Former Member
Reaction score
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

FBI in on investigation of toddler's disappearance
Police in Waterville say 20-month-old Ayla Reynolds was last seen at 8 o'clock Friday night. Justin DiPietro, the girl's father, reported her missing just before 9 a.m. Saturday, according to Waterville Police Chief Joe Massey.
According to Massey, the child was asleep in her own room, and everyone else in the house went to sleep. Massey said DiPietro was not home alone, but declined to say who else was in the home with him.
Police say the girl's mother, Trista Reynolds, lives in Portland.
The investigation involves local police, state police, wardens and the FBI. The Waterville Fire Department is managing search parties that include firefighters and members of the community.
Ayla was last seen wearing green one-piece pajamas with white polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" written on them.
She's 2' 9" tall and weighs about 30 pounds. She has short, blonde hair and her left arm is in a sling with a soft splint. Police say that injury was suffered three weeks ago when she reportedly fell down accidentally

386388_328645503831903_294805357215918_1302958_1795449284_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.295719007124553.87222.294805357215918&type=1

Please continue here...

Blog information: http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/new-website-offers-fresh-details-on-ayla_2012-01-20.html

Does someone have the link to the updated and retracted information on the blog? TIA

I've missed quite a bit of the sleuthing that happened since the blog and retraction. What are the main ideas?

http://news.yahoo.com/ayla-reynolds-story-startles-public-004700188.html

This is the big revision:

Key Detail Change

Harry changed the story Saturday, noting her awareness of the criticism, and saying her original account was in error. She has retracted her statement that Elisha DiPietro rushed downstairs when Ayla was not in her room. Not only was there no rushing, she now says, it wasn't Elisha who made the discovery. Roberts is the one who checked Ayla's room and saw that she wasn't there, Harry now says.

Harry has now taken the whole account down due to the response of the foaming at the mouth public.

ETA: No further word on the crashed down gate.

OK, if she relied on ignorant, cynical, negative internet posters to catch her mistakes it sounds like taking down the blog was the right thing to do. There could be several other things that were not strictly true either.

Didn't Justin proofread it? I thought it had his stamp of approval. You'd think he'd know the difference between his sister and his girlfriend.

OK, if she relied on ignorant, cynical, negative internet posters to catch her mistakes it sounds like taking down the blog was the right thing to do. There could be several other things that were not strictly true either.

Didn't Justin proofread it? I thought it had his stamp of approval. You'd think he'd know the difference between his sister and his girlfriend.

I recall a very early article that said something like when Justin was made aware, or was told, that Ayla was missing, etc....which made me think right away that he was not the one who noticed. And then it kind of morphed for a while as though maybe he was. And now we have this confusion between sister and girlfriend...I wonder if LE even knows the truth. If they have to count on these varying stories, maybe not. I am hoping these various blogs lead LE to some info or contradiction that helps them in their case.

From that blog:

I can't figure out how to quote the whole post, but regarding Hoppy's above post:

This only gets more confusing. So the gf discovers Ayla missing from her bed. I am assuming she was downstairs with JD prior to coming upstairs to make the discovery. Wouldn't she have known that Ayla wasn't downstairs with JD since that's where the gf was sleeping? But now, there is "no rush"?
All MOO.

The Peter Hyatt interview with TR has been cancelled by PH. His reason: TR said she would not be able to answer questions about JD, CR, the family, Ayla's bruising or the broken arm. PH says if TR has been advised by LE not to address these issues, he does not want to ask open ended questions that might lead into these areas.

But I don't get it. Here is a mother who is trying to get away from alcohol and dry out for the sake of her children. She had just gone to file for legal rights and responsibilities when Ayla suddenly goes missing. Why go to the trouble of filing if she had anything to do with it?

In fact, I think it works in her favor that she was busy doing that instead of plotting to steal away her child. I think that is why LE have said she isn't a suspect. She was going the legal route, which is the right thing to do. Why would she then risk messing everything up by kidnapping her child? What was her end game going to be? Just to get the Dad in trouble? Then what? Produce the child magically and live happily ever after? How? I just can't see a realistic motive for the Mom to kidnap Ayla.

MOO-I'll try to explain my thoughts on this and why I think it's possible that TR could have had something to do with this. Please note that I am not saying that she DID. In fact, I think someone in the house that night is a far better suspect. I just wanted to give you a bit of my thought process as to why I'm not willing to completely rule TR out.

I agree with you that it wouldn't be rational for TR to go through rehab, try to get herself together, file for parental rights and then steal her child. But you and I aren't substance abusers. TR was. When you are dealing with substance abuse, rational thought doesn't apply. The prison system is full of people who made dumb, criminal, irrational choices while under the influence. These choices rarely make sense to those of us on the outside.

I know that Trista claims to be sober. I sincerely hope that she is. But I know that the recidivism rate is high. I also know that addicts can be awfully crafty, convincing, and manipulative. I know that they are masters at lying and deflection. I am NOT saying that this definitely applies to TR, but I'm saying that it IS possible. I've seen some signs that indicate to me, at least, that she COULD still be using. Because of that, I'll always be looking at her, and anyone else involved with substance abuse, with a suspicious eye.

:twocents:

From that blog:

I watched that website off and on all day yesterday, and late into the night last night. I wish someone had been sitting at that website, hitting Reload and taking screen shots of all the changes. It changed numerous times. I went to bed about 4 am and it has changed since I got up.

That is what happens though when you are trying to invent a story that didn't happen instead of telling the truth. We are not even attorneys and spotted it right off. Just think what position she would have been in, if she was questioned by an attorney on a witness stand.

Lies just call for more lies.

I saw this same blog post that you posted at some time yesterday, and apparently it was edited after I saw it, because the paragraph explaining away the rushed part wasn't there then. I wonder how many edits were made that weren't caught?

At this point, I am not sure either parent should do actual interviews. They won't be believed, depending upon which "side" on is on. Any appearances IMO should be nothing more than showing photos of Ayla and speaking out directly to the "kidnapper." Sure, careless words in an interview might help LE...that would be my only reason wishing for them to speak out in live settings. But neither should waste time trying to plead their case to a critical public and I never understand why parents of missing children give a ***** about what people think anyway. JMO

MOO-I'll try to explain my thoughts on this and why I think it's possible that TR could have had something to do with this. Please note that I am not saying that she DID. In fact, I think someone in the house that night is a far better suspect. I just wanted to give you a bit of my thought process as to why I'm not willing to completely rule TR out.

I agree with you that it wouldn't be rational for TR to go through rehab, try to get herself together, file for parental rights and then steal her child. But you and I aren't substance abusers. TR was. When you are dealing with substance abuse, rational thought doesn't apply. The prison system is full of people who made dumb, criminal, irrational choices while under the influence. These choices rarely make sense to those of us on the outside.

I know that Trista claims to be sober. I sincerely hope that she is. But I know that the recidivism rate is high. I also know that addicts can be awfully crafty, convincing, and manipulative. I know that they are masters at lying and deflection. I am NOT saying that this definitely applies to TR, but I'm saying that it IS possible. I've seen some signs that indicate to me, at least, that she COULD still be using. Because of that, I'll always be looking at her, and anyone else involved with substance abuse, with a suspicious eye.

:twocents:
Both sides of Ayla's family are ringing my hinky meter lately. But I will add my two cents to your thoughts above, concerning Trista's situation.

People are speculating that because she filed for custody legally, that she would not have been involved in the kidnapping. I am wondering however, if her quest for custody that day might have been very depressing and shocking for her. I am wondering if she got feedback from those she was contacting that she was going to have a hard time because she had no permanent address and no job and a recent substance abuse problem. So she may have felt frustrated and hopeless. Then that evening she apparently called JD to confirm his visit to the doctor in her town. He told her NO, we are not coming. I think that was very upsetting to her as well. I still do not know his reasons for missing that appt. But I assume he had some kind of reasoning.

Anyway, my thoughts lean towards a rogue friend or family member of Trista's, one who has been listening to her stories of Ayla's abuse, and of her fears that she will never get custody of her again. Could someone have attempted to 'help' Trista by sneaking into that house that night?

The Peter Hyatt interview with TR has been cancelled by PH. His reason: TR said she would not be able to answer questions about JD, CR, the family, Ayla's bruising or the broken arm. PH says if TR has been advised by LE not to address these issues, he does not want to ask open ended questions that might lead into these areas.

I'll ask the same question people have asked about JD, couldn't she just go on to plea for the return of her daughter? She's spoken at length about the bruising and Ayla's other "injuries" so what would be the part that she can no longer speak about? She's also never been prohibited from speaking about JD before, perhaps there's new info that LE has and is trying to protect?

JD didn't want to talk, he invokes LE and hindering the invetstigation---yet LE said they are not stopping him from talking....is this the same sort of situation? All of this is JMO, and I promise I'm trying not to be cynical about all of the players in this case, but it's hard!

I watched that website off and on all day yesterday, and late into the night last night. I wish someone had been sitting at that website, hitting Reload and taking screen shots of all the changes. It changed numerous times. I went to bed about 4 am and it has changed since I got up.

That is what happens though when you are trying to invent a story that didn't happen instead of telling the truth. We are not even attorneys and spotted it right off. Just think what position she would have been in, if she was questioned by an attorney on a witness stand.

Lies just call for more lies.

I saw this same blog post that you posted at some time yesterday, and apparently it was edited after I saw it, because the paragraph explaining away the rushed part wasn't there then. I wonder how many edits were made that weren't caught?

BBM. Exactly. I, too, would like a look at all the revisions. I know nowadays savvy LE monitor social media and blogs. This has to be of interest to LE. Just when I was fearing this case might go the way of HaLeigh Cummings, Hailey Dunn, Lisa Irwin, Kyron Hormon, i.e, LE has a pretty good theory of the case, but not enough evidence for an indictment, this gives me a glimmer of hope that somebody is going to slip up and the truth will come out. All MOO

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

It concerns the Police going to get Ayla. I always thought that CPS had to be the one to go into the home and remove the child. If CPS expects there might be resistance they can ask for a Police Officer to go with them, but they must also go. I thought this was done for many reasons, one being that CPS would know how to make the child more comfortable and it be a less traumatic experience.

From the beginning the Police going in, and the way that was handled just did not feel right to me.

Anyone know the answer to this....could it vary from state to state.

I'll ask the same question people have asked about JD, couldn't she just go on to plea for the return of her daughter? She's spoken at length about the bruising and Ayla's other "injuries" so what would be the part that she can no longer speak about? She's also never been prohibited from speaking about JD before, perhaps there's new info that LE has and is trying to protect?

JD didn't want to talk, he invokes LE and hindering the invetstigation---yet LE said they are not stopping him from talking....is this the same sort of situation? All of this is JMO, and I promise I'm trying not to be cynical about all of the players in this case, but it's hard!

TR didn't give a reason for not being able to talk about these particular topics. PH believes she has been urged by LE not to discuss these issues, but he doesn't know for sure. That could be true. Or maybe TR doesn't want to further antagonize JD for fear that the truth will never come out. PH further states: Believing that she is deceased, I can't, in good conscience, have anything to do with raising money or giving "hope", tugging on listeners' emotions. If the only questions that can be asked have to do with such things as fund raising, it is outside the scope of what our program is about.

All MOO

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

It concerns the Police going to get Ayla. I always thought that CPS had to be the one to go into the home and remove the child. If CPS expects there might be resistance they can ask for a Police Officer to go with them, but they must also go. I thought this was done for many reasons, one being that CPS would know how to make the child more comfortable and it be a less traumatic experience.

From the beginning the Police going in, and the way that was handled just did not feel right to me.

Anyone know the answer to this....could it vary from state to state.

I think it varies from state to state, and probably even from county to county. Police here in my county make removals, and the children are transported to what is called "The Rainbow Room" at the CPS annex. From there, the child is either taken to a foster home or released to a relative. Caseworkers pretty much do the same thing. I have been told that caseworkers rarely face resistance from parents; they let the children go willingly. Parents will be vindictive though, by not allowing a caseworker to take a child's clothes or formula or favorite toy. Parents will often say things like "if you're taking my child, you provide for him/her." That of course makes it more traumatic for the child, and harder for the caseworker.

In this case, it doesn't seem like this was an actual "removal" but for the fact that there was a family team meeting at some point. Being removed from the home is a traumatic experience for a child, no matter who removes them. Even very young children have trouble, although most will eventually adjust to their new surroundings provided that they are taken to a good and understanding environment.

Even if TR wanted Ayla left with her mother and sister, I think it is absolutely true that a father has rights to HIS child that outweigh the rights of an aunt or grandmother. If no custody order is in place, I believe both parents are presumed to have equal custodial rights...

All of this is IMO, based on experiences and such---I am in no way implying that all states/counties operate like this...

Both sides of Ayla's family are ringing my hinky meter lately. But I will add my two cents to your thoughts above, concerning Trista's situation.

People are speculating that because she filed for custody legally, that she would not have been involved in the kidnapping. I am wondering however, if her quest for custody that day might have been very depressing and shocking for her. I am wondering if she got feedback from those she was contacting that she was going to have a hard time because she had no permanent address and no job and a recent substance abuse problem. So she may have felt frustrated and hopeless. Then that evening she apparently called JD to confirm his visit to the doctor in her town. He told her NO, we are not coming. I think that was very upsetting to her as well. I still do not know his reasons for missing that appt. But I assume he had some kind of reasoning.

Anyway, my thoughts lean towards a rogue friend or family member of Trista's, one who has been listening to her stories of Ayla's abuse, and of her fears that she will never get custody of her again. Could someone have attempted to 'help' Trista by sneaking into that house that night?

I do see the point you mentioned. Also from what I have read most parents that actually do flee with their children and disappear to a foreign country or do the idenity change....do so because they have tried to do the right thing in court. They feel they have been ignored by the court, or the court is biased etc. They run to protect their child. They really do not want to run, but do it as a last resort.

In some ways Trista does appear to fall in that group, in that she felt Ayla was taken from her because of connections. I personally feel though that she hadn't exhausted all other options yet.

I see what you are saying, and have thought of that as a possible. However, if that had been what happened, then I don't think Justin's family would have had to do all the story changing. JMO

I think it varies from state to state, and probably even from county to county. Police here in my county make removals, and the children are transported to what is called "The Rainbow Room" at the CPS annex. From there, the child is either taken to a foster home or released to a relative. Caseworkers pretty much do the same thing. I have been told that caseworkers rarely face resistance from parents; they let the children go willingly. Parents will be vindictive though, by not allowing a caseworker to take a child's clothes or formula or favorite toy. Parents will often say things like "if you're taking my child, you provide for him/her." That of course makes it more traumatic for the child, and harder for the caseworker.

In this case, it doesn't seem like this was an actual "removal" but for the fact that there was a family team meeting at some point. Being removed from the home is a traumatic experience for a child, no matter who removes them. Even very young children have trouble, although most will eventually adjust to their new surroundings provided that they are taken to a good and understanding environment.

Even if TR wanted Ayla left with her mother and sister, I think it is absolutely true that a father has rights to HIS child that outweigh the rights of an aunt or grandmother. If no custody order is in place, I believe both parents are presumed to have equal custodial rights...

All of this is IMO, based on experiences and such---I am in no way implying that all states/counties operate like this...

BBM

I agree with the bolded above. But my question is about the legal paternity
paperwork. AFAIK, there was never any legal verification of paternity. Correct?

This said the interview was cancelled by PH, it didn't say that Trista cancelled. Don't know if that is correct or not. If he was the one that cancelled then Trista didn't have an option.

JMO, Trista is a non-custodial mother who seems to want her child, has expressed worry that her child has been mistreated at her father's home, has some problems that may work against her in the legal route, perhaps doesn't have that much to lose in the way of property and career etc.

So she seems to fit the profile of a typical parental abductor to a T, I could easily see her taking Ayla and running.

But.... she is still here, she hasn't run. So what happened to Ayla? If her motive was to be with Ayla, how is this current situation working better for her?

She may have different friends than I do but I can't think of anybody who would agree to hide one of my kids indefinitely in the middle of a criminal investigation. I think that anybody who is close enough that they would agree to kidnap and hide Ayla within a day from Trista seeking custody and feeling depressed about expecting a bad result would have left some kind of electronic trail of their existence. They would have spoken on the phone or emailed Trista at some point and LE would know about them and investigate their whereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth