WA WA - Kathryn Gregory, 24, Spokane, 4 Nov 1981

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Kathy was a nurse at a local hospital. Her husband Brian reports last seeing her on the morning or 11-04-1981. They had returned home from shopping in downtown Spokane about 11 am. Brian left for work arriving about 11:20. Kathy did not report for her 2 pm shift. See was not reported missing to police until the next morning. Her car was found parked on the street 2 blocks away which was considered unusual for her.

Clothing

possibly wearing a green and orange ski coat, brown sweater with green and brown horizontal stripe and blue jeans.
Footwear
Wooden sandals with a flower on the toe strap.
Jewelry
gold wedding ring with a diamond
Accessories
Wine colored clutch purse

https://www.findthemissing.org/photos/full/17754

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10414/32/

Kathryn was featured in a great article in The Inlander, a Spokane based paper. More details.

Missing: Kathryn Gregory
The 32-year-old case that has one local investigator shaking his head

[snip]

At 24, Gregory was married and lived in a tiny brick house on Tekoa Street, just south of Manito Park. She lived a conservative, average life, according to Barrington, always showing up for her shift as a nurse at Spokane’s Deaconess Medical Center at least a half hour early, always parking her chocolate brown 1978 Toyota Corolla in the same parking lot across from the hospital.

So when she didn’t show up for her 1 pm shift on the afternoon of Nov. 4, her co-workers started worrying. Her car wasn’t in the lot, and she hadn’t called to say she was sick.

[snip]

On Nov. 6, two days after her disappearance, her car was located, parked on the street at Fifth and Monroe — just one block from the front doors of Deaconess, but in a place her co-workers said Gregory would never park. Though Fred “Kevin” Coe, the notorious South Hill rapist, had been put behind bars that July, his presence had left women in Spokane acutely aware of their safety.

More: http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-19687-missing-kathryn-gregory.html

I hadn't heard of this case until it came across my feed on FB today. I find it interesting her seat was pushed all the way back indicating a tall person was driving, probably a man. So where was her or her body at this point? How was he able to park and no one see him in the middle of the day? Sad. No one may ever know what happened to Kathryn.

I had never heard of Kathryn before so I did a little bit of research. I found this great scholarship that her family put out there and they use her maiden name for that scholarship. Here is a letter from her parents (from 2001) and a link to the main page as well:
http://www.kathyrahescholarship.org/about/kathys-parents/

http://www.kathyrahescholarship.org/

ETA : Kathy's parents died in 2012. Her mom died 4 months to the day after her dad died. I found this information on the scholarship website. How sad they didn't know what happened to their daughter before they passed.

No matter where Ive lived in Western Montana or Idaho Ive always gotten Spokane TV stations I remember this one well.
Prayers for Kathryn Gregory AND Julie Weflen.
I would not be at all surprised to learn one day that the two cases are connected.

Is her husband still alive? Was he officially cleared as a suspect? Has Kathryn been declared officially dead?

Is her husband still alive? Was he officially cleared as a suspect? Has Kathryn been declared officially dead?

Brian Gregory was alive last I checked, & working in Seattle at another radio station. He was a suspect in the case, as he's the last person to see her alive. Police never said if he or anyone else for that matter have been cleared. The husbands story seems odd but with no body there is zero evidence of a crime. Off the top of my head I can think of 5 women who vanished between 1974-1988 in the Spokane area. And there's a bunch of unsolved murders during the same period. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was more than one serial killer active in Spokane during these years.

As is usual in missing persons/homicide cases, family members, especially male partners, are always investigated as possible suspects. No one was ever arrested or tried, and no one has ever been formally "cleared" in this case.

Terri Rahe Sidrow
Kathy's sister

Her husband, Brian Neil Gregory, is still alive and working in the radio business in Seattle. He has a webpage, www.briangregory.com. No one has been "officially cleared" or arrested or tried in this case.

Several years after Kathy's disappearance, Brian divorced her. This is common in missing persons cases. In many cases, this means that the bereft spouse wishes to remarry. In Brian's case, he has been married twice since Kathy disappeared.

At some point she was declared officially dead and Brian received her life insurance payout. The Rahe family, Kathy's birth family, had nothing to do with the death declaration and has no information on who initiated this legal process or why.

Terri Rahe Sidrow
Kathy's sister

Why would they set the scholarship under her married name and not married name? Can't you go through public records to see who filed the death declaration? Is a death declaration the same as declaring someone legally dead? If someone is gone a certain amount of time, aren't they just assumed to be dead?

First off I'm truly sorry about your sister Kathy and can't imagine the hell you've been through. I was born and raised in Spokane and I'm always looking for clues or anything that might help break one of the areas cold cases, or at least get it being talked about again. Kathy's case is so similar to other missing women around Spokane. Laurie Partridge really stands out to me because both were on the south hill and both just disappeared while walking, one to her car, the other to her house. Obviously Julie Weflen comes to mind, not to mention the two identical Idaho cases from the same period. I really wish the crime lab would've processed Kathy's car instead of just releasing it back to Brian. There had to be something in that car of evidentiary value. Freaking Keystone Cops up here! If there's anything I could do to help bring attention to Kathy's case please just ask. There's not a lot I can do but if you want I could put some fliers up around Sacred Heart & Deaconess Hospital. Maybe after so long someone will come forward? I've seen other cases where a reluctant witness doesn't come forward at the time of the crime and just assumes the case got solved- then years later a flyer or poster jogs their memory and they finally call police with a tip. I know it's a long shot but it couldn't hurt trying. Anyways I wish you & your family the best, and hope you can get some answers soon. 35 years-- It's been way too long....

First off I'm truly sorry about your sister Kathy and can't imagine the hell you've been through. I was born and raised in Spokane and I'm always looking for clues or anything that might help break one of the areas cold cases, or at least get it being talked about again. Kathy's case is so similar to other missing women around Spokane. Laurie Partridge really stands out to me because both were on the south hill and both just disappeared while walking, one to her car, the other to her house. Obviously Julie Weflen comes to mind, not to mention the two identical Idaho cases from the same period. I really wish the crime lab would've processed Kathy's car instead of just releasing it back to Brian. There had to be something in that car of evidentiary value. Freaking Keystone Cops up here! If there's anything I could do to help bring attention to Kathy's case please just ask. There's not a lot I can do but if you want I could put some fliers up around Sacred Heart & Deaconess Hospital. Maybe after so long someone will come forward? I've seen other cases where a reluctant witness doesn't come forward at the time of the crime and just assumes the case got solved- then years later a flyer or poster jogs their memory and they finally call police with a tip. I know it's a long shot but it couldn't hurt trying. Anyways I wish you & your family the best, and hope you can get some answers soon. 35 years-- It's been way too long....

This post is directed to Kathy Rahe's sister starjasmn. I messed up and didn't post it correctly the first time..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back