592 users online (58 members and 534 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4 senators introducing legislation to get rid of dollar bill, replace with coin

Senators: Get Rid of Dollar Bills (Wall Street Journal)
    Some U.S. lawmakers want the coin to be the dollar of the realm.

Sens. Tom Harkin (D., Iowa), John McCain (R., Ariz.) and two colleagues Tuesday are introducing legislation that would kill off the dollar bill in favor of dollar coins, touting the move as a way to cut costs over the long run.

“Promoting the dollar coin is a smart investment for our country that saves taxpayer’s money,” Harkin said.

The move is latest in a long-running battle between those who think it is wasteful to print dollar bills, which wear out and have to be replaced frequently, and those who say the $1 coin is the real waste of money because Americans don’t like them.
    ---
    more at WSJ link above

I would have no problem with a dollar coin. People would get used to it.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Pound coins replaced pound notes in the 1980s here to much resistance. Many still say they would prefer notes - the coins can be heavy and bulky when there are a lot. We have a £2 coin as well which is somewhat useful when being given change.

Coming from a dollar bill to a pound coin really never bothered me though. I think the initial implementation will be the most difficult. If it's going to save money though, worth it, in my opinion.

It would cost the tax payers buckets to mint dollar coins and get them into circulation. This isn't the freaking time for BS like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Lera213 View Post
    It would cost the tax payers buckets to mint dollar coins and get them into circulation. This isn't the freaking time for BS like this!
    Not really. We have over a billion dollars stored in dollar coins.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...-reserve-banks

Isn't that because they didn't go over well the first time "they" tried this?

as long as they are a much different size than the quarter... remember the susan b. anthony disaster :/ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I would have no problem with a dollar coin. People would get used to it.
    Hubby and I were talking about this and the fact that a coin will most likely be much heavier to carry than paper. Imagine 30 coins in your purse rather than 30 paper bills.

A huge waste of time, IMO...do stuff like this when and if there is nothing else to worry about...
    JMO
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Hubby and I were talking about this and the fact that a coin will most likely be much heavier to carry than paper. Imagine 30 coins in your purse rather than 30 paper bills.
    You're right about that!I had to get used to the loonie and toonie here in Canada.They are one and two dollar coins.They do add up some weight in a purse and in your pockets.

We have our dollar and 2 dollar coins

We call them our loonie and our toonie. lol

I wish we could get rid of pennies. Those are my pet peeve!

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Isn't that because they didn't go over well the first time "they" tried this?
    Yes. Coins will always be "change", whereas paper is real currency.

It may be me but, I think we have a few things that are just a tad bit more important right now. I think things like the economy and healthcare should be prioritized right now. This legislation will take time and money something we don't have a whole lot of these days. I think it would be a little bit of a inconvenience for people who work for tips.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Big savings in the long run; they should just do this and get it over with. The Loonie works in Canada.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast