New autism definition may exclude many, study suggests

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46060802/ns/health-childrens_health/

Only 45 percent of the highest functioning autistic people in the study would meet proposed criteria for diagnosis

Proposed changes in the definition of autism would sharply reduce the skyrocketing rate at which the disorder is diagnosed and may make it harder for many people who would no longer meet the criteria to get health, educational and social services, a new analysis suggests.

The definition is under review by an expert panel appointed by the American Psychiatric Association, which is completing work on the fifth edition of its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The D.S.M, as the manual is known, is the standard reference for mental disorders, driving research, treatment and insurance decisions.

The study results, presented on Thursday at a meeting of the Icelandic Medical Association, are still preliminary, but they offer the latest and most dramatic estimate of how tightening the criteria for autism could affect the rate of diagnosis. Rates of autism and related disorders like Asperger syndrome have taken off since the early 1980s, to prevalence rates as high as one in 100 children in some places. Many researchers suspect that these numbers are inflated because of vagueness in the current criteria.
-----

Experts working on the new definition strongly questioned the new estimate. “I don’t know how they’re getting those numbers,” said Catherine Lord, a member of the task force working on the diagnosis. ........

Disagreement about the effect of the new definition will almost certainly increase scrutiny of the finer points of the psychiatric association’s changes to the manual The revisions are about 90 percent complete and will be final by December, according to Dr. David J. Kupfer, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh and chairman of the task force making the revisions.
------

Mark Roithmayr, president of Autism Speaks, an advocacy organization, said that the proposed diagnosis should bring needed clarity but that the effect on services was not yet clear. “We need to carefully monitor the impact of these diagnostic changes on access to services and ensure that no one is being denied the services they need,” Mr. Roithmayr said by e-mail. “Some treatments and services are driven solely by a person’s diagnosis, while other services may depend on other criteria such as age, I.Q. level or medical history.”

More at link....

"Why the definition of autism matters"

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/24/why-the-definition-of-autism-matters/

I await the outcome of any proposed diagnostic criteria change or autism re-definition with trepidation.... I'm sure insurance companies are just licking their lips with feverish anticipation. To all who have children/loved ones who may be detrimentally impacted by a narrowing of criteria, I feel for you....

"Why the definition of autism matters"

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/24/why-the-definition-of-autism-matters/

I await the outcome of any proposed diagnostic criteria change or autism re-definition with trepidation.... I'm sure insurance companies are just licking their lips with feverish anticipation. To all who have children/loved ones who may be detrimentally impacted by a narrowing of criteria, I feel for you....

I certainly could have not put it better animlzrule , I have a son with Autism, and I am dreading what is to come next.

I, IMHO only think it is all about cya mode somewhere for someone because people want answer's as to why now 1 in every 70, yes you read that correct, 1 in 70 kids have autism or some form of it. I do not believe that all these diagnose's are incorrect, perhaps some but not enough to change that number significantly.... and of course I am sure the insurance companys are greasing somebody's hand as well so they will no longer have to pay for the help that these family's so badly need !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back