Norway-Indian couple loses kids for sleeping in same bed, feeding with hands

From the article:

'The parents have been told that they can only see their children twice a year, for an hour during each visit until the kids turn 18 when they will no longer be bound by the current restrictions under current Norwegian law."

What? they need to get a lawyer and fight this....

Unless there is more to this story, then those parents should have their children returned. Today. The article states that the parents can only see their children twice a year! That is beyond ridiculous!

I'll probably be flamed for this, but I sort of agree.

Yes, it may be cultural differences, but when you leave your country and your culture, you are expected to live by the cultural mores and laws of the chosen country and culture. They chose to go to Norway, therefore, they are bound by the laws and mores of Norway. CO-sleeping is dangerous, and if they were warned, then they had the opportunity to rectify the situation. Feeding a child with your hands, especially if it is viewed as force feeding, is another thing that may be accepted there but not accepted in the country that they chose to go to.

The only part of it that seems wrong to me is that they should be allowed to take their kids and return to their home country, since nothing that was done is against the mores or laws of their home country.

I hate to see kids end up in foster care, but if they start turning a blind eye to one questionable cultural difference, then eventually all countries will be turning ablind eye, and we will be allowing forced labor and child marriage. I know it's not a popular opinion, but it's mine and I stand by it.

Not flaming...you're entitled to your opinion....but I have to disagree that the purpose of children's services is to enforce cultural differences. These children were not being abused by the parents and should not be in foster care...certainly the parents should be able to see them more than twice a year!

I hope they fight this....we have so many different cultures here in the U.S. that these types of differences could apply to...very dangerous line to cross to me...

ETA: "allowing forced labor and child marriage"....doesn't apply to me...those things are still against the law so would be enforced.

I met a man from India and got to know him while he was in this country. While he was learning our customs, I got to oberve his and his friends. They do eat with their hands, more than most countries. So that part, they are going against the cultural norms of their nationality.

The only real problem I see is sleeping in the same bed, and that only if they have a law against it.

I would love to see an explanation from their protective services.

In a comment to the article linked to, a person stated that the Norwegian media is reporting more to the story: That the parents dressed the children inadequately, slapped them, fed them only yogurt and rice and emotionally neglected them.

I don't know if that's true but there is usually more to the story. What must other countries think of us when they hear that three children were taken from their parents here, because of their names? But that was not the case at all.

There is now a response to that comment that says:

"That's funny, because this story has been floating around the Norwegian media for weeks and yet this is the first suggesting of "slapping". How interesting that this additional 'information' should be trotted out now. Sounds more like a response to negative international press to me."

I checked a Norwegian newspaper and it basically has the same story as the DM, nothing about slapping, other abuse:

http://www.norwaynews.com/en/~view.php?72U6a54qLb4832y285Qlh844SI3886Vn76CHo353R8Q8

Taking away the children is bad enough but not allowing at least monthly visits AND having the children separated from each other...all is ridiculous.

I read the papers every day and I haven't seen this story until today.

What I think has happened is that the transition to Norway has been especially difficult for the woman and she is struggling mentally. They arrived in 2009 after husband got a top paying job in Norway's oil capital, Stavanger.

I'm sure that we don't know all the facts, even the couples lawyer said today that all the facts are not out there due to officials "wov of silence".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back