961 users online (191 members and 770 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OK - 1st U.S. execution of '12: was the verdict faulty, the killing in self-defense?

The killing in '94 happened about a mile from me; much discussion here at the time as to whether the incident was one of self-defense. At any rate, questions arise as to whether this was death penalty material. Personally, I never thought so.

Oklahoma inmate put to death for fatal stabbing during 1994 fight; 1st US execution this year (Daily Oklahoman)
    ---
    Gary Roland Welch, 49, was given a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in McAlester for fatally stabbing 35-year-old Robert Hardcastle in Miami, Okla. He was pronounced dead at 6:10 p.m.
    ---
    Welch's execution came nearly three weeks after he tried to kill himself by slitting his throat with a smuggled shaving razor. Prison officials and Welch's own court-appointed attorney insisted he was sane and understood his fate.
    ---
    His defiance at the hearing perhaps didn't help matters; whatever the case, though, the vote probably would have remained 3-2:
    He remained defiant at a hearing last month before the state Pardon and Parole Board, telling the board he wasn't “here today crying, begging or sniveling for my life.”

“I did what I had to do,” Welch told the panel. “I didn't intend to kill him, but I certainly didn't intend for him to kill me, either.” The board voted 3-2 to deny clemency.
    ---
    Why the charges were capital ones in the first place:
    Ben Loring, the lead prosecutor in the case, recalled Welch's self-defense argument as flimsy.
    ---
    “None of the physical evidence matched up to what he was saying.”
    ---
    “It just went way too far,' Loring said. “I'm not a big proponent of the death penalty, but if anybody deserved it, I felt the case (for a death sentence) should have been presented to a jury.”
    ---
    much more at link above: the Norse chants, the last meal from Long John Silver's, the send-off by fellow death row inmates

I'm okay with it . . . should do it more often IMHO
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

In my belief, one should empower the State to do as little killing as possible. This one stretched the limits.

Here's the local paper's account, highlighting the record of another participant who avoided the death penalty:

State Executes Welch (Miami News-Record)
    ---
    In 1994 Loring cited the pair's extensive criminal history, including a first-degree murder conviction and life sentence for [Claudie] Conover in Kansas in seeking the death penalty for the murder. Other items on Conover's record included assault with intent to commit murder, assault with a deadly weapon and burglary.

Welch's record at the time included two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, burglary, driving while intoxicated and numerous traffic violations, along with local charges of assault and battery on a police officer, aggravated assault on a police officer and burglary.
    ---
    Both Welch and Conover were sentenced to death. Welch was sentenced in 1996.

Conover's sentence was later reduced to life without parole. Welch was denied clemency last year on Dec. 5 by a 3-2 vote.
    ---
    much more at link above