Photos of dead aim to bring new life to cold cases

mysticrose

The key to change... is to let go of fear
Reaction score

MILWAUKEE -- Forensic investigator Michael Simley knows his photographs are unsettling.

They show corpses' faces, many of them bloated with discolored skin.

But Simley says he's posting them online for an important reason: They deserve identities.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of November 13, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! A very good step forward in identification methods-- less expensive and far reaching. I think this is wonderful (though disturbing), it's an accurate way to get the job done. :clap:

I hope many, many families are able to finally claim their lost and give them the respectful treatment they deserve.

I'm surprised at the number of fetuses they have found.

I tried to look at them as if I were looking for a missing relative. It would be pretty tough. But if desperate enough it would be doable. Certainly no harder than actually viewing the relative in that condition in a mortuary.

Ive seen some sketches and clay heads that are not very well done... and a few that were creepy as all get out.... Usually they dont put up the really bad images anyway......Plus alot ( not all by any means) are in a type of lifestyle that the families know can be bad or dangerous.... I am not saying that will make it better to veiw a loved ones face but it may make it slightly better to handle.

I think this is a great idea but I think it will be pretty hard to identify some of these people because of the change in their facial features. Especially the babies because so many babies look alike. I do hope it helps though!!

Must say it's about time this practice started becoming more widespread, as we saw in Las Vegas it's going to bring home a lot of people.

An Illinois county has taken the controversial step of posting photographs of unclaimed bodies online in the hope that it will help lead to identification and closure for the families of the deceased.
The relaunched website, which covers deaths in Cook County, Illinois launched on Wednesday and currently features seven photos of three unclaimed bodies, two that have been at the morgue since 2011 and one since 2010.
Cook County Medical Examiner Dr. Steve Cina, who is behind the new site, admits the images may be too graphic for many but believes that the ends justify the means.

Hope this info helps someone.

I was just looking through the site for Cook County, and I was really surprised to see that they have a body of an asian woman who had a hip replacement. They have the brand-name of the replacement and 4 separate identification numbers. Aren't the numbers stored in some type of database or something? (Or, is that just a tv/movie thing?)

I just found it strange they would have the numbers and not be able to identify her through that.

If Facebook is now using facial recognition software to identify photographs of people on their site, could law enforcement also start using it for a national database of photographs of missing persons and for photographs of unidentified dead people? Of course it wouldn't work on those who are already decomposed or on the facial structures of skulls, at least that I know of.

I suppose they could experiment on known dead people and their photographs to see if it's even practical.

An investigator posting pictures online of dead from cold cases is generating controversy.
www.wkyc.com
www.wkyc.com

MILWAUKEE -- Forensic investigator Michael Simley knows his photographs are unsettling.

They show corpses' faces, many of them bloated with discolored skin.

But Simley says he's posting them online for an important reason: They deserve identities.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of November 13, 2022>

The Mind's Mode

I think if the media and society is interested in enough about crime intrigue to 'breathe new life' into serial killers such as Jack the Ripper and Charles Manson by making movies about them, then certainly victims' families deserve to voice their demands for the corpses of their loved ones to be circulated so that these images will add to the discussion about 'crime intrigue.'

If we take Jack the Ripper and make alternative theories such as "Perhaps he wanted to make a message about the feminine mystique or women wearing brooches when he killed prostitutes in London's East End," then we can see how public scrutiny of the condition of the victims' bodies will add to dialogue about 'criminality mentality.'

If we take Charles Manson and make alternative theories such as, "Manson wanted to silence those he deemed unworthy to American society and so he would fantasize about stabbing people in the neck so as to end their cries," then we can see how public scrutiny of the condition of the victims' bodies will add to dialogue about 'criminal personalities.'

:drumroll:

Ed_Gein_Headstone.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member