603 users online (86 members and 517 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Question about UID comparisons

I am wondering if partial remains are ever compared to other partials...

If, say, a skull was found several years back and identified, and then recently a torso was found, would anything flag that both were from the same person, or would a new UID be entered, which obviously would never be claimed? Does anyone check to see if any other partials were found in the same location previously?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

If they've got DNA from both sets of remains entered in the database it can match them to each other. But nuclear DNA can only be compared to nuclear DNA and mitochondrial DNA to mitochondrial DNA; if one set has only nuclear DNA available and the other set mitochondrial DNA they don't match.

Coincidentally:

Gwinnett County, GA, January 11, 2012

"The Medical Examiner's Office said remains found on Brown Road on Thursday belong to a torso found in July 2009 along Woodward Mill Road near Satellite Boulevard in Buford. The locations are about five miles apart, on either side of the Mall of Georgia."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/gwinnett-bones-linked-body-found-2009/nGK9W/

[
    url="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159315"]GA GA - Buford - Blk Or Hisp Male Skeletal Remains Found in Woods - Jan'12 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/url]

Last edited by KateB; 04-06-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

They are entered as two separate, at least with all of the partial remains I have dealt with. If they are matched by DNA later, then they are notated some how.

Quick story-

I was looking at a set of partial remains located on a river bank in GA located by a man walking his dog. IIRC, it was a leg and a few other leg bones. One year to the day later, the same man walking the same dog found a skull and a few more bones in the same location.

My response at the time was that I hoped they were looking closely at the dog walker...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou