4 senators introducing legislation to get rid of dollar bill, replace with coin

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Senators: Get Rid of Dollar Bills (Wall Street Journal)
Some U.S. lawmakers want the coin to be the dollar of the realm.

Sens. Tom Harkin (D., Iowa), John McCain (R., Ariz.) and two colleagues Tuesday are introducing legislation that would kill off the dollar bill in favor of dollar coins, touting the move as a way to cut costs over the long run.

“Promoting the dollar coin is a smart investment for our country that saves taxpayer’s money,” Harkin said.

The move is latest in a long-running battle between those who think it is wasteful to print dollar bills, which wear out and have to be replaced frequently, and those who say the $1 coin is the real waste of money because Americans don’t like them.
---
more at WSJ link above

I would have no problem with a dollar coin. People would get used to it.

Pound coins replaced pound notes in the 1980s here to much resistance. Many still say they would prefer notes - the coins can be heavy and bulky when there are a lot. We have a £2 coin as well which is somewhat useful when being given change.

Coming from a dollar bill to a pound coin really never bothered me though. I think the initial implementation will be the most difficult. If it's going to save money though, worth it, in my opinion.

It would cost the tax payers buckets to mint dollar coins and get them into circulation. This isn't the freaking time for BS like this!

Isn't that because they didn't go over well the first time "they" tried this?

as long as they are a much different size than the quarter... remember the susan b. anthony disaster :/ lol

I would have no problem with a dollar coin. People would get used to it.

Hubby and I were talking about this and the fact that a coin will most likely be much heavier to carry than paper. Imagine 30 coins in your purse rather than 30 paper bills.

A huge waste of time, IMO...do stuff like this when and if there is nothing else to worry about...
JMO

Hubby and I were talking about this and the fact that a coin will most likely be much heavier to carry than paper. Imagine 30 coins in your purse rather than 30 paper bills.

You're right about that!I had to get used to the loonie and toonie here in Canada.They are one and two dollar coins.They do add up some weight in a purse and in your pockets.

We have our dollar and 2 dollar coins

We call them our loonie and our toonie. lol

loonie.JPG

I wish we could get rid of pennies. Those are my pet peeve!

It may be me but, I think we have a few things that are just a tad bit more important right now. I think things like the economy and healthcare should be prioritized right now. This legislation will take time and money something we don't have a whole lot of these days. I think it would be a little bit of a inconvenience for people who work for tips.

Big savings in the long run; they should just do this and get it over with. The Loonie works in Canada.

Pound coins replaced pound notes in the 1980s here to much resistance. Many still say they would prefer notes - the coins can be heavy and bulky when there are a lot. We have a £2 coin as well which is somewhat useful when being given change.

Coming from a dollar bill to a pound coin really never bothered me though. I think the initial implementation will be the most difficult. If it's going to save money though, worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks to you and the Canadians for the calm voices of experience.

I confess that my first reaction, too, is to be against this. But if you guys say we'll get used to it, I'll keep an open mind.

you'll get used to it Nova & others ...

it's not really added weight in your wallet/pocket because you spend it more than the smaller change ... and it's like gold when you find a loonie or toonie in your pile of coin in the car when you're in the coffee drive-through :D

I really wish we could get rid of the useless penny (& nickle & dime) though and re-introduce a 50 cent coin

you'll get used to it Nova & others ...

it's not really added weight in your wallet/pocket because you spend it more than the smaller change ... and it's like gold when you find a loonie or toonie in your pile of coin in the car when you're in the coffee drive-through :D

I really wish we could get rid of the useless penny (& nickle & dime) though and re-introduce a 50 cent coin

My husband is the biggest penny hater in the world.He'll rifle through his pockets for pennies in a last minute Christmas line up or there could be a semi headed straight for us...doesn't matter.He will dig for that 1 penny so he won't get 4 back.

Thing is, a person typically doesn't have much reason to carry 30 $1 bills, and the same holds with $1 coins. Many countries have moved to coins for lower denominations without the sky falling. Considering that prices for items in vending machines are often more than $1, the argument can be made that it will be a reduction in coin weight for many, as it's lighter to have one $1 coin than it is to have 4 quarters. Ultimately, it is a cost saving.

It may be me but, I think we have a few things that are just a tad bit more important right now. I think things like the economy and healthcare should be prioritized right now. This legislation will take time and money something we don't have a whole lot of these days. I think it would be a little bit of a inconvenience for people who work for tips.

Actually it's a great time to make the change. We have had a well designed dollar coin since the year 2000. Any vending machine produced in the last 30 years can accept this coin. The US Mint and the Federal Reserve have over a billion dollar coins sitting in vaults ready to ship. And we will save money over the long run because dollar coins last far longer than dollar bills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back