931 users online (179 members and 752 guests)  

Websleuths News

Exclamation Need information on a cold case...

Firstly I am not sure if this is the most appropriate spot for this post. I did not see anywhere else that seemed a better choice but feel free to move this if need be.

Secondly, I need help in finding the name of a child that was murdered and presumably is a cold case. These are the details that I have, which are rather vague but are all that I remember as I was a young child at the time it happened.

~ A female child between the ages of 6 - 10
    ~ Red hair, pale complexion, lots of freckles
    ~ Found in a wooded area near a ditch in Texas, city unknown
    ~ Found between 1991 - 1998 (Cannot remember the year it happened)
    ~ Throat was cut
    ~ At one point I believe I found her photo online and it was a traditional school photo with a blue background. She was smiling. This might have been the same photo used during news coverage of the story.
    ~ Her name might be Jessica, Jennifer or a different "J" name

This is NOT Amber Hagerman although the case sounds incredibly similar. I am sorry I do not have more specific information like a city or an exact year but hopefully this will be enough to ring a bell in someone's head. I have looked high and low to find information on her case and at one point I do believe that I found her on a webpage that had a black background, red and yellow text. I thought it might be CrimeShots but I cannot find her on there.

I do hope someone will be able to help.
    Thank you in advance.

Opal Jennings?
    -6 years old
    -Last name starts with a J
    -Kidnapped and murdered in Texas
    -One of the photos of her is a school photo with a blue background

However, the dates don't exactly fit because she was kidnapped in 1999, and her body was found in 2003. It's also not a cold case. And Opal didn't have red hair.

It probably isn't the case you're thinking of, but it was the first case that popped into my mind even though it doesn't meet all of the criteria. I'll look some more tomorrow.

Are you thinking of Jennifer Schuett?

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=64363

If so, good news - she didn't die in the attack. And better news - they finally caught the POS who attempted to murder her. And best of all - he offed himself in jail while awaiting trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissiepoo View Post
    Firstly I am not sure if this is the most appropriate spot for this post. I did not see anywhere else that seemed a better choice but feel free to move this if need be.

Secondly, I need help in finding the name of a child that was murdered and presumably is a cold case. These are the details that I have, which are rather vague but are all that I remember as I was a young child at the time it happened.

~ A female child between the ages of 6 - 10
    ~ Red hair, pale complexion, lots of freckles
    ~ Found in a wooded area near a ditch in Texas, city unknown
    ~ Found between 1991 - 1998 (Cannot remember the year it happened)
    ~ Throat was cut
    ~ At one point I believe I found her photo online and it was a traditional school photo with a blue background. She was smiling. This might have been the same photo used during news coverage of the story.
    ~ Her name might be Jessica, Jennifer or a different "J" name

This is NOT Amber Hagerman although the case sounds incredibly similar. I am sorry I do not have more specific information like a city or an exact year but hopefully this will be enough to ring a bell in someone's head. I have looked high and low to find information on her case and at one point I do believe that I found her on a webpage that had a black background, red and yellow text. I thought it might be CrimeShots but I cannot find her on there.

I do hope someone will be able to help.
    Thank you in advance.

I searched all the places I could find and while I found a couple red haired freckled children, the years were off and no J in name, as well as only one had anything to do with Texas. I will look more tomorrow.....
    Debora Sue Lowe - Age 13, missing from Pompano, FL since February 29, 1972 (Leap Year)
    Missing Child Haunts Family Nearly 40 Years Later - 9/19/2011
    White Female
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5’6″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    Debbie is believed to have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 60s and 70s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn ,Carmen Hallock, Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966.

• Everything I write is JMHO and NO OFFENSE is INTENDED

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Seek_Answers View Post
    I searched all the places I could find and while I found a couple red haired freckled children, the years were off and no J in name, as well as only one had anything to do with Texas. I will look more tomorrow.....
    This case does not ring any bells with me, but i do not know that many from that time period.

SSA, check your PMS.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Could it be Erica Shoup?

I poked around a little bit last night and couldn't come up with anything. Not Laura Smither, is it? I was hoping to come back here this morning and see that somebody had solved Chrissiepoo's mini-mystery! Will keep checking the recesses of my brain and back on this thread!

Nope to Opal Jennings, Erica Shoup or Laura Smither.
    Is there anyone else that comes to mind that isn't in Texas?
    All these years I've thought it was Texas and I'm pretty sure that it is but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissiepoo View Post
    Nope to Opal Jennings, Erica Shoup or Laura Smither.
    Is there anyone else that comes to mind that isn't in Texas?
    All these years I've thought it was Texas and I'm pretty sure that it is but I could be wrong.
    Was perhaps the attacker linked to Texas and not the child?
    Debora Sue Lowe - Age 13, missing from Pompano, FL since February 29, 1972 (Leap Year)
    Missing Child Haunts Family Nearly 40 Years Later - 9/19/2011
    White Female
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5’6″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    Debbie is believed to have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 60s and 70s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn ,Carmen Hallock, Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966.

• Everything I write is JMHO and NO OFFENSE is INTENDED

Are you sure you're not thinking of Jennifer Schuett? She seems to meet almost all of your criteria, outside of the red hair and the fact that she didn't die.

Jennifer Schuett was the only one I could think of as well-thank fully she survived this attack. She is something special and has been profiled on several shows, including I Survived.

Here is some additional media on her:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37232072/ns/today-today_people/t/child-raped-left-die-gets-justice-years-later/
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Definitely not Jennifer Schuett.
    I asked my mother if she remembered this little girl and she said that it was definitely in Texas.

The unidentified-persons.org website has an unsolved homicide directory. It would help if you know the area of Texes as there are 25-30 different links to go thru.

http://www.unidentified-persons.org/pg11.html#TX

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Jennifer Schuett was the only one I could think of as well-thank fully she survived this attack. She is something special and has been profiled on several shows, including I Survived.

Here is some additional media on her:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37232072/ns/today-today_people/t/child-raped-left-die-gets-justice-years-later/
    Yes-she was just on a couple of weeks ago..she was so brave and soo smart

Are you talking about Jessica Keen..she was 15 though,but she was the one who ran through the woods and ended up in the cemetery,hiding behind the tombstones from her killer, but this happened in 1991 and in Ohio!