Energy efficient windows melting plastics

Reality Orlando

Verified Aquaculturalist
Reaction score
STUDIO CITY (CBS) — A SoCal woman says the energy efficient window installed in a neighbor’s condominium is melting the plastic components on cars parked in her carport.

...Patron is not alone. Reports across the country have alleged damages brought on by concentrated sunlight reflected off of energy efficient windows. The National Association of Home Builders is now conducting a study on the matter.

“I just don’t feel like it’s fair,” says Patron. “I feel like it needs to be known that this is happening. And a lot of people probably have damage out there, that they aren’t aware that it’s the windows that are causing this."

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/01/25/woman-claims-neighbors-energy-efficient-windows-are-melting-her-toyota-prius/

Holy crap. And I bet no one will be held responsible. Unforeseen consequences and necessary evil and all that.

But they first guy to patent the coating to stop that from happening will make a small mint, more than likely.

The window sills on the west side of my home used to register about 113 degrees on sunny afternoons. We installed double pane windows, had them coated with a reflective substance, and then put the darkest sun screens available. It worked. We can now live comfortably in the west side of our home!

I wonder if the condo has the same reflective coating as my windows. It basically turned my windows into outward facing mirrors.....we knew we'd have to put screens up to protect our neighbors and people driving by.

It seems to me that the condo association needs to step in and come up with a solution. Could be as easy as requiring screens!

Wow, that's intense! It's a wonder there haven't been any fires, imo. :eek:

My friends put EE windows on the backside of their house because it gets the afternoon So Cal sun. It helps their home stay cooler inside. But they soon found out they could hardly stand to sit out on their back deck because it was so darn hot right outside the new windows. :crazy: It is like they put a heater out on the deck.

My friends put EE windows on the backside of their house because it gets the afternoon So Cal sun. It helps their home stay cooler inside. But they soon found out they could hardly stand to sit out on their back deck because it was so darn hot right outside the new windows. :crazy: It is like they put a heater out on the deck.

Omg. See I would never think about this unless someone pointed it out to me. You know the window mfgs. and contractors have known this stuff for decades and yet I bet they don't say much about it when making a sale.

I'm just blown away by this-- it sure seems like someone could come up with something beneficial to "capture" that excess, or at least use it constructively! I wonder if tropical plants would grow in northern climes? Idk, but the scorch of them is frightening.

It sort of reminds me of this crystal ball I received as a gift-- it's a little larger than a softball and has a stand. I've always kept it on a dressing table in my bedroom with an array of perfumes and jewelry stuff. I'd had it for over twenty years, when I moved it to another location in a hallway-- a friend casually picked it up and held it in the light and it promptly sent a wisp of smoke up from my leather couch!! Sure enough, a brown singe within seconds! :thud: It got moved to permanent shade, but heck, I had NO idea!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back