708 users online (105 members and 603 guests)  

Websleuths News

Bungee jumper survives cord-snap fall into croc-infested waters at Victoria Falls

Miracle escape for bungee jumper whose cord snapped plunging her into
    crocodile-infested water with tied feet... and she still managed to swim to shore
    (Mail on Sunday)
    A tourist has miraculously survived following a fall into crocodile-infested waters after the cord snapped while she was bungee jumping in Zambia.

Australian backpacker Erin Langworthy fell into the Zambezi river following the terrifying mishap, which happened as she leapt from a bridge at Victoria Falls on the country's border with Zimbabwe.

The 22-year-old told how her feet were still tied together as she fell head first into the fast-flowing rapids beneath the world's largest waterfall.
    ---
    Chilling footage of the incident shows the young holidaymaker, from Perth, leaping from the bridge which crosses a gorge 111 metres above the water.

It shows how her bungee cord snapped as she reached the bottom of her descent, sending her flying down towards the water below.

According to reports it is believed she was around 20 metres above the Zambezi when the cord broke.
    ---
    The story with pictures at link above; the video is at Deadspin:

This Is What It’s Like When Your Bungee Cord Breaks While Hurtling Toward Victoria Falls
    ---
    Maybe she chose a discount bungee cord provider, maybe it was a freak accident, but when she was about seven stories above the river, the cord broke and she was dumped into the water—feet still bound from the bungee apparatus. Did we mention the Zambezi is full of crocodiles?
    ---

wow-lucky girl!

That was one of the scariest videos I've ever seen. I am terrified of heights anyway, so just watching her jump made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. But, when the rope broke, I felt like I was going to be sick. If I hadn't known the outcome, it would have been absolutely horrifying! So lucky, she is!

Now, I hope she just gets treated for all the parasites she may have blasted into her system.

Ohh I got questions...... how long before she bungee jumps again?

How long before the next person in line behind her got to jump?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I saw this in a CNN video. There the narrator said, "Then the unthinkable happened." No, not "unthinkable". Which is why I don't go bungee jumping. Especially in Africa.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    I saw this in a CNN video. There the narrator said, "Then the unthinkable happened." No, not "unthinkable". Which is why I don't go bungee jumping. Especially in Africa.
    Neither do I. Anywhere and not just in Africa. I love how the video said that the company assures bungee jumping is safe. Yea, we all just saw how safe it was. And this woman was very small (it's not like she was pushing the weight limits) so why did the cord snapped?
    Just my opinion

Can you imagine being one of the other jumpers dangling there in the air? I'm sure they were wondering how (and if!) their rigs were holding!