749 users online (64 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Maggie, 18, & Mary Jenkins, 16, Key Largo, 3 May 1973

Searched for a thread on these sisters but found nothing.

It was spring 1973, when hitchhiking was common practice for young people with somewhere to go and no car to drive there.

Maggie and Mary Jenkins were sisters, just 18 and 16 years old. The former North Scranton Junior High School students' journey to Key West was supposed to be a carefree break soaking in the Florida sun. The sisters, who had grown up in Scranton, were last seen hitchhiking back to their parents' home in suburban New Jersey.

They never returned, and their deaths remain a mystery.

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/col...#ixzz1iQv7LZk4
    "Silence is very imporant. The silence between the notes are as important as the notes themselves." - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Two teen age girls hitch hiking that far in 1973?
    Good Lord.Its amazing they even made it to Florida.The youngest sister was a minor did they have anyone looking after them when they came up with that brainstorm idea?
    I hope the DNA is able to yield some answers.

This is classic, I mean classic for Gerald Stano. I just finished a book titled "I would find a girl walking." He committed double murders of female hitchikers, not just single murders.

He had ties to both FL and NJ. He was eventually tied to 22 murders, but LE believed there were many more.

Gerald Stano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 04-16-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    This is classic, I mean classic for Gerald Stano. I just finished a book titled "I would find a girl walking." He committed double murders of female hitchikers, not just single murders.

He had ties to both FL and NJ. He was eventually tied to 22 murders, but LE believed there were many more.

Gerald Stano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gerald Stano was still young at that year but according to himself already killing. However I read that he didn't sexually assault his victims and mostly stabbed and/or strangled them?

I was thinking of the modus operandi of Gerard John Schaefer who lived in Florida and picked up young girls hitchhiking. He picked them up in pairs because it excited him to kill 'doubles'. However, I believe he was in jail early 1973 so that doesn't fit him, but maybe somebody got 'inspired' by the news of his arrest. A copycat?

Schaefer was in jail

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockh View Post
    Gerald Stano was still young at that year but according to himself already killing. However I read that he didn't sexually assault his victims and mostly stabbed and/or strangled them?

I was thinking of the modus operandi of Gerard John Schaefer who lived in Florida and picked up young girls hitchhiking. He picked them up in pairs because it excited him to kill 'doubles'. However, I believe he was in jail early 1973 so that doesn't fit him, but maybe somebody got 'inspired' by the news of his arrest. A copycat?
    7/24/72 - Schaefer is charged with aggravated assault and false imprisonment, and released on bond.
    01/08/73 - Colette Goodenough and Barbara Wilcox, both 19, set out from Biloxi, MS, hitchhiking to Florida and are never seen again. Identification and papers belonging to the girls are later found in Schaefer's mother's home. Both bodies were recovered in 1977 at Port Saint Lucie.

01/15/73 - Schaefer begins serving his sentence for the crimes against Trotter and Wells.
    You are very correct, reading the details of the disappearance of the girls. the case reads just like a Gerard Schaefer murder, however you are correct, he started serving his jail time in January 1973.

Investigation of two Scranton sisters' 1970s murders still open; new technology may help

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...300315/-1/NEWS

We need to get this solved, I am from Scranton PA - this is a cold case that has wrecked my hometown