1237 users online (247 members and 990 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #4

Please continue here.

http://www.kbzk.com/news/search-underway-for-missing-montana-teacher/

43-year-old Sherry Arnold disappeared from Sidney, Montana while on an early morning jog on Saturday, January 7, 2012. Her running shoe was later found next to the road on her route. The following Friday, her death was "confirmed", although her body has not been found. Two men have been arrested in North Dakota and charged with aggravated kidnapping in connection with her disappearance.

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 10:35 PM. Reason: repair url tags.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but this is a quote from a family member's website:

"For several days there was no sign of Sherry. On the seventh day, a tip was received on the FBI’s tip line that led to the arrest of two men, one in North Dakota and one in South Dakota. One of the men confessed to killing Sherry. She had been abducted at 6:40 a.m., only about a mile from her house."

There is also a fundraiser/run set up at the link. http://www.shutupandrun.net/2012/01/...-february.html

Montanasleuth wrote:

I agree with the post regarding the odd coincidences of the Florida locations. the man they arrested for Brian Doyle's death lived in Jensen Beach , Martin County and has arrest records in Martin County for stolen goods , felony driving while sickened and parole violations. The person he is accused of killing live in a very nearby county. Lester Vann Waters, suspect in Sherry Arnold's disappearance lived in nd has arrest records in an adjacent county Indian River. neither location is large in terms of city population, and both were living there and were arrested in similar time frames. just very odd, and overly coincidental.
    My ex-husband had family that lived in Indian River County, Florida. Things have no doubt changed since I was last there in 1988 but I don't think that much.

While there were no large cities in the area, the entire county is peppered with small towns. The overall population is 112,000 people.

I suspect that the reason Waters was drawn to Indian River County is that it is one of the 100 richest counties in the US. I think I recall he had a couple burglary convictions, so he was probably following the money.

When I looked up Martin County, the population is 148,000. It is not adjacent to Indian River County. While it isn't as wealthy as Indian River County, there's a fair amount of wealth there.

I must have missed something. Where do we have information that one of them confessed?

Quote Originally Posted by Eoanthropus Dawsoni View Post
    I must have missed something. Where do we have information that one of them confessed?
    http://www.shutupandrun.net/2012/01/...-february.html

That blog is dated Jan 29. Poster claims to be Sherry's cousin. While interesting, I can't chalk the message up as "bonified". It may be an interpretation, it may be the Gospel. I can't consider it a puzzle piece until the information is confirmed by authorities. Pure speculation might be viewed as "strong speculation" after this information from a claimed relative. All this is IMHO, I need to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    http://www.shutupandrun.net/2012/01/...-february.html

That blog is dated Jan 29. Poster claims to be Sherry's cousin. While interesting, I can't chalk the message up as "bonified". It may be an interpretation, it may be the Gospel. I can't consider it a puzzle piece until the information is confirmed by authorities. Pure speculation might be viewed as "strong speculation" after this information from a claimed relative. All this is IMHO, I need to add.

Thanks. Yes, I think we need to wait to hear what the prosecution and LE have to say. At this point they are still holding their cards very close. Charging in city court rather than district court is highly unusual. They must have some very good reasons for keeping a lid on the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoanthropus Dawsoni View Post

"The article states: "Family members have been told that one of the men has confessed to killing Arnold, but they're still desperately waiting to hear how and why."
    http://www.krtv.com/news/sherry-arno...ople-magazine/

But...

I thought I remembered I read the confession bit in People, but when I went back to link it here, the confession was no longer mentioned in the story. So, I did a Google search for "Sherry Arnold confession" and the results point to People mag as the one who said it first. But there is no longer any reference to it. Odd...

Bumpity bump

o/t bringing sherry to the top

Websleuths is pretty amazing, I have to completely stay out of FB discussions of the missing or I'd go nuts.

*All posts are my opinion only, and only my opinion.*

mama to 12 / adoptive parent educator

I can't speak for other posters here, but I never considered Gary Arnold a suspect in this case. I see nothing wrong with having questioned where he was when Sherry disappeared and trying to establish a timeline. Stranger abductions are extremely rare, particularly stranger abductions of adults. The cases on WS that bother me much more are the missing children cases because everyone seems to automatically assume the parents are guilty, mainly based on statistics. That troubles me. Cases like Lisa Irwin's trouble me particularly because her parents are raising 2 other children right now who may one day read the accusations against their parents and it will probably color their view of their parents even if one day they are cleared of all suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by liltexans View Post
    I can't speak for other posters here, but I never considered Gary Arnold a suspect in this case. I see nothing wrong with having questioned where he was when Sherry disappeared and trying to establish a timeline. Stranger abductions are extremely rare, particularly stranger abductions of adults. The cases on WS that bother me much more are the missing children cases because everyone seems to automatically assume the parents are guilty, mainly based on statistics. That troubles me. Cases like Lisa Irwin's trouble me particularly because her parents are raising 2 other children right now who may one day read the accusations against their parents and it will probably color their view of their parents even if one day they are cleared of all suspicion.
    I didn't either, but for the most part I can understand where others are coming from in their analysis and appreciate it as part of our discussion. Like you said, stranger abductions are so rare.

And ITA with what you said about the cases involving children.

Do you guys think he would have taken her across the state line? I kinda think with his prior experience with corrections and law enforcement he wouldn't. But then, he was only running on a few brain cells that morning. If it was a quick impulsive crime, I think disposal would have been quick too. Which would mean she's not far North. Any road coming off the main highway that looked inviting, like a dirt road, unused, overgrown. i notice Frontage Rd dead ends at a river/stream before crossing state lines.

HFH,

In Montana, even if they didn't cross state lines, they would still be facing the DP right?

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. I thought about them looking long and hard for somewhere out in the middle of no where so they could take there time at an abandoned property. But then would criminals want to spend any amount of time with evidence that puts the blame completely on their shoulders? Probably not.

I tend to go with the scenario that they found a natural dip in the landscape, covered her with sod and whatever else they could find. Hopefully animals have not found Sherry's remains. It does sound like many remains are found this way, indicating that many that are buried like this are not bothered by animals.

If there is some truth to what people are saying that Sherry could be found when the seasons change they don't have much longer to make a deal because I think that the prosecution is going to move forward with or w/out a body.

I hope they find Sherry soon though.
    Last edited by daisy.faithfull; 02-03-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added some thoughts

I am very bothered by the lack of information on any search efforts to locate Sherry. One thing that occurs to me is that by now, since she hasn't been found, if landowners have been contacted, and followed up with, I would start mixing things up a little. Like if the suspects said they went north, I would start looking south. If they said "shelter belt" I would think about looking in a gravel pit. I am not saying people should not be checking their properties, but I am beginning to be suspicious that the description is too vague, maybe deliberately so. Having driven for hours across the land, if someone asked me what I saw, I would say "homesteads, populated and abandoned, with shelter belts." If I wanted to hide a body and send people on a wild goose chase, I would say the same thing, because it makes sense. Given the vast landscape, I do not think it is unusual that she has not been found. I just think maybe the possibility of additional locations should be considered. Know how easy it is to drive into a landfill or gravel pit around these parts? It isn't that hard. Just a thought. I am curious if they had a map in their possession when the truck was found and what that showed. There are some Montana editions of atlases that are fairly detailed, and show things like side roads, small river drainages, etc. If they had a shovel, they might have had one of those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by liltexans View Post
    Not trying to argue, but abductions/murders by someone outside the family are not all that rare, they do happen, we just don't hear about them unless the media picks up on it for whatever reason. As a matter of fact, there are so many cases we never hear about unless we live in that area. The media cannot possibly cover them all, they only hit a very small portion. Considering the circumstances of how Sherry went missing, I would say it would be a very long shot if her husband had anything to do with it. I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast