1050 users online (178 members and 872 guests)  

Websleuths News

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.

Passers-by rescue children in icy waters! Amazing!

How about some wonderful news of many people helping to save lives even when it looked like there were 2 children who were not going to make it! There have been so many sad stories I really hope this lifts someone's spirits. I did mine.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_19659347

SALT LAKE CITY—As many as 10 people jumped into an icy Utah river to help save three trapped children after a car plunged down a 10-foot embankment and flipped over, the state's Highway Patrol said Sunday.
    The rescuers helped turn the Honda Accord upright in the Logan River, and one man shot out the car's window with a handgun and cut a seat belt to help free the children after the Saturday afternoon accident, patrol Lt. Steve Winward said.

Willden, a Department of Defense contractor with a background in law enforcement, shot out one window with his Glock handgun after trying unsuccessfully to open windows and doors. As he reached upward searching for arms and legs, he felt nothing.
    "I remember thinking to myself, 'You're going to see some dead kids, get ready,'" Willden said. "I've got three of my own and it was going to be (an awful) start to the New Year."
    That's when he turned to see six or so other men scrambling down the bank into the water. Together they pushed up on the vehicle enough...
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

Great story. It is a happy new year for all involved.

Roger Andersen said Sunday that his 9-year old daughter and 4-year-old son were out of the intensive care unit and have been upgraded to fair condition. He said the heroic actions of bystanders proved there are still good people in the world.

"I'm confident that there were angels watching over us from above," Andersen said. "But I also know there were eight angels in the water with me."
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=18704676&autostart=y
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Awww makes me tear up. The video at Mysteriew's link above shows great pictures of cars location.

It is so wonderful to hear good endings like this here where we deal with so many sad endings. I loved the quote about the 8 angels with him.

God Bless those people.

Thank goodness!! Its good to read some good news.

Father thanks passers-by who saved three children from icy river crash

'It's a story to me that is inspiring in many ways' says grateful driver."

"Roger Andersen thought it was over."

"The 46-year-old lost control of his car this weekend on a winding Utah canyon road and slid into an icy river, trapping his 9-year-old daughter Mia and 4-year-old son Baylor, along with their friend, 9-year-old Kenya Wildman. The car flipped upside-down and quickly became submerged."

"The first thought was, 'So this is it how it ends," Andersen said while choking back tears Monday. "This could very easily have been a funeral for four of us."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45853756/ns/us_news-life/

I heard today the oldest child was fine and was complaining about going back to school so soon. LOL little does she realize how close she and her siblings were to never seeing the light of day again.

God bless this family and the many people who stopped to help.

Knowing what I do of that area, I'd have to venture a guess that there's a higher than average amount of Eagle Scouts per capita! I'd bet real dollars that a solid half of those rescuers had that title under their belt.

Quick, fearless, and capable men make excellent neighbors. Bless each and every one of them, for certain.