1215 users online (248 members and 967 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Saugerties, WhtMale 405UMNY, 35-45, Omega Sea Master watch, Feb'70

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9819

Status Unidentified
    Case number 3040770
    Date found February 01, 1970
    Date created January 24, 2012
    Date last modified January 25, 2012
    Date QA reviewed January 25, 2012

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact
    Agency Ulster Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
    Phone 845-340-3323

Case Manager
    Name James Browne
    Email james.browne@troopers.ny.gov

Demographics
    Estimated age Adult - Pre 50
    Minimum age 35 years
    Maximum age 45 years
    Race White
    Sex Male
    Weight (pounds) 155, Estimated
    Height (inches) 63, Estimated

Body Parts Inventory
    All parts recovered

Recognizable face

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probable year of death: 1970 to 1970
    Estimated postmortem interval: Days

Circumstances
    Location Found
    City Saugerties
    State New York
    Zip code 12477
    County Ulster

Circumstances of death
    On 02/01/70, an unidentified body was located down an embankment in West Saugerties in the Town of Saugerties, NY (Ulster County). Investigation revealed that the unknown subject was shot .

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Head hair Wavy, bald spot on crown
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No other distinctive body features
    Fingerprints
    Fingerprint information below

Clothing and Accessories
    Clothing and accessories are described below

Clothing on body: Victim was found wearing a 3/4 length tan-brown reversible raincoat, green suit, white dress shirt, black silk tie with label "Playboy." Undergarments: green shirt (XL) with lable "Rimrock" made in Taiwan, blue cotton pajamas with long sleeves (size 0), white T-shirt, white shorts bearing the label "Sun Valley" made in Korea (Medium)

Footwear: Black leather shoes (size 8.5), gray socks, black rubber overshoes (Medium) with label "Wings" made in Canada.
    Jewelry Victim was wearing an imitation ruby ring with a gold setting and an Omega Sea Master wrist watch (silver), s/n# 16815714

Dental
    Dental information / charting is currently not available (Explain in comments box below)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One or more teeth present

DNA
    Sample is currently not available (Explain in comments box below)
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-28-2013 at 01:40 AM.

NamUs doesn't list any of the photos available for this person....

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/405umny.html

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Wanted_an...a-fca87ae3e0c0

http://canyouidentifyme.blogspot.com/search/label/1970

The name Alfonso means noble and ready. It might not be my given name, but it’s a good description of me. Noble means having or showing fine personal qualities: I’m betting waiting patiently for a prolonged period of time qualifies as noble. And I’m sure you can guess I’m definitely ready. I’m ready for you to figure out who I am.

Where it all started: for you, it all started on February 1, 1970, in Saugerties, Ulster County, New York, right off a public highway, not far from the NYS Thruway. That is where they found me and where the story begins for you.

Two children sledding near Plate Cove Road found a frozen body laying in the snow. That frozen body was me. I had been shot four times in the back of my head. The cops declared my death a “gang-land style slaying.” The story of my murder made the local newspapers throughout the 1970’s. See, I didn’t have any identification with me and they were unable to identify me. Even today, people around the country are puzzled by what happened that day and who I am.

The investigation into my death and who I am took the cops around the world. They had reason to believe I might have been “foreign born.” They came up with this because of my ethnicity/looks, my possessions, the way I was murdered and probably other reasons they never, even till this day, have disclosed. Regardless of how many countries they searched, which databases FBI or Interpol used, they were not able to come up with any information on me. They even questioned numerous members of organized crime, hoping they would identify me in exchange for helping them, to no avail.

How can you help? Well, if you know of any missing thirty-five to forty-five year old, white European men from that time period, with dark brown wavy hair with a bald spot, who stood about 5’3 and weighed about 155 pounds, you might know me. That would be how you could help. A little more information that might help you to help me: I was wearing a grey European style suit over pajamas. I had a gold Omega watch made by a company in Portugal. I was also wearing a gold ring with a red stone also made in Portugal. Now you know what I look like and what possessions I had with me that fateful night in February 1970.

The funny thing about this story, the one that’s about to end for you, is the cops thought for certain someone eventually would talk. They believed that one day the Mafia would finally give up my identity. Yeah, that’s a real kicker, seeing as how it’s been forty-one years and so far not one of those wise guys has cracked. Maybe a deathbed confession some point over the next twenty years might still be possible: but is it realistic?

If you have any information about this man, please contact:

New York State Police Troop F
    SP Kingston

1791 Route 209
    Kingston, NY 12401

(845) 338-1702

Reference: The Sunday Freeman, Sunday Morning, February 1, 1976
    “SIX YEARS HAVE PASSED, YET NO VICTIM'S NAME”
    Reposted compliments of Cold Case Investigations on March 2011

I can't get the pictures to post ?

He looks so much like somone I used to know its kind of freaky! His family lives about 2 hours away from where this man was found.
    Last edited by Wanting2Help; 01-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanting2Help View Post
    I can't get the pictures to post ?

He looks so mush like somone I used to know its kind of freaky! His family lives about 2 hours away from where this man was found.

Last edited by CherBearSTL; 01-27-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: wrong pic

A new article on this case, including a new sketch of this man....

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-...est-saugerties

Police still hope to crack 46-year-old cold case of man found shot to death in West Saugerties

WEST SAUGERTIES >> Police have not given up hope of solving the 1970 homicide of a man who was shot in the head and found frozen and lying in the snow wearing a business suit with pajamas underneath.

On Feb. 1, 1970, two children sledding near Platte Clove Road in the town of Saugerties came across the frozen body of a man at the bottom of an embankment, according to the Freeman archives. Their discovery set in motion a murder investigation that spread to foreign shores and continues to this day, 46 years later.

I wonder if with all their international checking, they ever checked with MA and RI about casualties from the New England gang wars that were going on at the time. At least one group was Portuguese (Cape Verdean and Azorean).
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Another article on him in today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/ny...-his-suit.html

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaraOwl View Post
    IMO this guy looks like him just seems a bit tallerRLepsy[1].jpg

AND he like the UID had a bald spot and a rain coat

Quote Originally Posted by Wanting2Help View Post
    Jewelry Victim was wearing an imitation ruby ring with a gold setting and an Omega Sea Master wrist watch (silver), s/n# 16815714
    Interesting that the ruby was paste but the watch was genuine. Those watches currently sell new in the 1,600 - 17,000 range ($2,100 - $22,400) with most in the 4,000 - 6,000 range ($5,200 - $7,900).

The original image of the man doesn't really reflect the other information about his height and weight, as they suggest a BMI of 27.5 (overweight) while the image suggests significant obesity. The more recent image therefore looks much more likely to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mmecaut View Post
    Another article on him in today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/ny...-his-suit.html
    Great article you found!.. this actually has a photo of the UID in the snow full body shot.. the man does not resemble the first reconstruction.. to me he looks much thinner

Quote Originally Posted by MelmothTheLost View Post
    Interesting that the ruby was paste but the watch was genuine. Those watches currently sell new in the 1,600 - 17,000 range ($2,100 - $22,400) with most in the 4,000 - 6,000 range ($5,200 - $7,900).

The original image of the man doesn't really reflect the other information about his height and weight, as they suggest a BMI of 27.5 (overweight) while the image suggests significant obesity. The more recent image therefore looks much more likely to be accurate.
    yes I agree about the first image not reflecting what the man looked like.. I reposted the article in the post above and you can see an image of the actual man.. and get a better idea

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast