691 users online (91 members and 600 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    204

    Motive

    I have read through the threads and have seen motives mentioned, but have lost track of which motive belongs to whom. I thought it would be helpful to discuss motive separately just to keep it organized in its own thread.

    I have seen greed, jealously, vengeance, rape, thrill and maybe a couple of others that I am forgetting. What I am most curious about is which motive belongs to whom.

    It seems obvious that someone like RC would have done it just for the thrill aspect since he is a serial killer, but what about the others?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    96
    Greed is taken out. The large amount of money (500-600 I believe) left in the purses proves that and most here agree.

    Bartt Streeter - revenge and jealousy

    Ricky Dykes, Francis Robb, Ricky Evans, et. al. - Sex, power, revenge

    JK/MH crew - jealousy

    Cox - sex, power

    Carnahan - sex, power

    Garrison - sex, power

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by HmmWhoKnows View Post
    Greed is taken out. The large amount of money (500-600 I believe) left in the purses proves that and most here agree.

    Bartt Streeter - revenge and jealousy

    Ricky Dykes, Francis Robb, Ricky Evans, et. al. - Sex, power, revenge

    JK/MH crew - jealousy

    Cox - sex, power

    Carnahan - sex, power

    Garrison - sex, power
    Yes, greed is certainly taken out I was reading about the possible motorcycle gang connection. My thoughts are that even if someone like that wanted sex and power, weren't a lot of these guys criminals that would also included being thieves and burglars? Not RC or GC, but some of the other guys that you mentioned. I mean, wouldn't money/jewelry at least be an afterthought?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMama View Post
    Yes, greed is certainly taken out I was reading about the possible motorcycle gang connection. My thoughts are that even if someone like that wanted sex and power, weren't a lot of these guys criminals that would also included being thieves and burglars? Not RC or GC, but some of the other guys that you mentioned. I mean, wouldn't money/jewelry at least be an afterthought?

    Motorcycle gangs will generally have their prospects carry out the "dirty work". If prospects were told to go and get the girls, the prospects would leave the cash alone unless they were given permission to steal.
    Tammie in Miami

    Vini, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh (of course)
    Posts
    2,490
    I agree that money does not appear to be a viable motive.

    The fact that three women were abducted and murdered suggests that the motive was rape and murder.

    The revenge angle doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since getting caught for triple murder would surely carry more penalty than grave-robbing at the level these guys were working. I also don't think any of them acted alone; they got caught for the grave-robbing, so if they were involved, I would think there was someone else who provided some experience and expertise/ (as I write this, I recall how botched up the crime scene was by all of the people at the house. Maybe they did leave evidence but LE never got to see it. And then the van was seen, so maybe I don't feel so positive about that assertion....).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    I agree that money does not appear to be a viable motive.

    The fact that three women were abducted and murdered suggests that the motive was rape and murder.

    The revenge angle doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since getting caught for triple murder would surely carry more penalty than grave-robbing at the level these guys were working. I also don't think any of them acted alone; they got caught for the grave-robbing, so if they were involved, I would think there was someone else who provided some experience and expertise/ (as I write this, I recall how botched up the crime scene was by all of the people at the house. Maybe they did leave evidence but LE never got to see it. And then the van was seen, so maybe I don't feel so positive about that assertion....).
    On most days, I really feel that the motive was rape and murder. However, recently, human trafficking has crossed my mind as a possible motive. I am sure this has been talked about here and I think I remember people saying this is what could have happened when I still lived in Springfield. Back then I thought the idea was absurd, but now (being a little wiser) I can see how this could be a possibility. Of course, to consider this as a motive and/or possible scenario, I move from keeping things simple to a more complex explanation which doesn't seem probable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    204
    Also, regarding the crime scene being botched. I understand that people moved things and touched things, but that doesn't mean that those same people that had been in the house couldn't have submitted to DNA samples to rule their DNA out. This happened in the Caylee Anthony case when they figured out an unknown hair on an item actually belonged to someone in the FBI lab and another hair found didn't match anyone in LE or any of the family members of Caylee. I realize that 18 people had been in the house (lots of people had access to Caylee's remains), but all they had to do was take their DNA and compare it to the DNA found in the house. If there was an unknown, they could have saved that unknown DNA and today they might be able to find a match to that DNA. I hope that they did this, but something tells me that they didn't.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    208
    the grave robbers
    looking at it from motive perspective 100% them.
    looking at it from goulish creepy comfortabilitywith death 100% them.

    was the trial not abandoned a week later without suzies testimony???
    hmmmm
    who benefited from that.

    and I'm quite sure a person comfortable with delving around stealing body parts off corpes is quite cool under pressure and pass a lie detector exam.....

    the moronic police department need to hand in their badges.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    27
    The problem is that so many people can actually fit the profile of the person/persons who could have done this. I think that it would take a very suave/charismatic/intimidating person to have been able to abduct 3 women. Even if there were more than one perp involved, it still seems to be a rather difficult thing to do. So many things could go wrong.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    215
    Perhaps a person was there when the two girls came in. They went ahead and got ready for bed before the unsub made his presence known by confronting them with Sherrill as a hostage and gun in hand. He didn't know they were coming home but he adapted and took control of all three. That nothing was taken except for the women, the house had not been tossed and even opportunistic sex offenders do not draw the line at stealing or robbery, implies that this was deeply personal to me. If you've ever had a gun pointed at you, and I have, you'd be surprised at how quickly your mind goes into "safe" mode i.e. I will do what is necessary NOT to get shot. That includes complying with any and every demand. A gun threatening a loved one would give the same response and make at least two of the women cooperate with the demands.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Seville
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmammy View Post
    Perhaps a person was there when the two girls came in. They went ahead and got ready for bed before the unsub made his presence known by confronting them with Sherrill as a hostage and gun in hand. He didn't know they were coming home but he adapted and took control of all three. That nothing was taken except for the women, the house had not been tossed and even opportunistic sex offenders do not draw the line at stealing or robbery, implies that this was deeply personal to me. If you've ever had a gun pointed at you, and I have, you'd be surprised at how quickly your mind goes into "safe" mode i.e. I will do what is necessary NOT to get shot. That includes complying with any and every demand. A gun threatening a loved one would give the same response and make at least two of the women cooperate with the demands.
    Wise words and reflections. However, and though I do not know about the veracity of these statements, there is different information in other forums stating that in fact the house was not neat at all, and many items appeared scattered on the floor, evidence that the police -whoever knows why- never wanted to release.
    Besides, a shaken and disturbed dog, as was Suzie's and Sherril's yorki, only gets this way after witnessing an abnormal situation, for animals are incredibly stuck to routine and owners. Perhaps, this agitation in the dog could as well provide a hint as regards the approximate moment the kidnapping took place, since dogs' memory is said to be short-termed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    27
    Catmammy,

    I agree with some of what you said. Now, my own mother, would have fought tooth and nail to get in control, even if there was a gun pointed at me. She would have gathered what vile things would happen once the perp got us wherever he wanted to take us. I think it would be possible the perp was already there but that to me means that Sherrill was the target, and I am not so sure that she was. The girls plans changed so abruptly which means either Sherrill was the target, or some stalker followed them home. This case is so frustrating and mind boggling.



Similar Threads

  1. Why? What was the motive?
    By VespaElf in forum Darlie Routier
    Replies: 683
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 08:16 PM