IL - Woman rode elevator to her death in high-rise inferno

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'When the doors opened she was blown away': Woman killed in high-rise fire after unwittingly taking elevator to her death
A woman was engulfed in flames after she got into an elevator in her building and the doors opened up at a deadly blaze.

Shantel McCoy, 32, was returning home at 2am this morning, when she unwittingly rode to her death after a fire broke out on the floor she lived on.

Miss McCoy rode the elevator to the 12th floor in the Chicago block but when the doors opened she was hit with flames and searing heat.
---
[Fire Department Chief Joe Roccasalva] said: 'The door of the apartment that was on fire didn't close when they left and all the heat and gases and smoke poured into the hallway. When the elevator door opened up, she just got blasted.'
---
more, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above

'When elevator door opened ... she just got blasted'

local Chicago link

Older residential buildings in Chicago are not required to have sprinkler systems installed, according to the city. Older residential buildings can either install sprinkler systems or they can be evaluated and other safety upgrades can be put in place, accoriding to a building department spokesman.

The city council recently passed an extension which put off until 2015 the deadline for when building owners need to have the work done, according to the spokesman.

how absolutely horrible! i mean....wow....what are the odds? just tragic!

What is with all these elevator horror stories lately?

God Bless this poor woman!

Woof, if it wasn't for you and the Daily Mail (a U.K. paper), I wouldn't know anything about what's going on in the U.S. I think CNN, Fox and HLN have gone on vacation or something. They run the same story for weeks and just change a sentence here or there.

What is with all these elevator horror stories lately?
Probably my fault; I seem to be fixating on them as they seem to be cropping up madly. We've had "crushed to death" (NYC); "fell six stories to death" (San Antonio); and now this one, in Chicago.

There was also the recent "set on fire by man and burned to death" (NYC) but don't blame me for that one - someone else posted it!

God Bless this poor woman!

Woof, if it wasn't for you and the Daily Mail (a U.K. paper), I wouldn't know anything about what's going on in the U.S. I think CNN, Fox and HLN have gone on vacation or something. They run the same story for weeks and just change a sentence here or there.

Oh, I think that's the "new" journalism. My hometown paper barely has a writer on staff any more-- they copy crime reports by rote and run syndicated stories. Grrrrrr. Same with local news stations (at Thanksgiving they ran airport reports for an airport all the way across the country-- gmab. How can I use the status of Cincinnati's holiday crunch when I live on the west coast?! :banghead: An inane, ruinous trend that's destroying the fourth estate. IMO)

I used to follow my town very closely, but now days, it simply does no good! I have broken my lifelong habit of being filled in by those sources. Now, I use the internet. :cool:

Sorry for the OT rant-- I have to ask why the elevators were still running when firefighters were already on the scene? Is that something they handle or is it an automated system? I've never lived/worked in a highrise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back