Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

animlzrule

Reaction score
Susan G. Komen's Act of Cowardice:

"In a shocking move Tuesday afternoon, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the country's most famous breast cancer charity, pulled its grants for breast-cancer screenings from Planned Parenthood."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...throws_planned_parenthood_under_the_bus_.html

This disgusts me. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and we participate every year in our local Susan G. Komen walk/run. I'm sorry to say I've made my last donation to Susan B. Komen and will divert that money over to Planned Parenthood unless/until they reverse their stance. This country is crawling with enough anti-women's health proponents. Susan G. Komen has just spit in the face of millions of their donors. Shame on them.:furious:

Susan B. Komen's Act of Cowardice:

"In a shocking move Tuesday afternoon, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the country's most famous breast cancer charity, pulled its grants for breast-cancer screenings from Planned Parenthood."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...throws_planned_parenthood_under_the_bus_.html

This disgusts me. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and we participate every year in our local Susan B. Komen walk/run. I'm sorry to say I've made my last donation to Susan B. Komen and will divert that money over to Planned Parenthood unless/until they reverse their stance. This country is crawling with enough anti-women's health proponents. Susan B. Komen has just spit in the face of millions of their donors. Shame on them.:furious:

Amen and thanks for the tip, animizrule.

This disgusts me. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and we participate every year in our local Susan B. Komen walk/run. I'm sorry to say I've made my last donation to Susan B. Komen and will divert that money over to Planned Parenthood unless/until they reverse their stance. This country is crawling with enough anti-women's health proponents. Susan G. Komen has just spit in the face of millions of their donors. Shame on them.:furious:

Breast Cancer has touched my family and friends heavily. I am named after my mom's mom who I never got to meet because she died when I was 6 weeks old of BC. I have the gene. I have 2 close friends who are survivors. One of my youngest's BF's mom is suffering.
I donate heavily and I will let them know why I no longer will.

I screwed up my thread title. Does anyone know how to change Susan B to Susan G?

Thanks for the article. That is really sad. The MAJORITY of Planned Parenthood's services are for contraception, screenings, etc. But some people I guess just choose to overlook that. There are plenty of other organizations I can donate my money to. Susan G Komen is now off my list, and I am going to tell my friends and family about this.

Their facebook page is getting slammed with negative comments and vows to suspend donations. And now the spin has begun..... I guess the good news is, Planned Parenthood is going to get a lot of donations they wouldn't otherwise have gotten.

what is the investigation into PP regarding?

My aunt that I adored died at 44 with her second round of breast cancer. I've had a borderline phyllodes tumor removed from my breast. These funds are still available through Susan G. Komen, women in need can still get breast exams covered, just not at Planned Parenthood. I was glad to see this decision. Moo

This disgusts me. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and we participate every year in our local Susan G. Komen walk/run. I'm sorry to say I've made my last donation to Susan B. Komen and will divert that money over to Planned Parenthood unless/until they reverse their stance. This country is crawling with enough anti-women's health proponents. Susan G. Komen has just spit in the face of millions of their donors. Shame on them.:furious:

Huh? Women have 'choice' in this country and that is never going to change. JMO and all that jazz.

Here we go:

"The seven former employees of affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, which is under congressional investigation for possible misuse of taxpayer funds, sent a letter to Chairman Fred Upton, a pro-life Michigan Republican, and Ranking Member Henry Waxman, a pro-abortion California Democrat"

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/12/07/former-planned-parenthood-workers-back-congressional-probe/

The whistleblowers are former employers and pro abortion so this doesn't appear to be about 'womens rights'.

JMO

Here we go:

"The seven former employees of affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, which is under congressional investigation for possible misuse of taxpayer funds, sent a letter to Chairman Fred Upton, a pro-life Michigan Republican, and Ranking Member Henry Waxman, a pro-abortion California Democrat"

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/12/07/former-planned-parenthood-workers-back-congressional-probe/

The whistleblowers are former employers and pro abortion so this doesn't appear to be about 'womens rights'.

JMO

How unfortunate that an organization that uses breast cancer victims to raise money has decided to penalize some of those victims for what may or may not be the financial misconduct by PP employees. Everybody loses.

JMO

How unfortunate that an organization that uses breast cancer victims to raise money has decided to penalize some of those victims for what may or may not be the financial misconduct by PP employees. Everybody loses.

JMO

PP is not the only org that SGK supports. There are other options for getting the screening.

I'd be concerned about donating to an org that may not be using the money for the screening? JMO

PP does a lot of work with lower income folks, and women with no health insurance. I'm not sure how their BC screenings work but... Damn this feels like throwing a bunch of poor or uninsured folks under the bus, to me.

How very, very, "pro-life" of the Komen charity. :furious:

Here we go:

JMO

EGirl, your link is to an anti-choice site. Here is a link to a progressive news source.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/02/01

And here is Planned Parenthood's own press release:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ab...gation-latest-attempt-undermine-hea-37956.htm

Let me get this straight, PP is being investigated for mishandling funds but SGK is being bashed for pulling their funding?

They have a right to pull their funding if they think that money is not being handled properly. It would be very irresponsible of them to continue giving money they have raised to an organization that may be corrupt.

PP is not the ONLY place women can get free screenings.

JMO

It's a nuisance investigation filed by a conservative Republican congressman from Florida as to whether or not Planned Parenthood is in violation of the Hyde Ammendment related to how abortions are funded. This is the same rhetoric and tired old argument drug out time and time again by anti-choice and anti-women's health organizations in order to undermine the advocacy of Planned Parenthood. These same groups also dubiously point to a link between abortion and breast cancer, a claim completely without merit. And interestingly, the Komen organization recruited Karen Handel as their President for Public Policy. She had advocated for the defunding of Planned Parenthood during her failed bid for Georgia governer in 2010, and publicly stated she does not support the mission of Planned Parenthood. This decision was made to satisfy someone's political agenda, regardless of the negative impact it has on Planned Parenthood, which has done more for women's health under a broad spectrum of services than the Susan G. Komen organization ever has.

I wrote the Komen Foundation a letter expressing my support for their decision. I too am strongly pro-life. For others who share my beliefs, you may be interested to know that they do not support stem cell research either.

Huh? Women have 'choice' in this country and that is never going to change. JMO and all that jazz.

If women and those of us who care about their rights and health continue to vote for GOP candidates, that "choice" may not be as assured as you think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back