MA - Cape mother fights to protect her son

Reader

Reaction score
Unbelievable story of what one mother went through to protect her son from sexual abuse....by his father. This judge should be impeached!

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120129/NEWS/201290335

BARNSTABLE — She thought she finally had the sordid proof in hand; her young son's pajamas stained with what she suspected was his father's semen.

But after years of fighting a language barrier, her own fears and a Barnstable probate judge who did not believe that her ex-husband had molested the boy, she froze.

If she called police, she feared Barnstable Probate Judge Robert Scandurra would take the boy away from her as he had threatened if she made further allegations of sexual abuse against her ex-husband that could not be proven. If she stayed silent, she firmly believed her then 6-year-old son's safety was at risk.

"I was frustrated," she said in a recent interview, adding that she no longer believed that police, state child welfare officials or even advocates for child sexual abuse victims could help.

Haunted by her son's cries for help and her inability to protect him, the Cape Cod mother pressed on anyway. In June 2010, she gave the pajamas to a Sandwich police detective.

Much more at link....

Oh my. This is an awful story!!! What to do about a judge that won't listen to reason. Did this judge get screwed over in a divorce or something? What an *advertiser censored*.

From what I've read so far, I wonder what the "appointed judge" does in his spare time.

My opinion only

This is an incredibly disturbing story. This poor child has apparently been left in the hands of a sexual predator and been continuously abused. This judge is out of his mind.

I would say that Trident completely pegged the judge.

Oh My God, I cant stand it. I just cant stand this story. Scandurra needs to be taken off of the bench.

Let me preface this by saying we dont advocate or do shout out's here on WS for causes without the owner's express permission.

That being said, I filled out a complaint form for the Commission on Judicial Conduct as I believe Judge Scandurra may have violated the code. (Fortunately you do not have to be from Mass to fill it out.)

:furious:

Good job, Believe! It really is quite disturbing and outrageous. The poor little boy keeps telling them that he is being abused, yet the judge keeps sending him back. I don't get it. Also makes me wonder what the judge is up to on his off hours.

Let me preface this by saying we dont advocate or do shout out's here on WS for causes without the owner's express permission.

That being said, I filled out a complaint form for the Commission on Judicial Conduct as I believe Judge Scandurra may have violated the code. (Fortunately you do not have to be from Mass to fill it out.)

:furious:

Way to go, believe09, thanks! I will go to that link and do the same, not mentioning our site but as a private citizen...

The conduct of this judge is really against everything he was told by those working for the child and against the child's interests...never seen anything like this before going on for YEARS in contradiction to all the evidence.

Fortunately when I was working child abuse, we had a great judge who listened to all parties, parents, child, school records, doctors, our recommendation, anything that would help him make the best decision for the CHILD....this idiot must have been getting some kind of kickback from the dad is the only thing I can imagine....or maybe what was suggested above....but something is very wrong here....

Case highlights probate court's different standard

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120129/NEWS/201290336

.........Custody cases that involve allegations of child abuse are the most difficult to decide because there is no witness to the alleged crimes, Barnstable County Probate and Family Judge Robert Scandurra said during an interview with the Times.

"There's never anybody who says, 'Aha, I saw this going on, on that date,'" he said.

Scandurra spoke in general terms and declined to comment on the specifics of a probate case in which a father has been accused numerous times of sexually abusing his son, now 7, over five years. Despite the numerous so-called 51A complaints filed by mandated reporters, including a doctor, a teacher, the boy's therapist and the Department of Children and Families officials, Scandurra continued to allow visits between the father and his son.
------

"There are cases that you don't know for sure what happened, obviously, and you don't know if it's the right decision, but you believe you made the right decision," Scandurra said about deciding custody issues. "I've looked at cases and agonized over making the decision one way or the other and finally said, 'I've got to do this.'"

Once a decision is made, however, he rarely mulls it over again, Scandurra wrote in an email following his interview with the Times.

More at link....

