NZ - 11 dead in fiery hot air balloon crash

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Eleven dead as hot air balloon crashes in New Zealand after fire breaks out in basket (Daily Mail)
Eleven people have been killed after a hot air balloon crashed in New Zealand shortly after it is believed to have hit power cables.

As the balloon came down near the rural town of Carterton, 150km north of the capital, Wellington, some people jumped out of the basket, but all those on board were killed.

Witnesses reported seeing 10metre-high flames rising from the basket, which was carrying five couples and a pilot, before it plummeted to the ground.
---
more at link above

horrifying

makes me pause about the notion of buying my father-in-law a ride for his birthday

As the balloon came down near the rural town of Carterton, 150km north of the capital, Wellington, some people jumped out of the basket, but all those on board were killed.<snipped>

I'm confused on how this is worded.. Sounds as tho possibly those that jumped from balloon may have survived by their stating above that some jumped out but ones on board the balloon all died..

And then..
'When we got there the farmer said a couple had jumped out and were over in the paddock.

'We went over their to investigate and see if they could help. They continued doing CPR on them until the right people arrived.'
This sounds promising as well that possibly they survived but what's most confusing is it said there were 5 couples and 1pilot aboard.. That's 11 and it states 11 died therefor leading one to believe that the 2 that jumped did not live but perished as well.. Idk??

Anyone?

The Mail piece looks to be compiled rather than edited - incoming info published without a filter. It's not pretty, but it's on-line quickly.

All eleven aboard at take-off died.

As on 9/11, I shudder at the terror and pain people have to feel to make them jump from a great height. God bless the victims and their families!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back