1099 users online (220 members and 879 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    greenpalm is offline I don't say much unless I've really thought it through. Then I go on and on.

TX - Denise Stoddard, 49, Plano, 6 Jan 2012

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Woman...136973613.html

"Police treated Stoddard's disappearance as a missing person case, but when four children saw a body floating in the creek on their way home from school, police began taking steps to determine if it was Stoddard."

I take my kids to play at this park. :-(

thanks for the info

so.....??????

wonder who knows why this happened?

Yet another wife who "just disappears," and the husband knows nothing about it. Sigh.

greenpalm is offline I don't say much unless I've really thought it through. Then I go on and on.
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Loved...137030518.html

Video at the link

"Plano police say they do not believe foul play was involved after pulling the body of 49-year-old Denise Stoddard from a Plano creek Monday."
    I'm not convinced that there was no foul play. It seems like they always say that at the beginning, in the absence of obvious gunshot wounds. Why didn't he report her missing until the next day? The creek where she was found ran right behind the church.

It's weird to actually know a neighborhood in one of these cases. To be very familiar with the location. She's got a 9 year old. & a 17 year old.

A different local news outlet says the husband reported her missing early Friday afternoon. However they also claim she is at the Tarrant County ME's office and I know Collin County (where Plano is located) does not use the Tarrant County ME so I question the information.
    http://www.the33tv.com/about/station...,2055503.story

The husband blames her going off her bipolar meds.

We must be neighbors, Greenpalm.

WFAA says the husband reported her missing on Saturday and that she likley walked out of the house when he was in the bathroom.
    "Police said her husband reported her missing on Saturday."
    "He was in one part of the house — probably the bathroom — and when he came out, she was gone," said Plano police spokesman Andre Smith
    33tv says he reported her missing on Friday and that he noticed she wasn't home when he came home from work.

Chris Stoddard said his nightmare began Friday when he came home and his wife Denise wasn't there.

"
    I thought she was just going for a walk. But as time went by I realized it was more than just a walk," said Chris Stoddard. "When I discovered she had left the house without her wallet, without her identification, without her keys, I was concerned."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How nice of him to say we should encourage people who are bi-polar to take their meds. Is he blaming the victim? (He also admitted that they "couldn't afford" to keep up with her meds, not that she had meds but didn't take them.)

It seems to me that if my loved one who was bi-polar and without meds disappeared on foot without ID or money, and if I assumed that she had just gone for a walk, I'd get out there and look for her. The near-by park would be a likely place to start. I wonder if he looked for her at all? MOO

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Loved...137030518.html

The church sits in front of the creek where schoolchildren first spotted Stoddard's body Monday. The creek is part of Bob Woodruff Park, and is not far from the Stoddard's home just a few blocks away.
    They attended Plano Bible Church. This article says that friends and family did search for her.

It was cold and rainy in Plano when she disappeared, wasn't it? I wonder if she was wearing a coat and proper shoes. I can't imagine why she would have been slip-sliding around a muddy bank of a creek in that kind of weather.

Us Texans are used to dry heat, sandals and t-shirts...when the weather is cold and wet, I don't go outside and play in the mud! MOO

Friday was a nice day but then Monday it got bad and as of yesterday that creek was very full and rushing. There is a nice paved trail system that runs along the creek in some places.

First of all, let me say, I know this family personally. My teenage daughter, and Denise's daughter have been friends since the 6th grade. I do not believe for a second that Denise's husband is involved. He is blind, and he loves his family very much.

Denise suffered from bi-polar disorder. She was always very nice when we met. Our daughters slept over at each others houses quite frequently and were very close.

The night she disappeared, Denise told her husband she was going somewhere very far away. I have this second hand from my daughter. Of course, Denise was always making smart ass comments, so who knows what she meant by that.

I live 1/4 of a mile from where Denise and her family lived, as well as a 1/4 mile from where her body was found. My middle daughter goes to school with the kids that found her.

Now that all of that has been said.... What bothers me is that Denise got dressed and left her home (her kids/husband), disappeared for 4 days before her body was found. Some people are saying suicide, but how does a body end up in a creek a 1/4 mile from home if it is suicide?

This is one case that I never imagined would happen. To see it on websleuths is beyond my comprehension at this point. I want answers, and this hits too close to home to even begin to explain.

God Bless their family and I hope there is an answer soon.
    Last edited by GypsyPrincess; 01-11-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Gypsy: can you tell me if it was AMS or Forman students that found her?

My thought is that she somehow died, suicide or health issues or whatever and with the creek rising and rushing during the heavy rains on Sunday into Monday it may have carried her body a bit. Just conjecture on my part. I may be way off base. I agree that locally everybody seems to think her husband is in no way involved.

As far as I know, it was AMS students. Some "smokers" that walk home discovered the body.

Gypsy, thank you for your insight. You are right there in the thick of things, aren't you? I am sorry for the loss of your friend! My sympathies to your daughter as well. What a shock this must be for her!

I live about 3 hours away from Plano, so I was wrong about the weather being cold and wet on Friday. It does make much more sense that Denise could have collapsed in an area close to the creek on Friday (while the water was low), then got washed in to the creek when waters rose after the rain a couple of days later. MOO

Do you know which news report is correct about when her husband last saw her?

Do you think it is possible that Denise lay there next to the creek in the park un-noticed, until after the rains? Is the area that secluded? Do you know if it was searched over the weekend?

Okay, I am going to write as if I didn't know her....

I can understand being off of bi-polar meds. I can understand being depressed. But to leave your children and husband no note, to not find a way to say good-bye before doing so, strikes me as odd. Also, to get dressed before leaving to kill yourself? Who the hell cares what you look like if you plan to die?

When I think of ways to kill oneself, I think overdose, gunshot to the head, hanging... None of these end up with a body in a creek. Where is her car?

Did she really mean "I am going far away" as in heaven, or was it I am 50 years old and tired of my life and I have met someone that is taking me away from here? Did she meet someone that hurt her? Did she jokingly say, I am going far away, meaning for a walk down the street and someone hurt her?

Too many unanswered questions. I just want answers. Her daughter is on my FB page for God Sakes! It is so sad that this has happened. Any death is sad, but unanswered ones are tragic. That is why I found this website and have enjoyed my time here so immensely. If it turns out that this was not suicide, I find comfort in knowing that websleuths is on the case. *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Gypsy, thank you for your insight. You are right there in the thick of things, aren't you? I am sorry for the loss of your friend! My sympathies to your daughter as well. What a shock this must be for her!

I live about 3 hours away from Plano, so I was wrong about the weather being cold and wet on Friday. It does make much more sense that Denise could have collapsed in an area close to the creek on Friday (while the water was low), then got washed in to the creek when waters rose after the rain a couple of days later. MOO

Do you know which news report is correct about when her husband last saw her?

Do you think it is possible that Denise lay there next to the creek in the park un-noticed, until after the rains? Is the area that secluded? Do you know if it was searched over the weekend?
    As far as I know, her husband went into the bathroom while she was getting dressed. He asked her where she was going and she said, far, far away. He took a shower, and when he got out she was gone. That was Friday night. He reported her missing on Saturday, and they were getting a search ready for Monday night, but she was found Monday afternoon.

*The area is right off of a fairly major traveled road. There are residential neighborhoods, schools, and it borders a park. There are trails that lead from the schools, through a neighborhood, and toward a major intersection. A church (the one she was found behind "Plano Bible Chapel") next to the neighborhood backs up to the trail and creek. I definitely wouldn't say secluded, but on a Friday night, with people not at home nor at church, not visible from the road and dark.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyPrincess View Post
    As far as I know, it was AMS students. Some "smokers" that walk home discovered the body.
    Ok, I have a 6th grader at AMS and was just wondering.

I'm just hoping the ME finds out it was just a natural death and the rain washed her body into the creek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast