813 users online (105 members and 708 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 180
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Forest Dweller.
    Posts
    10,720
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...and&id=8360554

    Press reports from April 1996 indicate that two severed legs were found on the shores of Davis Park, on Fire Island, by two seasonal residents walking along the beach. The toenails of one foot were painted red and the right leg had 3 1/2-inch scar on the rear calf and L-shaped scar on the shin. The left leg had a 3 1/2-inch scar on the inner side.
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    I thought Dawn Holt resembled Jane Doe 9098 too. But, I think her legs washed up on Fire Island prior to the date she was reported missing. I'll check. Still, maybe the date she was reported missing is not the same date she disappeared?
    You're correct

    According to this story the legs washed up on April 20th 1996 http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...o-murder-case/. Supposedly Dawn Holt was last seen on April 25th.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Forest Dweller.
    Posts
    10,720
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgrumpy View Post
    I know, but I would think someone would have mentioned it eventually since they do list a scar above her eyebrow and tattoos. JMHO
    I'd think so too, but who knows?

    ETA: Ah, thanks for the other link. I never saw the exact date in April that the legs washed up. So, if the dates are correct...not Dawn Holt.
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    I'd think so too, but who knows?

    ETA: Ah, thanks for the other link. I never saw the exact date in April that the legs washed up. So, if the dates are correct...not Dawn Holt.

    I still have always wondered if the date she was last seen is correct? Dawn Holt does look like the sketch, IMO.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907
    IMO, it wouldn't hurt to pass the info onto LE.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    I still have always wondered if the date she was last seen is correct? Dawn Holt does look like the sketch, IMO.
    I agree, Dawn Holt looks a lot like that sketch.

    This link mentions a fractured collarbone, too. I would think, if it was JD 9098, the leg scars would be listed.

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/holt_dawn.html
    Last edited by susan1122; 02-23-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Add link

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907
    Mountain Kat,

    I'm so glad to see you back!

    slim

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgrumpy View Post
    You're correct

    According to this story the legs washed up on April 20th 1996 http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...o-murder-case/. Supposedly Dawn Holt was last seen on April 25th.
    Slight correction, the legs were found on Sunday the 21st of April 1996.
    We can't be sure of when they washed up, but I am fairly certain they washed to blue point beach from gilgo as a result of the Nor Easter of 1996 (Jan 6 - 8).


    There was historic coastal flooding and gilgo lost a tremendous amount of sand.
    They wouldn't have been found any earlier than April because there wouldn't be anyone on that part of fire island until April 1, when the ferry starts and the water is turned back on.

    Those remains could have been buried 3 feet underground and they probably would have been freed up by the erosion.

    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_1996"]North American blizzard of 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907

    Jane Doe 9098's Dental Info

    Jane Doe 9098's dental information at the NamUs website indicates "One or more teeth present". I wonder if the ME can use the same science mentioned below to help locate where Jane might of grown up?


    ArchNews
    Digging up Archaeology News
    Identifying Queen Eadgyth
    By Stephen 26/11/2010
    http://www.archnews.co.uk/featured/3...n-eadgyth.html

    "Dr Alistair Pike in the Department of Archaeology and Anthropology tells how tiny samples of tooth enamel proved the identity of a Saxon queen."

    "Teeth provide remarkable evidence about the early years of an individualís life. The region where a person grew up can be traced in the tooth enamel laid down in their first 14 years because strontium and oxygen isotope ratios in the teeth reflect the food a person ate and the water they drank."

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    Jane Doe 9098's dental information at the NamUs website indicates "One or more teeth present". I wonder if the ME can use the same science mentioned below to help locate where Jane might of grown up?


    ArchNews
    Digging up Archaeology News
    Identifying Queen Eadgyth
    By Stephen 26/11/2010
    http://www.archnews.co.uk/featured/3...n-eadgyth.html

    "Dr Alistair Pike in the Department of Archaeology and Anthropology tells how tiny samples of tooth enamel proved the identity of a Saxon queen."

    "Teeth provide remarkable evidence about the early years of an individualís life. The region where a person grew up can be traced in the tooth enamel laid down in their first 14 years because strontium and oxygen isotope ratios in the teeth reflect the food a person ate and the water they drank."

    WOW, Just think of the things we don't know about. LOL


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907

    Sequencing Jane Doe 9098's Genome

    If the story linked below is any indication, we could learn the eye color, blood type, ethnic background and diseases Jane Doe 9098 was predisposed if her genome were sequenced. Maybe the same science could be applied to Jane Doe 2000, John Doe and the Toddler?


    BBC News
    Science & Environment
    28 February 2012
    Oetzi the Iceman's nuclear genome gives
    new insights
    By Jason Palmer
    Science and technology reporter, BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17191398

    "New clues have emerged in what could be described as the world's oldest murder case: that of Oetzi the "Iceman", whose 5,300-year-old body was discovered frozen in the Italian Alps in 1991."

    "Oetzi's full genome has now been reported in Nature Communications".

    "It reveals that he had brown eyes, "O" blood type, was lactose intolerant, and was predisposed to heart disease."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,346
    What does this have to do with sleuthing Jane Doe? I don't think we have any control over how LE conducts its investigation and what techniques they will use.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907
    It strikes me that one of the things that goes on here at WS are discussions about what is possible when it comes to investigative techniques.

    It's valid, rational and reasonable for people to ask what might be discovered if other avenues of investigation are explored.

    MOO.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    It strikes me that one of the things that goes on here at WS are discussions about what is possible when it comes to investigative techniques.

    It's valid, rational and reasonable for people to ask what might be discovered if other avenues of investigation are explored.

    MOO.
    Your posts along these lines depress me because I have a horrible feeling that LE is doing nothing, as opposed to trying all of these creative (though probably expensive) tactics that you're coming up with. I picture them just sitting around, waiting for something else to happen.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
    Your posts along these lines depress me because I have a horrible feeling that LE is doing nothing, as opposed to trying all of these creative (though probably expensive) tactics that you're coming up with. I picture them just sitting around, waiting for something else to happen.

    I'm sorry! I didn't mean to depress you!

    At least we know these types of techniques exist. Now that we know about them, we can ask LE to at least consider these possibilities, IMHO.

    LE Are You Listenting?!?!

    I do expect that you are right about them being expensive though.

    Here is some good news. The FBI does have a "Nuclear DNA Unit". Nuclear DNA is what was extracted and used to sequence the "Iceman's" DNA. Here is the link:

    The FBI
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Laboratory Services
    DNA-Nuclear
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/dna-nuclear

    "Mission"

    "The Nuclear DNA Unit (NDNAU) provides forensic biological services to the FBI and other duly constituted law enforcement agencies to support the investigative and intelligence priorities through evidence testing using forensic serological and Nuclear DNA methodologies."
    Last edited by Dwntwnslim; 02-29-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Add a Sentence

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM
  2. Fire Island Jane Doe
    By bessie in forum LISK Unidentified Victims
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: 09-09-2017, 09:37 PM
  3. NY-"Baby Hope"Little Jane Doe 1991-New York City
    By Ms Suzanne in forum Facebook for the Missing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 05:18 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 03:56 PM
  5. GUILTY FL - Brandon Gillreath & Corine Motley for child pornography, Mary Esther, 2012
    By Filly in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Tags for this Thread