1407 users online (296 members and 1111 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NM - Former inmate wins $22 million over 'forgotten' solitary confinement

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/25/justic...html?hpt=ju_c2

(CNN) -- A New Mexico man held in solitary confinement in a county prison for nearly two years without ever being prosecuted has won a $22 million jury award for violation of his constitutional rights, officials said.

It is one of the largest federal civil rights settlements in history involving an inmate. Stephen Slevin alleged he was essentially forgotten while in custody.

"This has never been about the money," Slevin said in a halting voice outside the federal courthouse in Santa Fe, just after the jury's decision.

He suffers from post-traumatic stress from what he called physical and mental mistreatment by corrections officials in Dona Ana County, in the southern part of the state.

"We made a statement about what happened to me," he said of the verdict.

More at link....

One of the best fairly recent articles on the effects of solitary confinement:

Hellhole: is long-term solitary confinement torture? (NewYorker.com)

At some point, for a DUI, he should have been brought in front of a judge. As I read this story this morning, I wondered how many others have had a similar circumstance and if it could account for some people who are missing.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Night in the cells accidentally became two years in solitary

I am putting this in this forum because it sounds like a crime to me.

Stephen Slevin was driving along a rural highway in southern New Mexico in August 2005 when traffic police pulled him over and arrested him on suspicion of drink-driving, along with a string of other motoring offences.

By the time all of the charges against him were dismissed and Mr Slevin was released from custody, it was 2007. For reasons that remain unclear, officials had forced him to spend the intervening two years in solitary confinement.

More at link including photos
    England's dancing days are done...

OMG......that poor man!!

And here's a New Yorker article, well worth reading; I had not really considered its devastating effect till I read this a few years ago:

Is long-term solitary confinement torture?

The solitary confinement is one issue, but what I want to know is how they held him for two years without appointing him a lawyer, taking him before a judge, etc.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

Dayum. Poor man. His startling appearance instantly reminded me of Gary Oldman in "Chattahoochee".

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    bizarre & creepy that this happened in a 'civilized' country

& incredibly unfortunate that he apparently had no family/friends looking for him (?)

He was thrown into solitary confinement after officers learned that he suffered from depression and decided he might be suicidal.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-6295937.html

Uhm, if this were true and they believed he 'might' be suicidal, why would he have been put into solitary instead of under a suicide watch?

Last edited by KateB; 06-16-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

As the threads are now combined, my two posts above link to the same New Yorker article, which I'd posted on both. (In case someone happens to click on both and feels him- or herself suffering from a case of sudden onset déjà vu.)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    bizarre & creepy that this happened in a 'civilized' country

& incredibly unfortunate that he apparently had no family/friends looking for him (?)
    I wondered about his family and friends too. I cannot imagine that he didn't have at least one person who missed him. I also cannot imagine that at least one person in that prison didn't do something for this man. This story is all kinds of strange....did anyone lose their job over this? I certainly hope so.

I know it's just TV but there is an old episode of SVU where Stabler goes undercover to see what solitary is like. I remember being absolutely horrified, it scared the heck out of me. That, for sure, would be my own personal hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    One of the best fairly recent articles on the effects of solitary confinement:

Hellhole: is long-term solitary confinement torture? (NewYorker.com)

That was a great article! Thanks

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...i-mans-despair

"Slevin’s sister and other family members actively fought for his release near the end of his detainment once they became aware of his plight, Coyte told msnbc.com Thursday.

“It was her and his aunt and various other family members who were calling legislators, calling county commissioners, saying, ‘Where’s my brother?’” he said."

Another article: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_19896910

"A crisis triage center has been discussed for years, and, after the state Legislature declined to fund it several times, Doña Ana County commissioners voted late last year to pay the construction cost. The facility will hold for up to 24 hours mentally ill patients who are detained but not accused of a serious crime, allow them to be evaluated by a mental health professional and directed to the best route within the system, officials have said."

"The county agreed to a number of conditions, including staffing mental health-care personnel, creating a separate unit for detainees with mental health problems, evaluating all inmates for psychiatric problems upon admission and boosting jail guard numbers."
    Last edited by BuzzieCat; 02-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast