Johnson Holy Rock, Pine Ridge rez housing advocate, passes

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Former Oglala Sioux Tribe president met Kennedy, fought in World War II

Johnson Holy Rock, a former Oglala Sioux Tribe president and World War II veteran who worked to provide better housing for his people, died Saturday in Scottsbluff, Neb. He was 93.

Holy Rock's father was a witness to Battle of the Little Bighorn, in 1876. His father was about 10 years old when the battle took place over June 25 and 26, 1876.

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/fo...7d8-11e1-9872-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1kdUBROG0

I hate seeing elders pass away ... They are such a precious link to people's pasts. We can write of them, and record them, but there is always something more concrete in listening to their stories in person. Once they are gone, that link to our pasts is lost.

I think it's especially important in the US that we value and listen to the stories of our elders, and remember them well, the bad as well as the good. We tend as a nation to have a very, very short memory (cue the old saying about being doomed to repeat history)!

Amazing that his own father was a witness to the LBH battle. I visited some years back, it was early winter, or late fall, and it was SO desolate and lonely. Very eerie place for me, a northeasterner, who is used to lots of people and crowded places.

Peace to Holy Rock and his loved ones. I hope his family continues to share his stories.

I hate seeing elders pass away ... They are such a precious link to people's pasts. We can write of them, and record them, but there is always something more concrete in listening to their stories in person. Once they are gone, that link to our pasts is lost.

I think it's especially important in the US that we value and listen to the stories of our elders, and remember them well, the bad as well as the good. We tend as a nation to have a very, very short memory (cue the old saying about being doomed to repeat history)!

Amazing that his own father was a witness to the LBH battle. I visited some years back, it was early winter, or late fall, and it was SO desolate and lonely. Very eerie place for me, a northeasterner, who is used to lots of people and crowded places.

Peace to Holy Rock and his loved ones. I hope his family continues to share his stories.

Little Big Horn or, as it is also known, Greasy Grass, is a very isolated place but when you stand there you can see, feel and hear the past. It is the same for Wounded Knee.

I always enjoy any chance to listen to Elders, the local university invites the public to sit in on any class when there is an Elder visiting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back