Furor in Greece over pedophilia as a disability

UFO

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/furor-greece-over-pedophilia-disability-174002476.html

Greek disability groups expressed anger Monday at a government decision to expand a list of state-recognized disability categories to include pedophiles, exhibitionists and kleptomaniacs.

The National Confederation of Disabled People called the action "incomprehensible," and said pedophiles are now awarded a higher government disability pay than some people who have received organ transplants.

The Labor Ministry said categories added to the expanded list — that also includes pyromaniacs, compulsive gamblers, fetishists and sadomasochists — were included for purposes of medical assessment and used as a gauge for allocating financial assistance.

OK, hang on here. Can someone verify what I just read? I think I'm losing it.

No wonder Greece is in financial ruin.

Oh sure that makes sense. Identify a pedo, label them, call them disabled and unable to work, give them an income to support themselves. Give them more time to surf the web for *advertiser censored*. Give them more time to search out vulnerable kids. Give them more time to groom children. Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. Not!

Now if they wanted to go this route, I can see it if they were going to put them into supervised housing. Keep them in supervised activities and intense, comprehensive therapy.

But to just call them disabled and send them home with more time to play..... so happy I don't live there.

Oh sure that makes sense. Identify a pedo, label them, call them disabled and unable to work, give them an income to support themselves. Give them more time to surf the web for *advertiser censored*. Give them more time to search out vulnerable kids. Give them more time to groom children. Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. Not!

Now if they wanted to go this route, I can see it if they were going to put them into supervised housing. Keep them in supervised activities and intense, comprehensive therapy.

But to just call them disabled and send them home with more time to play..... so happy I don't live there.

I'm NOT defending the Greek ruling.

But to be fair, we in the U.S. now tend to agree that pedophiles can't change, can't control themselves and don't respond well to even the best and newest therapies. Doesn't that sound like an innate disability?

I'm not saying it's a disability that prevents them from earning a living, though if we continue the trend of expanding restricted zones from which pedophiles are banned, we may indeed prevent them from supporting themselves.

Again, my point here is not to say we should pity the poor pedophiles. I'm simply interested in the logic of how we conceive of pedophilia and how we conceive of disability. In some ways the Greek ruling makes more sense than American constructions in which pedophiles are considered both sick and "not sick".

But to be fair, we in the U.S. now tend to agree that pedophiles can't change, can't control themselves and don't respond well to even the best and newest therapies. Doesn't that sound like an innate disability?

I'm not saying it's a disability that prevents them from earning a living, though if we continue the trend of expanding restricted zones from which pedophiles are banned, we may indeed prevent them from supporting themselves.

Again, my point here is not to say we should pity the poor pedophiles. I'm simply interested in the logic of how we conceive of pedophilia and how we conceive of disability. In some ways the Greek ruling makes more sense than American constructions in which pedophiles are considered both sick and "not sick".

I completely understand what you are saying. Pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated, ever. We don't want them working with us or anywhere near our families, etc., yet we don't want to label them as disabled. I wish there was some magic solution to it all but it's a very complicated problem IMO.

:waitasec:

Maybe they're proposing to disable the pedophiles (*cough*) and it's just a translation problem with the story?

(jk - couldn't resist.)

Nova, I totally get where you are coming from. Legally, what is the definiton of "disability"?. Can it sink lower than pedophilia? I don't think so. So then all afflictions should be covered. I (hypothetically) have Road rage? Do I qualify? Cut me a check! Anywho, I think the Greek polititions need some fresh air. To me, this is insanity tripled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back