Thread: North Carolina Death Row Inmate Writes Letter About Life of 'Leisure'

North Carolina Death Row Inmate Writes Letter About Life of 'Leisure'

I don't know where to put this, this area seemed the most appropriate area of the forums.

Interesting read:

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina...-abc-news.html

"Is the public aware that I am a gentleman of leisure, watching color TV in the A.C., reading, taking naps at will, eating three well balanced hot meals a day," Hembree asked in the letter. "I'm housed in a building that connects to the new 55 million dollar hospital with round the clock free medical care 24/7."
    "What the thinker thinks, the Prover proves". - Robert Anton Wilson

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sherbetjello For This Useful Post:

This guy's just pullin' chains, and should be ignored. He has nothing to do BUT nap in what must be at least 23-hour lockdown circumstances 24-7-365. (366 this year.) As for the a/c and color TV - would we really want our prison guards getting jumped by bored-up, sweaty convicts headed for the Death Chamber and thus with absolutely nothing to lose? These are in place to pacify, and put there by prison administration, not "liberal society." Keep 'em relatively comfy in those cells WHERE THEY EXIST ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME and - safer work conditions for public employees. If anyone thinks Death Row in North Carolina turns one into a "gentleman of leisure" - please. Don't let immoral bastards like this one set you off. He's in hell, where he deserves to be, even if he won't admit it.

If that guy was enjoying life on Death Row like he claims, he wouldn't be writing taunting letters to the press goading people into carrying out his sentence. He's a manipulative psychopath, and should be ignored.

but he pays no taxes...LOL
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

He's so happy there yet he's asking them to kill him. Interesting.

Hembree tells the citizens of Gaston County, N.C., that they should petition that state and force them to carry out his "murder sentence."

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ada For This Useful Post:

A relative of mine, who spends a lot of time in jail on drug charges, told me I'd enjoy it in jail - I could sleep when I wanted to, watch tv, read a lot and have someone else cook my meals. In fact, he suggested it was a good way for me to retire.

Go figure.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trident For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    A relative of mine, who spends a lot of time in jail on drug charges, told me I'd enjoy it in jail - I could sleep when I wanted to, watch tv, read a lot and have someone else cook my meals. In fact, he suggested it was a good way for me to retire.

Go figure.
    And was this relative of yours ever on Death Row? I don't think he would enjoy all this sleeping, TV watching and general laziness if he had lethal injection hanging over his head.

Besides, I can sleep when I want to, watch tv, read alot and get someone else to cook for me, but I've never broken the law. You don't have to go to prison in order to get those benefits.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cappuccino For This Useful Post:

Not all prisons are so cushy. My dad was a CO-1 for the state of PA in one of the oldest facilities in PA. It doesn't have AC and during the dog days of summer it is sweltering. In addition, they have a farm where they grow much of their food--inmates work it w/ officers on horseback guarding and they make other products for Big House Industries. The products are shipped out to other institutions to eliminate having to buy products wasting more taxpayer money. I don't know if this is the norm throughout PA, but inmates here (maximum w/ a death row) certainly don't enjoy all of the comforts the ACLU can buy. (Yes, the ACLU has gone after the state several times for the lack of AC, making inmates work, etc., but so far, no go.)

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pandora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sherbetjello View Post
    I don't know where to put this, this area seemed the most appropriate area of the forums.

Interesting read:

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina...-abc-news.html
    Having worked in mental health in the North Carolina Department of Correction as a Correctional Psychological Services Coordinator, I can assure you that being on death row at Central Prison is not a vacation. But he does have a point about a general absence of sure, swift, and relevant punishment in the US. The same revolving doors are in your local courthouse and inside your city jails and state prisons. Commit a crime and you are likely not to get caught, if caught you are likely not to go to trial, if you go to trial you will likely not be convicted, if you are convicted you will likely not be convicted of the crime(s) you committed, if convicted for the crimes you committed you will likely not receive the sentence you deserve, if you receive a sentence that matches your crime you likely will not serve much of it ... then you can start over... after learning that “criminal justice system” is an oxymoron. The judges and politicians stay powerful, the lawyers are well employed, and the prisons just keep rolling along.

Russell
    Even chaos is well patterned.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Knot4u2no For This Useful Post:

How sad for the victims family.
    Just striving to be average.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alwaysonmymind For This Useful Post:

This makes me sooo mad!!!

I didn't see anything on this .... man ...