I believe that-but he by necessity needs to recuse himself from this case. He has no business presiding over it. He cannot be impartial. He has shown bias. He has made the law instead of following it.

IMO.

ETA: Now he needs to support his prior ruling or admit his grievous mistakes....either one prevents him from being impartial. Again, IMO.

Patrick Cassidy deserves a pulitzer and most importantly, Mom deserves peace for herself and her little man.

He has a different standard, alright. That's the nice way to put it so I don't get in trouble.

bilde

One question, Judge-have you been sleeping well since the 2010 report showing paternal DNA on those pj's? I mean, what do you say to this little one?

I know that there will be no apology forthcoming, whether or not it is deserved, but I wonder if other parents who have had this judge ruling on their cases might be inclined to look over things....to have a second opinion perhaps.

Watch out folks! Believe is really riled up. I'm very tired today, so you can rant for me. I'm just disgusted. My heart bleeds for this poor little boy. He deserved so much better from this judge.

I'm afraid, Believe, that Scandurra is sleeping just fine. After all, he admitted that he doesn't "mull over" decisions once they are made. In other words, he just moves on and ignores a child's misery. Outrageous.

Don't you wonder how some people can look themselves in the mirror? Like you said, Missizzy, he is probably sleeping just fine. Yet, how can that be? He is the cause of this child's continual sexual abuse and he damn well knows it. Does he really care that little about these children, whose very lives are in his hands?

From this quote in the above article:

Custody cases that involve allegations of child abuse are the most difficult to decide because there is no witness to the alleged crimes, Barnstable County Probate and Family Judge Robert Scandurra said during an interview with the Times.

"There's never anybody who says, 'Aha, I saw this going on, on that date,'" he said.

IMO....the judge obviously is unqualified to even handle child abuse cases. In physical abuse there are signs left; in mental, emotional abuse, there are witnesses usually. But sexual abuse is committed and kept in the dark by the abuser, sometimes with threats to hurt the child or the other parent.

Therefore most who have worked with these cases know that the best witness is the child and this little boy told everyone over and over and the judge knew this and totally ignored this evidence.

However he handles his other work he definitely should not be judging child abuse cases.

ITA!! I'd like to remind the judge that there is most certainly a witness. The child victim!! Why isn't this child being heard???

Before everyone starts throwing tomatoes at me, I'm perplexed over the details provided in this case. Before taking either side, I'm very curious to know how mom obtained these semen stained pajama's. I won't speculate on how they were obtained, but I find that an important detail not presented in the MSM article.

I'm also perplexed as to why after 5 years of allegations of continued abuse no crimal charges have been filed and no pediatrician has been able to substantiate these allegations.

Sadly, I am always suspicious when allegations of sexual abuse by a parent coincide with divorce and custody hearings.

We don't know the judge named in the article has been the same judge that has presided over this case for the entire 5 years this custody battle has been ongoing. Have there been previous judges who have already recused themself from this case?

Why after 5 years has no evidence been found to file criminal charges? Why after 5 years of continued alleged abuse has this not found it's way to criminal court?

Something is not right about these allegations only being made in family court and not making there way to criminal court.

It's really a shame there are so very many false allegations in custody battles it possibly effects those who are true victims. Though, I don't know who the true victim is in this case. There simply isn't enough information.

From the article in the opening post:

On Sept. 29, 2008, the boy told a Department of Children and Families case worker that his father "did something bad, something really, really bad to me" and "I am afraid of daddy," according to a report from the agency. When the then-4-year-old boy was asked why he was afraid of his father the boy replied, "'cause my peepee is hurting again; it's ready; it's ready for hurting," according to the report.

In that same session the boy told an investigator that he "broke his peepee." When asked who broke it, he replied "mommy did, by mistake," according to the report.

and

Scandurra presided over a hearing in the ongoing custody dispute in November 2009 during which the mother represented herself because she said she couldn't find an attorney willing to take her case or stick with it once she did.

It's always concerning imo, why an attorney would not be willing to take a case such as this mothers. How many attorneys has she worked with and why did they not continue?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back