Thread: UK's Daily Mail now most-visited newspaper website

UK's Daily Mail now most-visited newspaper website

It's certainly been responsible for an explosion in WS threads.

How the Daily Mail stormed the US (BBC)
    The Daily Mail has overtaken the New York Times to become the world's most visited newspaper website, according to online tracking service Comscore. The biggest increase in readers has been in the US - so how did this very British institution do it?

There is something compellingly simple about MailOnline. No fancy site navigation, picture carousels or slideshows - just a front page with stories and pictures. Thousands of them.

The New York Times claims it is still the world's most popular newspaper website, because the Mail figures include visits to sister sites.

But let that not detract from the British newspaper's achievement in going from nowhere to 45.3 million unique visitors a month in just five years. What is its secret?
    ---
    more, with the BBC attempting to decipher that secret, at link above

thanks to badhorsie for the tip

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

IMO, the Daily Mail does a better job covering US news than Fox, CNN or any of the other nationwide news agencies. Their news is current and not the same story sitting there for days or weeks.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

I discovered DM after becoming frustrated with CNN's growing lack of speed covering the news. While I don't like its politics - and, occasionally, its overabundance of tabloidisms - there's plenty there for everyone.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

The Daily "Wail" (as I've heard a few Brits call it, and I loved it so I stole it shamelessly ) is such a guilty pleasure for me. So tabloid-y, and over the top quite often, but I love their pics, and they frequently have great stories that I don't see elsewhere.

I'm fairly partial to the Guardian for politics, opinion, and serious matters, but I do check the Mail almost daily!
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Yes, on my bookmarks I leave the "Grauniad" a couple entries above DM, but alas, probably visit the latter more per diem.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I discovered DM after becoming frustrated with CNN's growing lack of speed covering the news. While I don't like its politics - and, occasionally, its overabundance of tabloidisms - there's plenty there for everyone.
    Wfgodot - I have to thank you for hooking me on this website. I never knew it existed until you started posting their links. Thanks so much!

And I have to agree - their coverage is much more extensive than any other site I've found.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Wfgodot - I have to thank you for hooking me on this website. I never knew it existed until you started posting their links. Thanks so much!

And I have to agree - their coverage is much more extensive than any other site I've found.
    You're welcome! I really do love a "never a dull moment" site like DM's.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Guardian's great Charlie Brooker has a look at the DM phenomenon:

When the Daily Mail calls rightwingers stupid, the result is dumbogeddon
    On and on the comments went – a chimps' tea party of the damned
    The whole thing at the link above.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post: