1176 users online (200 members and 976 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Police Taser 12 Year Old Girl

A Miami-Dade police officer used a Taser to stop an unarmed, 12-year-old girl who was running away from him after she was caught skipping school, police acknowledged Friday night

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...edtruantgirl12
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    A Miami-Dade police officer used a Taser to stop an unarmed, 12-year-old girl who was running away from him after she was caught skipping school, police acknowledged Friday night

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...edtruantgirl12
    Ok. Somebody needs to get over to Miami-Dade and confiscate every dam* taser gun they've got. deputylinda?? How about you? These guys are out of control.

Well at the very least that girls' bills will be paid by the city for a long time to come and this cop needs to lose his job. Not a good thing here at all.

OK, the details I heard were that she was smoking pot, skipping school, police tried to nab her, she fought, she ran and was running dangerously towards traffic and the cop zapped her.

I think some of these punk kids need a good zapping. Apparently they aren't getting any discipline. Don't run from the cops dumb ass.

Sorry, no sympathy here. If she wants to play little convict, she can be treated like one.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    OK, the details I heard were that she was smoking pot, skipping school, police tried to nab her, she fought, she ran and was running dangerously towards traffic and the cop zapped her.

I think some of these punk kids need a good zapping. Apparently they aren't getting any discipline. Don't run from the cops dumb ass.

Sorry, no sympathy here. If she wants to play little convict, she can be treated like one.

Zig, that does put a little different spin on the whole matter, doesn't it? Maybe they're just trying to prevent another Rodney King in the making???

I don't believe Tazering a 12-year is reasonable use of a stun gun by a police officer. Neither is stunning a mentally-disturbed 6-year-old. It's not very far from here to cattle-prodding the autistic and the mentally disturbed as "behavior modification".

[Police Director Bobby] Parker said department policy permits officers to use the Taser to apprehend someone, but he said he expected his officers to use better judgment -- especially when police had no plans to arrest someone playing hooky.

''If you use it to apprehend an adult, it would be an arrest kind of situation,'' said Parker, adding that the timing of the latest incident couldn't be any worse.

His department is already under fire for using a Taser to subdue the 6-year-old last month. That zapping has made national headlines and prompted calls from child advocates that Miami-Dade review its Taser use.

Parker said Friday night that his department will review its Taser policy. ''That doesn't mean that we're going to change it,'' he said.

County Commissioner Joe Martinez, a former Miami-Dade officer, said the policy needs to be tightened.

''When you have a 6-year-old who is on medication and very disturbed, maybe some of that crisis intervention training would be very handy,'' he said, referring to a program that teaches officers how to deal with the mentally ill. ``Now, when I learn that a 12-year-old girl was running away, truant, and was also Tasered, I think it's time we instruct the county manager to look at that policy.''

- http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/10170605.htm

OK, Police Director Bobby Parker says the decision to use the tazer was "poor judgement". The girl was being chased for playing HOOKY, not for smoking pot. He does not mention pot at all, does not use that issue as a defense of his officer. Maybe the pot smoking never occured? Could it be that's just a rumor? I just cannot see any excuse for tazering a 12 year old unarmed girl, even if she had been drinking. How hard could it be to chase down and tackle a drunk 12 year old? This department has made some BAD decisions about use of tazers and they all need to go back to tazer school to learn the do's and the don'ts or else they need to turn in their tazers.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Ok. Somebody needs to get over to Miami-Dade and confiscate every dam* taser gun they've got. deputylinda?? How about you? These guys are out of control.
    i may be mistaken, but i thought i heard officer was fired (?) not sure, been at work. we had a thread a few months back about similar incident. Cass will probably find it! i was not there, do not know details, and hate to condone tasing a child. i would not do it except in extremis. and i would say, a child with a weapon can kill you just as dead...but that was not case here. will try to find prior thread and discussion.....

I'll monitor the review process through the media's reports and see what's cooking on these 2 cases of stun gunning children in Florida.

Fri, Nov. 19, 2004
    Miami-Dade reviews stun gun use after 6- and 12-year-olds hit
    LISA ORKIN EMMANUEL
    Associated Press
    MIAMI - Miami-Dade County police are reviewing their policy on Taser stun gun use after officers shocked a 6-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl, sparking public outrage.

Police Director Bobby Parker defended Friday the use of the 50,000-volt stun gun on the boy in a school office, saying the child had cut himself twice with a shard of glass and was threatening to harm himself further.

But he said the use of the stun gun on the girl, who was fleeing officers because she was drunk and apparently skipping school, was questionable.

"We think the officer made a decision to utilize the Taser in a situation which is outside the policy of the department and procedures established by us," Parker said. The officer could be disciplined.
    --->>

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/10226990.htm

Team Amber News: School Superintendent: No Stun Guns On Elementary Students

Americas Amber Alert News Center(MIAMI FL USA) AP -- The head of Miami-Dade Schools has asked the county's police chief to ensure that stun guns are not ever again used against elementary school children.

In a letter released Friday, Superintendent Rudy Crew told Miami-Dade Police Director Bobby Parker that "certain tactics should never be used in dealing with young children - particularly within a school."

The letter was released the same day Parker defended the use of the 50,000-volt stun gun on a 6-year-old boy in a school office, saying the child had cut himself twice with a shard of glass and was threatening to harm himself further.

Parker did acknowledge the use of a stun gun on a 12-year-old girl, who was fleeing officers because she was drunk and apparently skipping school, was questionable.
    --->> http://www.teamamberalert.net/news/m...ticle&sid=5411

And another complaint on taser filed in Miami-Dade:

Tue, Nov. 23, 2004
    MIAMI-DADE POLICE
    Arrested teen says he got zapped
    A 16-year-old who admits to driving a stolen car says Miami-Dade police repeatedly shocked him with a Taser. His is the latest complaint about police use of the stun gun against juveniles.

BY GAIL EPSTEIN NIEVES
    gepstein@herald.com
    A 16-year-old admitted car thief has accused Miami-Dade officers of zapping him repeatedly with a Taser stun gun after he was subdued on the ground and handcuffed.

The Homestead teen, who filed a police brutality complaint Monday, said in an interview that an irregular mass of about 16 dark, raised marks on his chest were inflicted by one or more plainclothes officers using Tasers last week.

His complaint was the latest against the department's use of the stun gun on juveniles, though earlier controversial incidents involved much younger minors, ages 6 and 12.

The teen, whose name is being withheld by The Herald, said police stopped him and three buddies in a stolen car in South Miami-Dade on Wednesday night.

The arrest report showed officers charged the teen with grand theft auto, a felony, and resisting without violence, a misdemeanor. The report does not mention use of a Taser or any resistance from the teen, who admitted he knew the car was stolen.
    --->> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/10250485.htm

That police department has a problem. A BIG problem. I'll say it again: somebody needs to confiscate ALL of their tasers until they have been properlly educated on when how and why they should be used.

HERALD INVESTIGATION
    Experts dispute data on stun guns
    Taser International said its weapons were a safe way to subdue children, but some researchers say more study is needed.

BY LISA ARTHUR, SUSANNAH A. NESMITH AND JACOB GOLDSTEIN
    larthur@herald.com

Taser International calls the outcry after Miami-Dade police zapped two children with its stun gun unjustified -- the company says it has the science to prove the weapon is safe for use on kids.

But researchers, doctors and one of the world's most respected independent testing labs dispute various elements of Taser's data and say more research is needed.

Taser uses a chart in its training manual that says its weapon delivers a shock well below a threshold that Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has deemed safe for a 2-year-old.

But some UL scientists question the application of their study to Tasers.

''For them to say that Taser is safe based on that line, I don't accept that,'' said Walter Skuggevig, a research engineer at UL for 41 years who has done extensive study into electric shock injury. ``It's not an appropriate limit for that kind of product.''

In its literature, Taser cites several animal studies it sponsored that it says show the gun is safe for kids.

But a lead researcher on those studies said he didn't design the experiments with kids in mind.
    - http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/10342287.htm

Police to get more stun guns

Plantation police are adding to their arsenal of Taser stun guns, which have created some controversy in South Florida.

By EVAN S. BENN
    ebenn@herald.com

Nearly every Plantation police officer will soon carry a Taser stun gun as City Council members on Wednesday approved the purchase of 60 additional Tasers.

The new devices, which cost a total of $86,000 and can immobilize suspects with a 50,000-volt shock, will beef up the department's Taser numbers to 192.--->>

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/10326432.htm

They just got their little toys.

School Police To Get Tasers
    The Associated Press
    JACKSONVILLE -- Police officers working in Duval County middle and high schools will soon carry Taser guns, joining the ranks of several other counties where the stun guns are issued to school resource officers.

Some school officials are surprised by the action, saying they were never told by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office that it planned to issue stun guns to the officers assigned to most middle and high schools.--->>

Two of the School Board's seven members, Brenda Priestly Jackson and Kris Barnes, said they already have concerns with police presence in schools and are opposed to equipping the officers with Tasers.

"Can't a couple of adults take down a child?" Barnes said.

Some parents say the weapons are excessive and could easily be misused, especially with children who have attention-deficit or hyperactivity disorder.

Reta Russell-Houghton, president of the Duval County PTA/PSA, representing 154 schools and 4,500 members, said Tasers in schools are inappropriate because children react differently from adults.--->>

A policy being drafted by the Sheriff's Office said the weapons should not be used on pregnant women or suspects in control of a motor vehicle, in danger of falling from an elevated location or near a pool, lake or flammable liquid or fumes. They also should not be used on animals.

The proposed policy does not mention any limitation on students.--->>

Since 2001, Clay County officers have used Tasers on three unarmed students, two 15-year-olds and an 18-year-old, essentially because they did not follow officers' orders. They were not injured.

Clay County Superintendent David Owens has said Tasers are a safe way to break up fights and avoid injuries.

Putnam County, which approved the weapons early last year, has used it on four students, a 12-year-old, a 14-year-old and two 16-year-olds.

In October, Miami-Dade County resource officers used a Taser on a 6-year-old, who was wielding a shard of glass.--->>

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...78/0/FRONTPAGE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast