1312 users online (264 members and 1048 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Question if you have watched Paradise Lost3

Ok, if you've watched Paradise Lost I have a question that is bothering me. Toward the beginning of the film after Pam Hobbs screams and falls after being told the boys are dead there is a man kneeled by a car smoking. Is this Terry Hobbs? This man's reaction really bothers me because he looks more worried about something rather than upset about the boys bodies found. Can anyone varify who that was?

That was Terry Hobbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdw1981 View Post
    Ok, if you've watched Paradise Lost I have a question that is bothering me. Toward the beginning of the film after Pam Hobbs screams and falls after being told the boys are dead there is a man kneeled by a car smoking. Is this Terry Hobbs? This man's reaction really bothers me because he looks more worried about something rather than upset about the boys bodies found. Can anyone varify who that was?
    Thank you so much for posting this, as I noticed the same thing and meant to ask everyone. He was shaking so badly while trying to light his cigarette and I also thought he looked worried and scared.

Yep,that's Terry Hobbs and yes,isn't it telling that instead of consoling his grief stricken wife,he's trying to light a cigarette? He does look nervous.
    Also memorable to me the look on his face at Jessie's trial when Jessie is found guilty,the way he swallows air in almost disbelief.Does not look like someone to me who thinks justice was served.
    And his strange nervous laughter at inappropriate times.

I just loved the clip in Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory when he's talking about depositions and basically says, with that sickening nervous laugh, something along the lines of having had enough of depositions. I'll just bet he has! D'Leslie Davis especially, IMO, made mincemeat of him at the Pasdar deposition. The other attorneys got in some good shots, but I thought Ms. Davis was especially good. And it was all even more rewarding because Terry's misogynistic feelings were on display for everyone to see.

The amused giggle he gives when asked about shooting Jackie Hicks Jr. is another "great" Hobbs moment. Not to mention the complete non sequitur of a reply when asked why is that funny - "oh, you just get tired of being asked about it." When I'm tired of being asked about something I roll my eyes, I don't burst out laughing.

Thanks for answering that question. I'm local (not confirmed) but I was 12 when the murders happened. It was hard to recognize a younger Hobbs. That man creeps me out!

That footage was not shot by the PL team but by local news crews.

Furthermore, I seem to remember from watching archived news footage, that he ducked by the police car to light his cigarette before approaching the police line? I know he had a cigarette on the go as he helped Steve Branch when Pam Hicks (formerly Hobbs) collapsed.

It fascinates me how so many are now 'creeped out' by any footage of him when they never were before the release of the DNA findings on the ligature. Had we had a cut-away shot of any other famly member trying to compose themselves and lighting a cigarette in that horrible moment right before when they know they are about to get very bad news it would not be perceived as 'creepy' or as a 'tell'.

We need to be careful that we do not fall in to the same trap that engulfed the community of West Memphis after the arrests of the three. But it is hard, given all that we now know about the man!

Miranda

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda! View Post
    That footage was not shot by the PL team but by local news crews.

Furthermore, I seem to remember from watching archived news footage, that he ducked by the police car to light his cigarette before approaching the police line? I know he had a cigarette on the go as he helped Steve Branch when Pam Hicks (formerly Hobbs) collapsed.

It fascinates me how so many are now 'creeped out' by any footage of him when they never were before the release of the DNA findings on the ligature. Had we had a cut-away shot of any other famly member trying to compose themselves and lighting a cigarette in that horrible moment right before when they know they are about to get very bad news it would not be perceived as 'creepy' or as a 'tell'.

We need to be careful that we do not fall in to the same trap that engulfed the community of West Memphis after the arrests of the three. But it is hard, given all that we now know about the man!

Miranda
    sometimes hindsight is 20/20. i don't recall ever seeing the footage of him trying to light the cigarette behind the squad car before PL3. i remember seeing Pam's collapse in an earlier PL, but it seemed like it was from a different angle. i did find it strange upon seeing it the first time, that TH had such a loose hold around his wife that he let her fall through his arms to the ground. he looked shocked by her collapse to me, he seemed to have quite the casual reaction for a parent or even a step-parent.
    also, can i say that TH was so quiet during the trial and the filming of PL 1 & 2 that he really was under the radar. the focus was trained on the stories making all the noise and that was JMB, and the trials themselves.
    yes, JMBs behavior was suspect because it was so downright melodramatic and bombastic with a heavy dose of instability. he demanded attention. the trials demanded attention. what that did mean was, not necessarily that JMB was guilty of the boy's murders, but certainly that there was definitely something else going on there and perhaps, just perhaps, there should have be a closer look at the parents. which, of course, was grounds for doubting everything about this case.
    Hinky Dinky Parlez Vous!-Sleuthy Gal