McDonald's drops use of gooey ammonia-based 'pink slime' in hamburger meat

mysticrose

The key to change... is to let go of fear
Reaction score
McDonald's drops use of gooey ammonia-based 'pink slime' in hamburger meat

McDonald's confirmed that it has eliminated the use of ammonium hydroxide — an ingredient in fertilizers, household cleaners and some roll-your-own explosives — in its hamburger meat.

The company denied that its decision was influenced by a months-long campaign by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver to get ammonium-hydroxide-treated meats like chicken and beef out of the U.S. food supply. But it acknowledged this week that it had stopped using the unappetizing pink goo — made from treating otherwise inedible scrap meat with the chemical — several months ago.

Besides being used as a household cleaner and in fertilizers, the compound releases flammable vapors, and with the addition of certain acids, it can be turned into ammonium nitrate, a common component in homemade bombs. It's also widely used in the food industry as an anti-microbial agent in meats and as a leavener in bread and cake products. It's regulated by the U.S. Agriculture Department, which classifies it as "generally recognized as safe."

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has a video towards the bottom of this article, if you don't get grossed out to easy you should watch it.

I'm ready to start buying all our meat from my local farmers, this is just disgusting.......

[video=youtube;wshlnRWnf30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30&feature=player_embedded[/video]

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/09/13...abc-news-for-1-2-billon-in-damages/?hpt=hp_t3

September 13th, 2012
02:00 PM ET

'Pink slime' manufacturer sues ABC News for $1.2 billion in damages

Beef Products Inc. announced Thursday that the company has filed a $1.2 billion lawsuit against ABC News, three reporters (Diane Sawyer, Jim Avila and David Kerley) and others, claiming damages as a result of their reports on BPI's lean finely textured beef product (LFTB) more colloquially known as "pink slime."

"There has to be some consequences for news organizations to be more truthful," stated Beef Products Inc. founder Eldon Roth in a video extolling the virtues of the product and outlining the company's case against the news outlet. "They hurt real people, and a lot of people."

ABC News was just one of many media outlets reporting on the controversial product earlier this year, but BPI has focused in on the media giant for what it calls a "concerted disinformation campaign" against LFTB.

Dan Webb, the company's lawyer, wrote in a public statement, “Through nearly 200 false, misleading and defamatory statements, repeated continuously during a month-long disinformation campaign, ABC and other individuals knowingly misled consumers into believing that LFTB was not beef and not safe for public consumption, which is completely false.”...

So it's ABC's fault that they manufacture something that most people find really gross? :rolleyes:

It may have been gross.. but my husband worked at BPI for 2 yrs at the waterloo Iowa plant. without that job to get us through while we were both in school who knows what the future may have held for us and our children.
The loss of all those jobs was devastating. Thankfully hubby already graduated from college and moved into his career, but there were so many people who had their jobs at BPI to support their families, when they closed it was really sad for everyone :(

It may have been gross.. but my husband worked at BPI for 2 yrs at the waterloo Iowa plant. without that job to get us through while we were both in school who knows what the future may have held for us and our children.
The loss of all those jobs was devastating. Thankfully hubby already graduated from college and moved into his career, but there were so many people who had their jobs at BPI to support their families, when they closed it was really sad for everyone :(

I agree that the loss of jobs sucks, but the product being made was unpopular.

I was personally horrified when I learned about pink slime. I felt betrayed and stupid that as a consumer I had no flipping idea. I have since become quite the food snob. I buy local, fresh and organic. I can homegrown veggies for winter. It sickens me to think of the CRAP they put in food and don't tell anyone.

I feel bad about anyone losing a job, but come on...surely you can understand the public feeling duped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was personally horrified when I learned about pink slime. I felt betrayed and stupid that as a consumer I had no flipping idea. I have since become quite the food snob. I buy local, fresh and organic. I can homegrown veggies for winter. It sickens me to think of the CRAP they put in food and don't tell anyone.