A convicted murderer on death row in North Carolina wrote a taunting letter to his hometown newspaper about his life of "leisure" in prison and making a mockery of the legal system. Danny Robbie Hembree Jr. was found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Heather Catterton in 2009 and was sentenced to death on Nov. 18, 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina...mmgeAQHJ1k#_=_

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LaWanda For This Useful Post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160929"]North Carolina Death Row Inmate Writes Letter About Life of 'Leisure' - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

hopefully someone can get to him in the system & hopefully some others turn a blind eye while it is happening

we'll see how much he's laughing when the brutal reality, that he's been protected from, comes knocking

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

OOps Thanks!! I searched by his name but nothing came up! =)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LaWanda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    hopefully someone can get to him in the system & hopefully some others turn a blind eye while it is happening

we'll see how much he's laughing when the brutal reality, that he's been protected from, comes knocking
    I understand your sentiments, but anyone in NCDOC turning a blind eye to his harm would be up for criminal charges and civil liabilities.

Russell

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Knot4u2no For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    If that guy was enjoying life on Death Row like he claims, he wouldn't be writing taunting letters to the press goading people into carrying out his sentence. He's a manipulative psychopath, and should be ignored.
    Agreed. I think this is what casey anthony's attitude would be like if she had been found guilty and convicted.

However, I think this guy and others like him are not merely pulling our chains. Psychopaths tend to adjust well to prison, from what I've read. Yeah, they'd rather be out but they don't react like normal people do, like someone with a soul would react to the lack of stimulation, human touch, access to pets, sun, etc. They are already dead inside. Prison ain't nothin' but a thing.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:

The newspaper fed right into it by publishing his letter. They should mark them "return to sender" and leave them unopened. I bet he'd "love" that

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to my2sense For This Useful Post:

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Apparently competent to stand trial and write a letter to the editor.

Russell

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knot4u2no For This Useful Post:

Jurors hear taped confession in Hembree murder trial

Jurors in the murder trial of an accused serial killer heard him confess to the crime in a second taped interview with police.

Danny Hembree tells Gaston County investigators he killed Randi Saldana at his mother's house in 2009.

snip....Hembree was sentenced to death last November for the murder of 17-year-old Heather Catterton.
    http://www.wbtv.com/story/17233881/v...e-murder-trial

He told investigators that his Mom was awake in the kitchen

In the article they call him a serial killer. But so far I have found the two murders.

Ok in an older article it says that he is also suspected of the murder of Deborah Ratchford but hasn't been charged.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1233890.html
    Last edited by mysteriew; 03-26-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

38. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Not all prisons are so cushy. My dad was a CO-1 for the state of PA in one of the oldest facilities in PA. It doesn't have AC and during the dog days of summer it is sweltering. In addition, they have a farm where they grow much of their food--inmates work it w/ officers on horseback guarding and they make other products for Big House Industries. The products are shipped out to other institutions to eliminate having to buy products wasting more taxpayer money. I don't know if this is the norm throughout PA, but inmates here (maximum w/ a death row) certainly don't enjoy all of the comforts the ACLU can buy. (Yes, the ACLU has gone after the state several times for the lack of AC, making inmates work, etc., but so far, no go.)
    IMO prison should be a place no one every wants to go back to. I like that the prisoners need to earn their keep.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    This guy's just pullin' chains, and should be ignored. He has nothing to do BUT nap in what must be at least 23-hour lockdown circumstances 24-7-365. (366 this year.) As for the a/c and color TV - would we really want our prison guards getting jumped by bored-up, sweaty convicts headed for the Death Chamber and thus with absolutely nothing to lose? These are in place to pacify, and put there by prison administration, not "liberal society." Keep 'em relatively comfy in those cells WHERE THEY EXIST ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME and - safer work conditions for public employees. If anyone thinks Death Row in North Carolina turns one into a "gentleman of leisure" - please. Don't let immoral bastards like this one set you off. He's in hell, where he deserves to be, even if he won't admit it.
    The barely throttled back rage between every line of this evil little screed says he knows bloody well he's not sitting in quite the catbird seat he would like us to believe.
    I worked in a correctional institution for seven years.
    Purgatory with cable TV is still Purgatory.
    Just another punk convict shooting off his mouth.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ada View Post
    He's so happy there yet he's asking them to kill him. Interesting.
    BBM:

Well, his wish should be granted, LOL!
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

just how pleasant would it be to sleep in your bathroom and listening to hundreds of people talk all hours of the night. You couldn't get me to the needle fast enough!

Just sayin....

Mel

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LaWanda View Post
    I didn't see anything on this .... man ...

A convicted murderer on death row in North Carolina wrote a taunting letter to his hometown newspaper about his life of "leisure" in prison and making a mockery of the legal system. Danny Robbie Hembree Jr. was found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Heather Catterton in 2009 and was sentenced to death on Nov. 18, 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina...mmgeAQHJ1k#_=_
    He's a real piece of garbage, who took a young woman's life and now wants attention. This is all he is seeking. I doubt it is all cushy and wonderful for this SOB. I think the paper should not have printed his letter and encouraged his behavior of so called "Bragging" about his life. Doubt it is true.

Goz

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gozgals For This Useful Post: