1023 users online (235 members and 788 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Ronald Anderson, 29, delivery driver slain in robbery, Philadelphia, 3 Jan 2012

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-2...t-vacant-house

Ronald Anderson Jr. never had a chance.

The 29-year-old pizza delivery driver was lured to an abandoned house in Southwest Philadelphia earlier this month as part of a four-person robbery plot, police said.

He was gunned down as soon as he stepped out of his car.

"The two males just ran up on him, didn't say a word to him," Philadelphia Police Capt. James Clark said. "It happened really quickly. . . . This was totally senseless."

The men and their two female accomplices took the food and fled, Clark said. They didn't make one cent from the robbery.

For some strange reason, the Inquirer seems to have scrubbed the pictures of the perps from its site.

They're on this page. Scroll down a bit:

http://gregspages.com/discussion/vie...hp?f=17&t=1452

Killed over a pizza? The poor man was just doing his job and killed for absolutely no reason, very sad...I wonder if he had a family (wife, children)?

RIP Robert

Horrid. This is just horrid. A man should be able to make a living without having this kind of thing happen.
    Debora Sue Lowe - Age 13, missing from Pompano, FL since February 29, 1972 (Leap Year)
    Missing Child Haunts Family Nearly 40 Years Later - 9/19/2011
    White Female
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 56″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    Debbie is believed to have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 60s and 70s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn ,Carmen Hallock, Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966.

• Everything I write is JMHO and NO OFFENSE is INTENDED

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Killed over a pizza? The poor man was just doing his job and killed for absolutely no reason, very sad...I wonder if he had a family (wife, children)?

RIP Robert
    He had a wife and four children. There is a Facebook memorial page for him:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Ro...968224?sk=wall

Ambushed deliveryman was affable, hardworking father

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-0...-random-things

It was near closing time Tuesday night at Hot Spot Pizza in Southwest Philadelphia when an order came in for a pizza, cheesesteaks, and wings.

Ron Anderson Jr., 29, a big guy with a big laugh and a boyish smile, was working delivery - $4 an hour, plus tips. His wife, Shanna, was staffing the counter.

Anderson drove three blocks to the 2500 block of Massey Street, pulling up to a slumping rowhouse with broken windows and trash on the lawn.

It was a trap.

Two men emerged from the shadows of the low-lighted street, at least one with a gun, police said. Anderson tried to get back into his SUV. He was shot in a leg and the lower back. The men ran away without taking any money, Jacqueline Crockett, Anderson's mother-in-law, said during a vigil Wednesday night at the crime scene.

Anderson, who had a young daughter and three stepchildren, died within an hour of being shot.

Thanks for the picture...they look like such a happy couple and 4 children have lost their father.....over a pizza...unbelievable...

I've heard of murders for trivial stuff like shoes but food is gone after you've eaten it...

I hope they can track that phone call, the bullets, gun or something to get these people in jail...they are very dangerous and have no limits...

This is terrible. It has happened before, in NJ, maybe 15 years ago. Same circumstances, but they caught the ba**ards who killed the pizza dilevery man. I think it was in Sussex county. If anyone can find the story, I would appreciate it. In that case, same as this one, the pizza was to be delivered to an address, which turned out to be an abandoned house/building. This was before cell phones, so the perps called from a pay phone. But they were caught!! These ones will be too !!

I see now they did arrest all 4 of them...from the OP link....good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jovi Girl View Post
    This is terrible. It has happened before, in NJ, maybe 15 years ago. Same circumstances, but they caught the ba**ards who killed the pizza dilevery man. I think it was in Sussex county. If anyone can find the story, I would appreciate it. In that case, same as this one, the pizza was to be delivered to an address, which turned out to be an abandoned house/building. This was before cell phones, so the perps called from a pay phone. But they were caught!! These ones will be too !!
    I remember this case too. They killed TWO men who delivered the pizzas. It was an ambush and a "thrill killing". Both killers were sentenced to long prison terms. Plenty of articles here:

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/ref...and/index.html

Both men have also had their appeals denied in recent years. They will most probably spend the rest of their lives in prison:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_convi_1.html

So glad they caught those low-lives. What a senseless death!

