Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #1

How did the clothing description come about? Husband or the witnesses?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

I would like to know that too. It was dark at that time of the morning, so I'm assuming the description came from the husband, but I don't know for sure.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I thought that was a little odd, too...and also, if she isn't in the bed or the house, why would you have to count on droplets in the sink to tell you she isn't home...
    Re the droplets, I thought it was odd too--is he a science teacher ? I need to look that up. It seemed oddly detached and analytical.

Another comment of his struck me as odd. In a video, when he told the reporter it was agonizing having his wife missing, he emitted an inappropriate laugh, and said something like "I guess that is how you feel when you are waiting for a missing loved one to come home". I'm paraphrasing but it was something along those lines. It's possible the laughing is nervous, but it makes me feel uneasy. Is he just trying to detach himself from the worry and distress of having Sherry missing?

ETA: I see he is an assistant principal--no academic field indicated.
    Last edited by Columbo; 01-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    Re the droplets, I thought it was odd too--is he a science teacher ? I need to look that up. It seemed oddly detached and analytical.

Another comment of his struck me as odd. In a video, when he told the reporter it was agonizing having his wife missing, he emitted an inappropriate laugh, and said something like "I guess that is how you feel when you are waiting for a missing loved one to come home". I'm paraphrasing but it was something along those lines. It's possible the laughing is nervous, but it makes me feel uneasy. Is he just trying to detach himself from the worry and distress of having Sherry missing?
    I am one of those people who laugh when nervous, so I won't hold that against him.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RT51 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RT51 View Post
    I am one of those people who laugh when nervous, so I won't hold that against him.
    I sometimes laugh when I'm nervous, too, but I feel like if I were in this situation, I wouldn't have it in me to laugh. However--I've never been in a situation where a loved one was missing, so I don't know how I would behave.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bdawk20 View Post
    Sadly, I agree with the staged crime scene theory. I would really like to know what evidence is on that shoe, though. I definitely see where people are coming from with the hit by a car theory, but it seems too "lucky" that no blood was found, noone heard or saw anything, and that the person would have taken her to cover it up and then had their wits about them enough to make it so she hasn't been found as of yet....
    I live in a rural area but nowhere near as thinly populated as Montana.

In my area, most farmers have more than one vehicle. They usually have a pickup or two, plus a smaller car for town runs (better gas mileage).

There has been more than one hit-and-run accident in my state that was solved after LE found that the vehicle involved had been parked in a machine shed right after the accident and just never taken out again.

No one has to allow a search of their property in this country without a warrant and simply refusing to allow a property search is not considered probable cause.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by liltexans View Post
    Do we know the last time her children saw her? Or anyone besides her husband?
    I saw a video (I think ABC) that included a short interview with one witness who said he saw someone that he is "almost" certain was her that morning, around 6:40 am along one of her known routes.

I think if there were any other women out running at that time of day, they would have come forward by now. So I'm thinking the witness probably did see Sherry Arnold.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

I saw or heard that quote too, but I don't place a lot of stock in eye witness accounts of this type. It was still dark and I got the impression that the witness saw the runner through a window.

I would like to know when her children last saw her.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

She had 2 pairs of pants on though, right? I guess her husband knew that she wore one specific pair under another when it was cold?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I wonder why she got up to go jogging if she allegedly told the husband she was tired and wanted to sleep in Saturday.
    All my life (54 years), my father has gotten up at 5 am. For someone like my dad, sleeping until 6 am is "sleeping in."

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

I think the description said leggings and pants or something. I'm not a runner so I don't really know the terminology for runners' clothing.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrainneDhu View Post
    I saw a video (I think ABC) that included a short interview with one witness who said he saw someone that he is "almost" certain was her that morning, around 6:40 am along one of her known routes.

I think if there were any other women out running at that time of day, they would have come forward by now. So I'm thinking the witness probably did see Sherry Arnold.
    Investigators interviewed a local resident Tuesday who believed he was the last to see Arnold when she jogged past his car at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday.

"I'm not 100 percent sure, but I have a strong feeling it might have been [Arnold]," local resident Lonnie Lyttle told ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-mon...ry?id=15337011

She jogged past his car in the dark, and he "has a strong feeling it might have been her". Far from conclusive, imo...

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bdawk20 For This Useful Post:

I think the description said leggings and pants or
    something. I'm not a runner so I don't really know the terminology for runners' clothing.
    This is what it said from the first published article:

She was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with a white stripe, red nylon pants with black leggings.

http://www.kbzk.com/news/search-unde...ntana-teacher/

Curious that it is such a specific description, and yet no one really saw her up close in the light that day that we know of anyway.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    I sometimes laugh when I'm nervous, too, but I feel like if I were in this situation, I wouldn't have it in me to laugh. However--I've never been in a situation where a loved one was missing, so I don't know how I would behave.
    My mother died in hospice several months ago while I was holding her hand. I had been instructed to ring for the nurse if she stopped breathing but I was so overwhelmed, that went completely out of my head and I just sat there for about ten minutes holding her hand.

Her doctor came in and asked "how is Mrs {lastname} this morning?" and I said "she's dead."

The doctor looked absolutely stunned and I gave a nervous giggle. I didn't feel like laughing and I certainly wasn't laughing at him. I was just so overwhelmed that my nervous laugh escaped. It was just a reflex.

I'm glad the doctor didn't seem to take offence or find it abnormal in any way.

