1145 users online (235 members and 910 guests)  

Websleuths News

AR - Woman, 73, strapped to bomb, forced to withdraw cash, Fayetteville, 9 Jan 2012

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/st...E3EI1ROkQ.cspx

Fayetteville, Ark. - Fayetteville Police and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office are continuing two separate investigations into Monday morning’s bizarre kidnapping and robbery plot during which a 73-year-old woman says the suspect strapped a bomb to her leg.

Sgt. Craig Stout says investigators have determined whether the device attached to Betty Davis’ leg moments before she was allegedly forced into a bank was an explosive. However, they’re not releasing those details just yet.

Davis told police an armed man told her she had to go to the bank to get money in order to free her husband, Dean, who was taken hostage in their home. Deputies found him tied up.

More at link....

"Bizarre" is indeed the correct word.

Device strapped to woman at bank wasn't bomb - officials
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark, Jan 11 (Reuters) - The device
    strapped to a 73-year-old grandmother who was forced to enter a
    bank earlier this week was not a bomb, authorities said on
    Wednesday.
    ---
    "It was designed to look like one, but it wasn't one when it
    was investigated," Fayetteville Police Sgt. Craig Stout told
    Reuters on Wednesday.
    ---
    "Mrs. Davis was extremely cooperative," Stout said. "Her
    main concern at the scene was the safety of her husband. She did
    remarkably well at being calm and cool. You won't find an
    officer who doesn't admire this woman."
    a bit more at Reuters link above

Thanks, wfgodot...from your link:

The man made Davis drive her car to the bank and he followed
    in the Davis' truck, Stout said.

The man left the bank before authorities arrived. The
    couple's truck was later found abandoned.

Fayetteville police were working with the Washington County
    Sheriff's office to find the man.

The suspect must have had another vehicle ready to use, or an accomplice to pick him up...hope he is caught soon.

Very scary. At least it wasn't a real bomb like in the other bank robbery where the pizza delivery guy actually blew up by a collar bomb.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Very scary. At least it wasn't a real bomb like in the other bank robbery where the pizza delivery guy actually blew up by a collar bomb.
    That case is what this one reminded me of, jjenny...I was so hoping this one wasn't real and it turned out that way but the lady didn't know when she went to the bank...she was very brave...I don't think I would have been able to walk but she was concerned for her husband so I guess that helped her to do what she had to.

Police arrest suspect in Arkansas bank bomb scare

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...KNWU00L2_UNEWS

..........The man, whose name was not immediately released, was in custody after being brought in for questioning on an unrelated case, Fayetteville Police Chief Greg Tabor said. Tabor said he didn't know whether the man knew the couple, Betty and Herbert Davis.
    -----

Authorities were expected to release more information at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Tabor didn't have a list of the charges that the suspect will face, but said the man could face kidnapping, burglary and attempted extortion charges.

At this point, Tabor said authorities don't believe anyone else was involved in the incident.

So....I'm guessing copycat crime (see jjenny's post above) after the suspect caught a late-night re-run of a TV show about the pizza caper of yore and thought it sounded like his personal ticket to putting some money in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    So....I'm guessing copycat crime (see jjenny's post above) after the suspect caught a late-night re-run of a TV show about the pizza caper of yore and thought it sounded like his personal ticket to putting some money in his pocket.
    Not a very good plan, was it? A woman in her seventies is not going to scare anybody when she gets to the bank, even if there is a fake bomb strapped to her.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Not a very good plan, was it? A woman in her seventies is not going to scare anybody when she gets to the bank, even if there is a fake bomb strapped to her.
    Well, having lived in Fayetteville for a couple years and also having spent many a summer there with my grandma, I'd say that, for a local, this guy gets relatively high marks for imagination alone, lol - though it's true his plan had Destined to Fail writ large all over it. (And full marks to the victim, who kept her cool in the face of a wacky-and-very-possibly-deadly attacker. Enjoy your stay in prison, bub! I don't think the other cons are going to take too well to your chosen method of approach for robbing a bank.)

Grandmother Bomb Plot: Suspect Knew Victims

"Investigators have learned that the Arkansas man being held on suspicion of strapping what he called a bomb to a 73-year-old grandmother and forcing take money from her account is a longtime acquaintance of the woman's husband."

"Paul Bradley was arrested on Wednesday in connection with the incident, according to Fayetteville Police Chief Greg Tabor. Police say Bradley, 60, is a longtime casual acquaintance of Dean Davis; the two met at a local restaurant, Rick's Iron Skillet."

"According to investigators, Bradley waited for Dean Davis to leave his home for his morning coffee -- part of the man's daily routine -- before approaching the couple's home."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/arkansas-gr...ry?id=15352074

they should charge him with terroristic threats too

"The family claim that the ordeal began when Mrs Davis opened her door after the doorbell rang and was confronted by a masked man came in and grabbed her."

‘He had a gun and he was pointing it in their faces,’ said granddaughter Carly Geanolous, who told Little Rock’s 5News that Mrs Davis was ordered to write and cash a check to pay off the suspect.'

"Mrs Davis later told police that a man had used duct tape to tie up her husband, Herbert, after he returned home from a local coffee shop. Police found him unharmed at their rural home.
    ‘He did tie a bomb to her leg,’ she said.
    ‘And he showed her a detonator and said: "All I’ve got to do is push this button if you don’t do it right."'
    Investigators later found the couple’s pickup truck abandoned a few miles away.
    The man made Betty Davis drive her car to the bank as he followed in her husband's truck, police said. The couple's truck was later found abandoned.

Sheriff officials said Herbert Davis knew Bradley only casually from his visits to a coffee shop. They said Bradley was traced by a vehicle that he abandoned and by hardware store purchases.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1jnQvi1VT

From September 2013:

http://5newsonline.com/2013/09/06/el...bomb-incident/

The Elkins man accused of strapping a fake bomb to a woman’s ankle before she entered a Fayetteville bank pleaded guilty Friday (Sept. 6) to eight felony charges in the incident, records show.

Paul Lewis Bradley, 61, was sentenced to 50 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction, according to the sentencing order.