910 users online (180 members and 730 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

WA - Sarah Yarborough, 16, Federal Way, 14 Dec 1991

The coldest case ever? Police trace DNA of 1991 killer back to 17th century family who came over on the Mayflower
    The 1991 murder of a teenage girl on her high-school campus may now finally be solved - thanks to the DNA of a 17th century family.

Seattle police investigating the death of Washington 16-year-old Sarah Yarborough say they are one step closer to catching her killer.

They have matched crime-scene DNA samples to the historic family of Robert Fuller, from Massachusetts, whose ancestors settled in Salem in 1630 after coming over on the Mayflower.

It means one of his descendants could be responsible for the teenager's death. But as almost 400 years have passed, the number of suspects could now run 'into the thousands'
    ---
    the rest, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above

I have a hard time with the fact that they have DNA from someone that traveled from England to America back in the 17th Century! I wonder where they got samples to test?
    This is just MOO

Did these people know that their DNA was being collected and kept? I doubt it.
    I'm just sayin...

"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I see Colleen Fitzpatrick was quoted in having a "probable" last name for the killer. She has about a half dozen "probable" last names for Benjaman Kyle, even down to a possible third cousin, according to the wiki site she set up for him. Yet, Mr. Kyles case is still unsolved.....

~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Vabrownid1 View Post
    I have a hard time with the fact that they have DNA from someone that traveled from England to America back in the 17th Century! I wonder where they got samples to test?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHousewife View Post
    Did these people know that their DNA was being collected and kept? I doubt it.

This information is obtained from the newer Y-dna, or male dna geneology databases. Thing is y-dna is not very stable and "morphs" or changes itself every so many generations. Ms. Fitzpatrick likely has a list of hundreds or thousands of possible last names, of which one was traceable back to the Mayflower. Not exactly a case solving "bombshell", imo.

I respect the work and knowledge, no doubt, however it's premature imo to believe y-dna is ground breaking technology to solve crimes due to the known changes in y-dna.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I would normally shrug off this information as an unlikely source of finding the killer, except for one thing: according to a 1992 Seattle Times article, the Yarboroughs are friends with a family named...the Fullers.

"Bill Fuller, who works at Weyerhaeuser with the Yarboroughs and whose daughter, Elizabeth, was one of Sarah's closest friends, has launched a fund-raising drive and commissioned Bonney Lake artist Larry Anderson to create a memorial in Sarah's honor."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...4&slug=1528262

I wonder if Bill Fuller has a son or other relative who knew Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphra View Post
    I would normally shrug off this information as an unlikely source of finding the killer, except for one thing: according to a 1992 Seattle Times article, the Yarboroughs are friends with a family named...the Fullers.

"Bill Fuller, who works at Weyerhaeuser with the Yarboroughs and whose daughter, Elizabeth, was one of Sarah's closest friends, has launched a fund-raising drive and commissioned Bonney Lake artist Larry Anderson to create a memorial in Sarah's honor."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...4&slug=1528262

I wonder if Bill Fuller has a son or other relative who knew Sarah.

Good one. Unfortunately, it looks like Bill Fuller was an only child and all he had was daughters, including E. bbm.

http://www.autoreviewonline.com/obit...onzglaw&pg=419

I can trace my maternal side to Mayflower. We may have married into a Fuller at some point and time between now and the Mayflower, I'll have to check.

This isn't a good lead. This is junk. Quite a few people can be traced back to the families of the Mayflower.
    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire