683 users online (103 members and 580 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Vinesa Snegur, 6, Clackamas County, 22 Jan 2012

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...org%3E&ps=1011

ESTACADA, Ore (AP) — An Oregon man raced along the rain-swollen Clackamas River but couldn't keep up with his 6-year-old daughter who had fallen into the stream and was swept downriver, authorities said.

Rescue workers searched without success Monday for Vinesa Snegur, who fell into the river Sunday afternoon. The waterway is running fast and cold from a recent winter storm.

About 50 ground searchers and divers suspended their search at nightfall Monday. A helicopter with thermal imaging equipment also was used to scan the river.

The Clackamas County sheriff's office said the search would resume Tuesday.

"It was just a second of inattention," sheriff's Sgt. James Rhodes said of the little girl's fall, explaining that her father turned away, "then splash, and she fell in. He ran and tried to keep up with her, but he was unable to."

How horrible for those parents...hope she will be found soon.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    oh no
    I doubt he'll ever forgive himself )-;

Update.. Clothing items found, underwater. This is so very sad.

http://oregon.salem-news.com/2012/01...-missing-girl/

My mom is a very stoic person (she'd have to be to be married to my dad, and have me for a daughter....we gave all the drama and emotion she could deal with.) ...

With that said, she started sobbing telling me about this story, this morning. (She's in Salem)...it just has broken her heart.

Mine too, I feel so badly for that dad -the mom to0, but I don't know how the dad ever recovers from this.

I don't care how cold the water is...I would have jumped in after my child...you can at least swim while being swept downstream and maybe have a shot at getting to her.
    so so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
    I don't care how cold the water is...I would have jumped in after my child...you can at least swim while being swept downstream and maybe have a shot at getting to her.
    so so sad.
    Do we know if he knew how to swim? Many people don't.

I think this poor man will relive this nightmare for the rest of his life. My heart goes out to him.

Such a sad story

Quote Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
    so so sad.
    I was thinking the same thing. No matter how cold the water was, if my child was being swept down it, I would have been in that water too. God bless the little children....sometimes heaven needs a new angel, so they have to reach down and take one of ours. Bless her family.....
    Debora Sue Lowe - Age 13, missing from Pompano, FL since February 29, 1972 (Leap Year)
    Missing Child Haunts Family Nearly 40 Years Later - 9/19/2011
    White Female
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5’6″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    Debbie is believed to have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 60s and 70s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn ,Carmen Hallock, Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966.

• Everything I write is JMHO and NO OFFENSE is INTENDED

Right now, Oregon is in the middle of many storms and the rivers are high and the rivers are swift. If he would have jumped in, chances are they'd be looking for two bodies. And the rivers are freezing cold. I won't even jump in the Willamette in the middle of summer, let alone now when the snows in the mountains are running into it due to weather conditions.

How terribly sad. If you live in Oregon, please know that people drown in the rivers here year round. I have friends who work with SAR and they use the boats to recover people more often than we ever hear about.

The things nightmares are made of...

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Right now, Oregon is in the middle of many storms and the rivers are high and the rivers are swift. If he would have jumped in, chances are they'd be looking for two bodies. And the rivers are freezing cold. I won't even jump in the Willamette in the middle of summer, let alone now when the snows in the mountains are running into it due to weather conditions.

How terribly sad. If you live in Oregon, please know that people drown in the rivers here year round. I have friends who work with SAR and they use the boats to recover people more often than we ever hear about.
    Same thing happens in the massive Detroit River that has a very strong current. Just recently, a painter who was working on the Ambassador Bridge fell into the icy water of the river and, despite the fact that a search began promptly, his body has not been recovered. A memorial was held for the young man last week:

January 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Woman's plea to divers in Detroit River: 'Find my son'

By George Hunter and Tom Greenwood
    The Detroit News

Detroit— As a dive team prepared to enter the frigid Detroit River to search for a painter who fell from the Ambassador Bridge, Fawn Salvatore tearfully pleaded for rescuers to "find my son."

According to bridge supervisor Randy Spader, the incident occurred about 1:45 p.m. in the middle portion of the span. Family members identified the painter who fell 150 feet as Kent Morton, 27, of Garden City...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO01/201110422

Vinesa Snegur Missing: Oregon Girl's Search Suspended

ESTACADA, Ore. (AP) — The search for a 6-year-old Oregon girl who fell into the frigid, fast-moving Clackamas River was suspended late Tuesday after searchers recovered several items of her clothing and deteriorating weather conditions put search crews at risk.

.................. .snip .........................

The jacket was found three miles from the spot where the child fell into the river

Water rescue experts said the condition of the fleece indicates the child's body is likely pinned underwater on a snag and the force of the water pulled the jacket free, Rhodes said. The hood of the girl's outer jacket was found on the river bottom two miles downstream from where she fell in.

A puffier outer jacket was found on a riverbank eight miles downstream,

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    awwww this is so sad...

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    Do we know if he knew how to swim? Many people don't.

I think this poor man will relive this nightmare for the rest of his life. My heart goes out to him.

Such a sad story
    Slightly OT but related to "not being able to swim". DH and I are frequent cruisers and have been closely following the Costa Concordia story. We talked about how we would have managed to escape the listing/sinking ship, and since I'm not a swimmer, I said that I'd be to plunge into deep, frigid water even wearing a lifevest. DH quickly reminded me that I can tread water for long periods of time and that I'm capable of doing a backstroke. We'd take each other's hands, count to 3, and jump together to save our lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with this family as the little girl is most likely deceased I agree that the dad will forever be wondering what he could have or should have done to save his child. jmo

Rest.In.Peace. Sweet Girl. Amen.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

As much as I would like to say, "I would have jumped in", I don't think that is true. His only real chance of getting her out of the water would have been to get in front of her before he went into the water. If he couldn't keep up with her, he couldn't have gotten in front of her. And if he had jumped in, I doubt he could have reached her. Even if you can swim well, jumping into a hard current and cold water is not about swimming, it's simply about staying afloat. Your legs are slamming into things, things are slamming into you that were carried by the current, the cold starts making your muscles cramp in seconds, and the cold and adrenaline affect your thinking very quickly. She would have already been ahead of him and, being the lighter of the two, he would have stayed behind her, since she would have been moving faster. His only hope would have grabbing her when she snagged on something, but contrary to rescue scenes in the movies, that would have have been nearly impossible.

I hope he can someday forgive himself.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast