CA - Ryan Carter, 12, stabbed to death by 10yo friend, El Cajon, 16 Jan 2012

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
This is big news here. Apparently this child had anger management problems and was being treated for it by a doctor and on medication.

Such a sad case.

:(
fran

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/17/boys-fatal-stabbing-hardest-thing-to-fathom/

Boy’s fatal stabbing ‘hardest thing to fathom’

EL CAJON — Grief counselors were on hand Tuesday morning at the East County schools attended by two boys who became engaged in a fatal confrontation the day before that left a 12-year-old stabbed to death and a 10-year-old the suspect in the killing.
more at link ................... http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/17/boys-fatal-stabbing-hardest-thing-to-fathom/

http://www.10news.com/news/30225278/detail.html

Boy Stabbed To Death By Another Boy At Lakeside Home

Neighbors told 10News a 10-year-old boy stabbed his 12-year-old friend in the chest with a kitchen knife at the 10-year-old boy's home. Neighbors said the two boys, who were friends, and an unknown number of other boys were playing in the driveway of the home when the incident occurred.

.........................snip ............................

Neighbor Wayne King walked out of his house minutes after the stabbing, and he told 10News, "I walked up the street a little bit and they were loading a young person into an ambulance, doing chest compressions."
King said he then heard uncontrollable screams coming from the 10-year-old boy's home.

"He didn't mean to do it," King recounted hearing the scream say. "I mean, I heard that clearly. Then I heard them try to console him and took him back in the house."
more at link ........................... http://www.10news.com/news/30225278/detail.html

Oh my how devastating for all concerned. So sad.

Wow....I don't understand how a 10 year old would even know how to murder someone...I mean when I was 10 I was still playing with Barbies and had no idea what a murder was let alone how to do it.

I get that this boy had angers issues and was being treated etc but IMO he should still be punished the same as everyone else would be if they didn't have any "issues" he still killed someone intentionally or not he should still be punished accordingly.if we all went around just killing people and getting away with a light sentence what would become of the human race.

I do feel for both boys parents I wouldn't be able to comprehend or cope with knowing one of my children had killed someone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

You know, I've seen on shows like Dateline (or one of those) about situations like this where adopted kids have severe emotional and anger issues because of past abuse by their biological parents. Some kids were so violent that the adoptive parents had to put locks on their bedroom doors at night and alarms if the child opens his door in the middle of the night. This is exactly what I feared in situations like those. How horribly sad for all involved. I can't even imagine being the adoptive parents and what they must be going through.

OMG how horrible!

10 yrs old and he has to live with what his lack of control has done.

When I was a kid, I remember fightng with cousins and my sister so bad,we did chase each other with kniives and other weapons but I dont believe any of us would have tryed for the chest. One my cousin shot my sister in the finger with bb gun, but we always aimed for the limbs. guess we were lucky as even though we wouldnt have meant to kill eachother ,we were trying to inflict a certain amout of pain so had one of us been killed in these fights I cannot image how the one who was at fault would have felt ,we did love eachother. We just had no adults ever watching us. Also none of us ever ended up in jail or violent in the grown up world. But as kids...man o man. We made throwing stars out of sheet metal and threw them at eachother.

OMG how horrible!

10 yrs old and he has to live with what his lack of control has done.

When I was a kid, I remember fightng with cousins and my sister so bad,we did chase each other with kniives and other weapons but I dont believe any of us would have tryed for the chest. One my cousin shot my sister in the finger with bb gun, but we always aimed for the limbs. guess we were lucky as even though we wouldnt have meant to kill eachother ,we were trying to inflict a certain amout of pain so had one of us been killed in these fights I cannot image how the one who was at fault would have felt ,we did love eachother. We just had no adults ever watching us. Also none of us ever ended up in jail or violent in the grown up world. But as kids...man o man. We made throwing stars out of sheet metal and threw them at eachother.

My sister chased after me with a frozen loaf of bread once. I'm thinking that wouldn't have done much damage. :)

This is such a pitifully sad story. It seems like both boys came from loving, stable homes with wonderful parents. The victims parents have been so gracious and kind with their responses.

I think this shows some psychological disorders cannot be controlled 100% by medication and therapy. I mean his mom is a special needs teacher as well - and from everything I read, a wonderful parent. I don't know if this could have been prevented or foreseen.

A 10-year-old East County boy accused of stabbing a 12-year-old boy to death is facing murder and felony assault charges, according to the district attorney’s office.

A hearing is scheduled in juvenile court on Thursday at 8 a.m.

Candles, flowers and a teddy bear sat outside the home of the 12-year-old Lakeside victim who was fatally stabbed Monday while visiting a friend.

While family and friends grapple with the loss of Ryan Carter, prosecutors moved ahead with their case.

“The district attorney’s office has charged a juvenile with murder and felony assault in connection with the crime,” prosecutors announced Wednesday afternoon.

