GUILTY OH - William Robinson, 8, dies of untreated Hodgkin's lymphoma, Cleveland, March 2008

peeples

Reaction score
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-parents-sentenced-cancer,0,7341528.story?hpt=ju_bn5

Monica Hussing, 37, and William Robinson, Sr., 40, face between two and eight years in prison for the death of William Robinson, Jr., also known as "Willie."

On March 22, 2008 Willie collapsed at his home on Cleveland's west side. He was suffering from a treatable form of Hodgkin's lymphoma -- but it hadn't been diagnosed because he had not been to see a doctor.

This is so awful. People think because they don't have health insurance, they can't get health care. It's like we've got this mindset that the public is BY GOD not going to spend their own money on health care, the way they spend their own money on cars and clothes and housing. Health care? Nope, not going to pay for that, if someone else doesn't pay I'm not going.

Even for the simplest things. I'm on this web health forum, and I swear there are SO MANY people who won't go in to a doc in a box health clinic for a bladder infection - or other very treatable ailment because they "don't have insurance so I can't go to a doctor". It's amazing the dire symptoms people post about their kids - looking for over the counter remedies for things you need to deal with in the emergency room, or preferably with a doctor before you reach that point. Oh sure, they've got their computer and internet service and I'm sure a cell phone and a car, but they're not about to shell out $150 to get their child well.

Makes me sick. Health care doesn't have to be virtually FREE with a copay for you to obtain it. That's what money is FOR, for crying out loud.

Sad sad sad that this aunt didn't call CPS before it was too late. The parents sure weren't about to set their checking accounts back to save their son.

Edited to add: When I looked up their address, it's a tidy little neighborhood in Cleveland. Cute and quaint. REALLY, they couldn't take this darling boy to the doctor???

This is so awful. People think because they don't have health insurance, they can't get health care. It's like we've got this mindset that the public is BY GOD not going to spend their own money on health care, the way they spend their own money on cars and clothes and housing. Health care? Nope, not going to pay for that, if someone else doesn't pay I'm not going.

Even for the simplest things. I'm on this web health forum, and I swear there are SO MANY people who won't go in to a doc in a box health clinic for a bladder infection - or other very treatable ailment because they "don't have insurance so I can't go to a doctor". It's amazing the dire symptoms people post about their kids - looking for over the counter remedies for things you need to deal with in the emergency room, or preferably with a doctor before you reach that point. Oh sure, they've got their computer and internet service and I'm sure a cell phone and a car, but they're not about to shell out $150 to get their child well.

Makes me sick. Health care doesn't have to be virtually FREE with a copay for you to obtain it. That's what money is FOR, for crying out loud.

Sad sad sad that this aunt didn't call CPS before it was too late. The parents sure weren't about to set their checking accounts back to save their son.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Here is another link I found, mugshots as well:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/01/parents_who_failed_to_get_medi.html

Hussing and Robinson Sr. had faced charges of involuntary manslaughter -- a first-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison -- felonious assault and three counts of child endangering.
William RobinsonSr.PNGCuyahoga County JailWilliam Robinson Sr.

Willie died shortly after his father took him to MetroHealth Medical Center in the final stages of Hodgkin's lymphoma, one of the most common and curable childhood cancers.

The couple moved to Cleveland three weeks before Willie died to avoid the scrutiny of Trumbull County Children's Services, which began investigating after Hussing's sister reported that Willie needed medical attention.

Willie's five siblings were also not going to school or getting medical care. They are now living with a maternal aunt, who supervises their parents' visits.

Cuyahoga County Children & Family Services continues to monitor the family.

THIS CHILD DID NOT HAVE TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps they should've saved some money for emergencies PRIOR to having FIVE children

oh and most parents would leverage themselves up to their eyeballs to get treatment for a sick kid

work three jobs, sell everything, most importantly ASK for help

UGH! That is even WORSE news, Tinsamd. This family had enough money for moving expenses, deposits, etc., but chose to spend the money to flee CPS and move to a different county rather than spend money to save their son.

I didn't realize the Aunt had in fact, reported this. Bless her. What is WRONG with them? To say they had no choice is flat wrong. It costs real money to move from one county to another, into a cute neighborhood. It's like they were actively refusing to save their darling son.

So we're talking a family of 8 here (6 children 2 adults) before this precious child passed. If they didn't have the money, they certainly would have qualified for State Assisted health care, or could go to a health clinic.

This is so incredibly sad :(

Rest in Peace, dear William Robinson Jr.

I want to kick your parents in the teeth.

I just checked and found the income guidelines for eligibility for the SCHIP program, which is medicaid for children. http://jfs.ohio.gov/ohp/consumers/HSHFIncomeGuidelines.pdf
For a family of 4 (it looks like they were a family of 8) the income is $3675 a month. Obviously with such a large family the income requirements were even higher. I highly doubt they made that much money and if they did there would be no excuse for them not the take their children to the doctor's. The point I am making is that their reasons for not taking their children to the doctor's most likely wasn't because of money. If I had to guess I would say they had things they wanted to hide. I can only imagine.

So, they ran from CPS rather than seek life-saving treatment for their son. Got it. Why are they not facing a longer sentence?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9SV72E03.htm

Ohio couple get 8 years each in son's cancer death

By THOMAS J. SHEERAN

CLEVELAND - The parents of an 8-year-old boy who died from Hodgkin lymphoma after suffering for months from undiagnosed swollen glands were sentenced to eight years in prison Thursday following their guilty pleas to denying him medical treatment.

Attorneys for Monica Hussing, 37, and William Robinson Sr., 40, had said the parents had financial problems and tried to get checkups for their son but couldn't afford it.

The couple was given the maximum sentence by Cuyahoga County Judge Michael Astrab, who accepted their guilty pleas last month to attempted involuntary manslaughter in a last-minute plea deal before their trial was about to begin. They were handcuffed and taken into custody immediately. Both plan to appeal the sentence....

I would sell my blood for money to take my boys to the doctor.

I pray this poor child didn't suffer.

I think its pretty clear the child suffered for quite some time. His own aunt said he was complaining of being in pain and asking to be taken to a doctor.

I'm glad these *#$^*% got the maximum of 8 years. It sickens me that they are even allowed supervised visits with their remaining children.

Check out the comment under the article from "eyesoncleveland" at January 10, 2012 at 4:37PM. If true, it makes this case even more sickeneing!

I'm glad these *#$^*% got the maximum of 8 years. It sickens me that they are even allowed supervised visits with their remaining children.

Check out the comment under the article from "eyesoncleveland" at January 10, 2012 at 4:37PM. If true, it makes this case even more sickeneing!

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03/cleveland_couple_charged_in_de.html

Those comments are also reported in the news. I can't believe they only got 8 years for this. :( The child was begging to go to a doctor.

They should have gotten way more time. How could anyone be so cheap as to just let their child die? I would sell every possession I own, if it would give treatment for my child. They. just. let. him. die. That completely bugs me out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back