Gov. Haley Barbour approved full pardons for nearly 200 people

kittykat1

Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...red-wife-in-1993/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Pardoned. The guy shot his wife while she was holding a 2-month old baby. He then turned and shot another man, who survived the shooting.
Pardoned. After he was just denied parole a few weeks back.
Pardoned. He earned privileges for good behavior at a program he participated in at the governor's mansion, possibly leading to his pardon. HE COULD HAVE BEEN FAKING IT!
Pardoned. Sentenced to life in prison and now out, no monitoring, no parole, no nothing

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...red-wife-in-1993/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Pardoned. The guy shot his wife while she was holding a 2-month old baby. He then turned and shot another man, who survived the shooting.
Pardoned. After he was just denied parole a few weeks back.
Pardoned. He earned privileges for good behavior at a program he participated in at the governor's mansion, possibly leading to his pardon. HE COULD HAVE BEEN FAKING IT!
Pardoned. Sentenced to life in prison and now out, no monitoring, no parole, no nothing

I can't believe the governor did this! Somebody needs to be watching out for the safety of his child and his wife's family.

And, he left the baby there to lay in the mother's blood. The baby is lucky to have lived too. But, he worked in the Governor's Mansion, so this monster obviously got "special privileges." Haley Barbour needs to face some serious punishment himself. This is sickening! This man will kill again!

Does anyone know any details of the original story in 93?
Did he plead guilty?
Was anyone else ever a suspect?
Has he maintained his innocence?

Does anyone know any details of the original story in 93?
Did he plead guilty?
Was anyone else ever a suspect?
Has he maintained his innocence?

"In 1993, David Glenn Gatlin leveled a gun at the head of his wife, Tammy, and killed her while she held their 2-month-old child, then turned the gun on family friend Randy Walker and shot him in the head as well. Walker survived."

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120109/NEWS/201090322/Killer-pardoned-by-Barbour

http://www.10news.com/news/30166920/detail.html

In his last days in office, outgoing Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour pardoned four men convicted of murder, a state official said Monday.

David Gatlin, Joseph Ozment, Charles Hooker and Anthony McCray received full pardons and were released at 1 p.m. Sunday, said Suzanne Singletary, spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Corrections. All four were serving life sentences and worked as trusties at the governor's mansion, she said.

Wow! I have really thought he was a good governor. He especially shined during Hurricane Katrina. What on earth would possess him to do this on his way out?

My bad...he released 5 murderers in 2008. All also worked at the mansion.

scroll to bottom or article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2084337/Mississippi-Governor-Haley-Barbour-pardons-convicted-murderers.html

This is not the first time Gov. Haley Barbour has pardoned criminals.

Others, listed below, were also enrolled in the prison 'trusty' program which allows convicts to perform odd jobs around the governor's mansion based on their good behaviour.

South Mississippi lawmakers unsuccessfully attempted to reduce Barbour’s constitutional clemency powers in 2008.

Vinnie P. on HLN did a whole segmant about this yesterday - but he said only TWO killers were pardoned. Wonder if they just added the other two today?

That David Gatlin - he shot his wife, point blank range, in the forehead while she was holding their 6 month old baby! He also shot another man who was helping the mom, in the face. That guy was on with Vinnie (over the phone) yesterday.

They also said that this Gatlin guy and one of the other ones had been working at the Governor's mansion through a prison program and that's how Gov. got to know them.

GMAB!!!!

******walks away shaking head***************

Notice how most of those pardoned are men who either killed or injured their girlfriends or wives.

In the Governor's youth, many of these crimes were not even prosecuted, and were considered "crimes of passion". It used to be, a man who caught his wife in bed with another man could kill them both and be immune from prosecution.

She wasn't "in his arms" apparently, but in his home with her husband's baby.

I really don't know any of the particulars, including what his general personality was like and whether this was very much out of character for him, a case of him just "snapping".

After 18 years in prison, it seems like parole might be the way to go - I don't understand "pardoning" someone in this case. "Pardons", IMHO, should be reserved for cases where it comes to light the murderer was acting in self-defense or thought others were in grave danger.

you dont know how much my heart sank when I saw this topic... the guy that killed my father is in miss prison if they everrrrrrrrrrrr let that *advertiser censored* loose...

If he is going to pardon all of these murderers because of "tradition" I propose a new tradition that all pardoned murderers are required to live next door to their "Pardoners", or better yet, their grandchildren, and see how quick they are to let them out then.

Vinnie is covering this again. He just said that the numbers keep going up - first it was 2, then it was 4 and now they are hearing upwards of 16 murderers. This guy supposedly has pardoned 216 so far.

Unbelievable.

he's pardoned over 200, now.

it's mind-boggling when you consider that these felons, having committed some of the most heinous of all crimes, will no longer have any record whatsoever.

sick.

Right, I saw that, but usually you can find an article on what someone's plea was in court - I can't find anything???

I've seen on other sites that he turned himself in and admitted guilt.

I don't get this pardon at all....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back