Ryan's father, Glen, said the 10-year-old detained after the stabbing was his son’s best friend. He told us it was his understanding that Ryan was breaking up a fight when the stabbing occurred.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Lakeside-Stabbing-Victim-137598308.html

Ryans parents are the strongest, nicest parents I have seen in a long, long time.
Prayers to both these families - they are both going to struggle.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boy-killed-20120120,0,955323.story

So very sad. The 10yr old Had severe problems, emotional, anger management.. Also had just recently changed/ceased meds.. 12yo Ryan Carter was his best friend and not the intended victim. Witnesses say that there was a third boy with whom the 10yr old began fighting with and went inside his home and returned with a butcher knife.. His best friend Ryan Carter attempted to intervene not allowing his best friend to harm the other boy.. 12yr old Ryan received one stab wound to the heart and died..

10yr old was arraigned in juvenile court today pleading "not true"..

What a tragic story and to make it just that much more tragic is the fact that 12yo Ryan was an only and miracle child that the mother had tried for more than 10yrs until finally blessed with having Ryan.. Now he's gone..:(

**my apologies as I'm not certain how this ended up in Missing Forum.. Mods plz feel free to move or merge as you see fitting** thanks:)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boy-killed-20120120,0,955323.story

So very sad. The 10yr old Had severe problems, emotional, anger management.. Also had just recently changed/ceased meds.. 12yo Ryan Carter was his best friend and not the intended victim. Witnesses say that there was a third boy with whom the 10yr old began fighting with and went inside his home and returned with a butcher knife.. His best friend Ryan Carter attempted to intervene not allowing his best friend to harm the other boy.. 12yr old Ryan received one stab wound to the heart and died..

10yr old was arraigned in juvenile court today pleading "not true"..

What a tragic story and to make it just that much more tragic is the fact that 12yo Ryan was an only and miracle child that the mother had tried for more than 10yrs until finally blessed with having Ryan.. Now he's gone..:(

**my apologies as I'm not certain how this ended up in Missing Forum.. Mods plz feel free to move or merge as you see fitting** thanks:)

I am surprised there is no interest in this story. It is so tragic.

Ryans parents are the strongest, nicest parents I have seen in a long, long time.
Prayers to both these families - they are both going to struggle.

You say this as if you know them personally. I hoped to find more information about this here on Websleuths but it doesn't seem to generate comments.

I was watching the JVR from yesterday and they had a segment on this.

This is so disturbing.

Maybe there is so little in the way of posts because this is one of those cases where there is no such thing as justice. How do you say, "I hope justice is served," when there is none?

Oct 2013:

Eager to control his anger, Julie said that about a month before the fatal attack, he was prescribed an antidepressant called Anaphranil, and his personality changed.

'He got much more aggressive. … He punched me in the face twice,' Julie said. 'He’d never done that before. He bit my arms and left big marks. So that’s when I started emailing the doctor, going, ‘This isn’t right. This is very wrong.’ ...

It was only after the stabbing that an attorney put Julie and her son in touch with Dr. Kenneth Lyon Jones, the man who originally identified fetal alcohol syndrome with Dr. David W. Smith in 1973.

In Juvenile Hall, he diagnosed the boy with the condition which affects only one percent of the U.S. population.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Ryan-Carter-12-death-reveals-struggle.html

April 2013:

12-year-old boy accused of fatally stabbing a playmate in East County last year was ordered Thursday to be released from Juvenile Hall and sent to a residential treatment facility until his mental competency is restored.

Juvenile Court Judge Cynthia Bashant determined in August that the boy was not competent to stand trial and suspended the criminal proceedings. The judge had reviewed psychiatric evaluations that said the boy was not only immature but also suffered from mental health and developmental issues brought on by fetal alcohol syndrome.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2013/apr/18/boy-fatal-stabbing-treatment-ryan-carter/

Oct 2013:

She said she hopes that someday her son, now 12, will be able to leave the facility, where he’s been since June. But she’s also realistic.

It is possible that her boy may never be deemed competent for trial, which would mean that he understood the court proceedings and could assist in his own defense. The Juvenile Court system would lose jurisdiction over him at age 21.

“He doesn’t understand why he can’t come home, but he has difficulty controlling his anger and he does need to be there,” Julie said. “If you took this all away, he would still need to be there.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2013/oct/19/stabbing-julie-fetal-alcohol-carter/

November 2014:

The question over which government agency should pay for the now 13-year-old boy who stabbed and killed 12-year-old El Cajon resident Ryan Carter in 2010 remains unanswered....

On October 6, the County Office of Education, the agency in charge of overseeing curriculum and legal matters for county school districts, sued the county and the developmental services department for passing the buck on who should pay the costs of the boy's residential treatment facility.

According to the lawsuit, because the boy has been transferred from the juvenile detention facility, he is the county's responsibility. The office of education is asking the county for reimbursement of costs and to develop a policy to prevent this game of financial hot potato from being played again...

This isn't the first attempt by the office of education to get the county to pay for the 13-year-old's residential and non-educational needs. Last year, the agency filed suit against the boy's mother in U.S. federal court. That court dismissed the case, providing an opening for a new lawsuit in San Diego Superior Court.

http://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/2014/nov/04/ticker-boy-and-bureaucracy/?templates=mobile

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back