I've got a couple of questions that I feel bad about asking while his family is mourning his death but I'm really curious.

$4 an hour? Is that normal? In the US do people give generous tips to delivery drivers? Does the company pay for their fuel? It would cost a fair bit running an SUV.
    It says he would work up to 12 hours a day. That's only 48 dollars!!
    And looking at their site, the average large pizza costs between 15 and 20 dollars. That's pretty much the same price as here in Oz, but delivery drivers get paid way more than $4 per hour...they get around $15-$20 p/hr.

The low rate of pay makes this worse. Working that hard for so little, only to be gunned down. It breaks my heart. He had a daughter and 3 step children. He and his wife had ambition. But none of that mattered to the perps. Why not take the food and do a runner? why did an innocent person have to die?

Whoever was holding the gun must have freaked out and shot, or it was done for the thrill of it. It makes no sense.

RIP Ron Anderson Jr...I know that smile of yours will be missed by many.

A long time ago, I worked for a piza shop that had delivery. I believe most drivers use their own vehicle-unless the store has its own fleet of vehicles-which is highly unlikely. When I worked for the pizza shop, drivers weren't reimbursed for gas-but gas was much cheaper then. The hourly wage was very low, so most drivers hurried to get their orders to the customer quickly, while the food was hot. At that time, most people were decent tippers-that is where those guys made money-on tips. Nowadays, I'm not so sure. I always tip delivery people well. I know how hard they work for their money, and seriously, it is becoming a very dangerous form of employment. My prayers to Mr Anderson, who was working to support his family, and gunned down by a bunch of worthless ****s. A young family is without their husband and father-for a pizza? God help us, I do not understand all this violence. I am worried about my city. What is happening to Brotherly Love?

Pat S

Quote Originally Posted by butwhatif? View Post
    So glad they caught those low-lives. What a senseless death!

I've got a couple of questions that I feel bad about asking while his family is mourning his death but I'm really curious.

$4 an hour? Is that normal? In the US do people give generous tips to delivery drivers? Does the company pay for their fuel? It would cost a fair bit running an SUV.
    It says he would work up to 12 hours a day. That's only 48 dollars!!
    And looking at their site, the average large pizza costs between 15 and 20 dollars. That's pretty much the same price as here in Oz, but delivery drivers get paid way more than $4 per hour...they get around $15-$20 p/hr.

The low rate of pay makes this worse. Working that hard for so little, only to be gunned down. It breaks my heart. He had a daughter and 3 step children. He and his wife had ambition. But none of that mattered to the perps. Why not take the food and do a runner? why did an innocent person have to die?

Whoever was holding the gun must have freaked out and shot, or it was done for the thrill of it. It makes no sense.

RIP Ron Anderson Jr...I know that smile of yours will be missed by many.
    Like PAJS said it's about the tips. Many older people deliver as a side job. It's wear and tear on your car. It's your gas money. For everyone that treats you well there's people that treat you like cr*p. Example go up three flight of apaprtment steps and their change is twenty cents and they want it. They want their rotten twenty cents. Usually these are the same people that aks for extra everything on the side. You name it.

We had a pizza delivery man close by who shot and killed a guy that pulled this same exact thing. That was about a year and a half ago.

Many places in bad neighborhoods don't or won't deliver.

Senseless and horrific a lovely man murdered in cold blood.

They don't need to freak. They just shoot for the he*l of it.

RIP Mr. Anderson.

BTW tip your delivery people. I always tip 20% of the bill as I know how tough it is.

My son makes good money delivering pizza. This kind of thing scares me though and is always in the back of my mind

ETA: he does carry a weapon.

Rashad Cheeseboro pleaded guilty to third-degree murder, robbery, and conspiracy, and will be sentenced in August:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0001741-2012

Michael Covington is proceeding slowly to trial:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0001740-2012

I'll try to find out what happened to the two female suspects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast