Canadian man uses iPad to enter US

He didn't enter just on a scanned copy of his passport on his Ipad from what I can tell.

"In this case, the individual had both a driver's license and birth certificate, which the CBP officer used to determine identity and citizenship in order to admit the traveler into the country,"

statement today from the dept. of homeland security:

Washington - The assertion that a traveler was admitted into the U.S. using solely a scanned image of his passport on an iPad is categorically false. In this case, the individual had both a driver's license and birth certificate, which the CBP officer used to determine identity and citizenship in order to admit the traveler into the country.

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/01042012_2.xml

btw, i frequently cross the border @ detroit and since they absolutely do require a passport or other authorized doc -which it sounds like this guy didn't have- i honestly don't know how he got through. canadians were told to have and use a passport b/c it was required by US law now.

statement today from the dept. of homeland security:

Washington - The assertion that a traveler was admitted into the U.S. using solely a scanned image of his passport on an iPad is categorically false. In this case, the individual had both a driver's license and birth certificate, which the CBP officer used to determine identity and citizenship in order to admit the traveler into the country.

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/01042012_2.xml

btw, i frequently cross the border @ detroit and since they absolutely do require a passport or other authorized doc -which it sounds like this guy didn't have- i honestly don't know how he got through. canadians were told to have and use a passport b/c it was required by US law now.

yes it's absolutely mandatory to have a passport to and from the US and Canada. I don't think it was right call by the CBP officer to let this guy get through, imo. They made passports MANDATORY for a reason.

Luckily, he isn't a terrorist and all worked out fine but it's the what if that's scary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back