That's what's confusing. "She was last seen wearing", but by whom? Her husband says she wasn't home when he got back from his walk and the eye witness isn't completely sure he saw Sherry.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

Investigators interviewed a local resident Tuesday who believed he was the last to see Arnold when she jogged past his car at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday.

"I'm not 100 percent sure, but I have a strong feeling it might have been [Arnold]," local resident Lonnie Lyttle told ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-mon...ry?id=15337011

She jogged past his car in the dark, and he "has a strong feeling it might have been her". Far from conclusive, imo...
    Thank you for digging that up. So much for my memory!

Ordinarily, I would agree with you except that this is a small town. I doubt there were many people out running at that hour of the morning (or any hour, for that matter).

With such a small town, I find it hard to believe that there are any adults in town who have not heard of her disappearance. After all, they had 1000 out of the 6000 residents out searching for her.

Under the circumstances, I think if there had been anyone else out running at that hour, they would have come forward to say so.

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

My mother died in hospice several months ago while I was holding her hand. I had been instructed to ring for the nurse if she stopped breathing but I was so overwhelmed, that went completely out of my head and I just sat there for about ten minutes holding her hand.

Her doctor came in and asked "how is Mrs {lastname} this morning?" and I said "she's dead."

The doctor looked absolutely stunned and I gave a nervous giggle. I didn't feel like laughing and I certainly wasn't laughing at him. I was just so overwhelmed that my nervous laugh escaped. It was just a reflex.

Of course, it's not funny that your mother died,GrainneDhu, but in a way, there is some black humor in the fact that you had to answer the question "how is she doing?" and obviously, being dead is not doing well. Again--not funny, but I can see why you might have giggled. Or maybe it was just a reflex.

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

That's what's confusing. "She was last seen wearing", but by whom? Her husband says she wasn't home when he got back from his walk and the eye witness isn't completely sure he saw Sherry.
    I agree....confusing. Even if the witness was sure he saw her, the outfit description is all dark clothing, and it was dark out. To be honest I went out to get the mail today, stood and had a conversation with my neighbor and can't remember for the life of me what she was wearing, and it was light out. The only thing is what some people have suggested - that maybe she had a habit of wearing a particular outfit when she went out jogging, and that those clothes are unaccounted for now, but it seems wrong to say "last seen wearing" if nobody actually saw her or can be 100% certain that they saw her.

35. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bdawk20 For This Useful Post:

Maybe a combination of:

*she usually wore those outer garments when running in the winter

*the witness described a runner wearing those garments

*those garments are missing from her home

Doesn't seem so unlikely to me that her outfit was known. (all of the above is speculation, just to be clear)

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

It could just be poor reporting and no one has actually said "I saw Sherry wearing...". Otherwise, I agree that it shouldn't be worded that way if it's just an assumption based on what's missing from the house and what she normally wears to jog.

39. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

I agree....confusing. Even if the witness was sure he saw her, the outfit description is all dark clothing, and it was dark out. To be honest I went out to get the mail today, stood and had a conversation with my neighbor and can't remember for the life of me what she was wearing, and it was light out. The only thing is what some people have suggested - that maybe she had a habit of wearing a particular outfit when she went out jogging, and that those clothes are unaccounted for now, but it seems wrong to say "last seen wearing" if nobody actually saw her or can be 100% certain that they saw her.
    Exactly. My husband and daughter run in the mornings. I would be able to describe the running shoes to a "T," but I probably could not give an exact description of their clothing if I had not seen them directly in the morning. I could probably rule out a lot of clothes by process of elimination for my husband, but I would feel really uncomfortable giving a "guesstimation" description in that case. Unless the police just pressed for it, I suppose.

41. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

It could just be poor reporting and no one has actually said "I saw Sherry wearing...". Otherwise, I agree that it shouldn't be worded that way if it's just an assumption based on what's missing from the house and what she normally wears to jog.
    Very possibly poor reporting. Every article I read still says she was last seen leaving her home to go for a jog @ 6:30 Saturday morning, but we know since her husband spoke that that it incorrect, since it seems noone actually saw her leave the house. Which, come to think of it, makes me now wonder how they know she left @ 6:30 at all. Her husband said she didn't have a standing route, and the witness that saw her around that time isn't certain it was her. Couldn't she have maybe left the house earlier, then?

43. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bdawk20 For This Useful Post:

Very possibly poor reporting. Every article I read still says she was last seen leaving her home to go for a jog @ 6:30 Saturday morning, but we know since her husband spoke, that it incorrect, since it seems noone actually saw her leave the house. Which, come to think of it, makes me now wonder how they know she left @ 6:30 at all. Her husband said she didn't have a standing route, and the witness that saw her around that time isn't certain it was her. Couldn't she have maybe left the house earlier, then?
    Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. She may have left the house earlier that morning or the night before. That's why I want to know the last time anyone saw her other than her husband.

45. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:

Sorry about your mother. When my mom was ill it was a long way from where I lived. While out there, she passed away. When I returned, someone I hadn't seen in a while asked how she was. I laughed and said "she's dead".
    The poor lady was mortified.
    Of course it wasn't funny, but I do know what you mean.

47. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to taagean For This Useful Post:

According to an article in the student paper:

http://thesop.org/story/20120112/dis...community.html

Another observation of Lonnie Lyttle that is perhaps of even more pertinence, as far as what may have happened to Sherry Arnold, is that he noticed a vehicle hovering close to Sherry.
    This does not look good.

49. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast