1170 users online (191 members and 979 guests)  

Websleuths News

8'4", 18th c. Irish Giant still not resting in peace

Why can't this gentle giant rest in peace? The undignified fight
    over the skeleton of an 8ft 4in colossus exhibited as a freak in his lifetime

He was so tall that he could light his pipe from a street lamp. He was said to be more than 8ft 4in (although his skeleton suggests he was actually nearer 8ft). His voice sounded ‘like thunder’, his hands and feet were immense and he had a gentle manner — when he was sober.

Charles Byrne, known as the Irish Giant, was the toast of Georgian London after arriving to seek his fortune at the age of 21 and being put on show as a freak.

People flocked to see him. Newspapers printed breathless reports of his astonishing size. The King and Queen received him, and the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire — the leading lights of fashionable society — took their friends to see Byrne.
    ---
    And what might an eight-foot-tall Irish Giant most fear?
    A devout Catholic, mindful of the after-life, he left strict instructions that his body should be buried at sea in a lead-lined coffin: he was desperate that his remains escape the attentions of surgeons and scientists who were eager to dissect it and place it on public display.

But his last wishes were cruelly ignored and his worst fears realised when an eminent surgeon managed to snatch the body and put his skeleton on display in the Royal College of Surgeons — where it remains today.
    Anything perhaps being done to rectify this sad fate?
    Now two academics have mounted a campaign to fulfil his dying wishes and give the Irish Giant the burial he wanted. Writing in the British Medical Journal, Thomas Muinzer, a legal researcher at Queen’s University Belfast, and Len Doyal, professor of medical ethics at the University of London, argue there is no scientific benefit from continuing to display his remains.

‘What has been done cannot be undone, but it can be morally rectified. Surely it is time to respect the memory and reputation of Byrne,’ they say.
    ---
    much more - lengthy, hugely interesting article on the Irish Giant, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above

There is a long history of giants in Irish history, probably due to a high incidence of Familial Isolated Pituitary Adenoma.

I hate the arrogance of the RCS in refusing to dispose of this man's remains in accordance with his wishes
    England's dancing days are done...

If I had a time machine I'd go back and watch him light his pipe from a street lamp.

essies is offline "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
    Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    There is a long history of giants in Irish history, probably due to a high incidence of Familial Isolated Pituitary Adenoma.

I hate the arrogance of the RCS in refusing to dispose of this man's remains in accordance with his wishes
    That's horrible!! At this stage of science they could save some DNA and still respect his wishes!!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
    The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    If I had a time machine I'd go back and watch him light his pipe from a street lamp.
    Really, that's what you'd do? You wouldn't kill Hitler.

I agree with those who say his dying wishes should be fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Really, that's what you'd do? You wouldn't kill Hitler.

I agree with those who say his dying wishes should be fulfilled.
    Would kill Adolf on way back to 2012. Not a one shot thing, time machines. Would also correct Don Denkinger's
    blown call in Game 6 of '85 Cards-Royals series. Possibly before killing Hitler - oh, okay, maybe not, maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Would kill Adolf on way back to 2012. Not a one shot thing, time machines. Would also correct Don Denkinger's
    blown call in Game 6 of '85 Cards-Royals series. Possibly before killing Hitler - oh, okay, maybe not, maybe not!

I'd yell "SCOTT BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL IT'S GOING TO GO WIDE RIGHT IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL!!!"