I feel bad about anyone losing a job, but come on...surely you can understand the public feeling duped?

Calling it finely textured beef is the kicker.

LOL i agree it was kinda gross and should have been packaged showing what it was and how it was processed, I never felt misled because I knew exactly what it was and who sold it (taco bell Mcdonalds etc plus i found out how much metal was actually in the stuff too, hubby said the metal detectors went off ALL the time) because hubby came home and told me. Never stopped me from ordering my favorite fast food though lol :)

I just wanted to express that even though BPI wasn't forthcoming about everything.. the jobs there kept many families fed and clothed, including mine :)

this probably explains why i have a reaction after i eat at mcdonald's.

I have no problem eating ground up beef parts of any kind. Seriously.
It's the additives we put in food to increase shelf life (or whatever other purpose) that freaks me out.

What makes me panic even more is companys like Monsanto are messing with our natural food supply (GMO'S for profit) and could change things forever and there is no turning back once you lose nature's seeds. The FDA, for some reason, is allowing all these mutant experiments on our food supply and you probably had some with your breakfast. If we can't stop it, why can't we get a label?
(buying organic does not mean you are not getting GMO's)

It's the additives we put in food to increase shelf life (or whatever other purpose) that freaks me out.

What makes me panic even more is companys like Monsanto are messing with our natural food supply (GMO'S for profit) and could change things forever and there is no turning back once you lose nature's seeds. The FDA, for some reason, is allowing all these mutant experiments on our food supply and you probably had some with your breakfast. If we can't stop it, why can't we get a label?

Agreed.
I keep trying to eat non-Monsanto foods, but it is hard. Recently they signed a deal with Rogers sugar to use GM sugar so I had to start buying organic sugar. Luckily it turned out to be comparable in price and better tasting, but you really have to keep on top of these things. I would say that my family's diet is about 65-75% organic. I need to work on increasing that.

The FDA allows it because of the disturbing connections between the FDA and Monstanto.
imo

Agreed.
I keep trying to eat non-Monsanto foods, but it is hard. Recently they signed a deal with Rogers sugar to use GM sugar so I had to start buying organic sugar. Luckily it turned out to be comparable in price and better tasting, but you really have to keep on top of these things. I would say that my family's diet is about 65-75% organic. I need to work on increasing that.

The FDA allows it because of the disturbing connections between the FDA and Monstanto.
imo

Agreed! Every time I think about it.....SOYLENT GREEN comes to mind

Shivers.......

Agreed! Every time I think about it.....SOYLENT GREEN comes to mind

Shivers.......

I stopped eating meat since the mad cow disaster. Oprah's famous saying ( in her opinion) It stops me cold from eating meat.

Luckily, we have a bunch of places around here that only slaughter local and sell local. It tastes SOOOO much better
then anything grocery bought. Not bad prices either!

Back in the day, they would call the "grafting" and "hybrids".....having some experience there...it's pretty "low-tech".....basically busting up seeds in tumbler...and see which ones grow the best...or are more resistant to whatever...

I get more concerned when additives are involved in food products....

But tasting good always counts ;)

I don't want this goo in my hamburger meat. I really wish I had not heard of this mess!

One thing I have also noticed is that the hamburger meat does not crumble as easily as it used to when I brown it. I always get ground round or ground chuck; depending on what I am making. It browns in little 'strands' and has to be broken up. Maybe it is just me, but I did not used to have to more or less chop it up as it browned!

I don't want this goo in my hamburger meat. I really wish I had not heard of this mess!

One thing I have also noticed is that the hamburger meat does not crumble as easily as it used to when I brown it. I always get ground round or ground chuck; depending on what I am making. It browns in little 'strands' and has to be broken up. Maybe it is just me, but I did not used to have to more or less chop it up as it browned!

Go to your local butcher. Its not just you. I also had been wondering what the heck happened, when I found out about this slime crap I was furious! Now I choose my meat and wait while the butcher grinds it up.....waaaaay better!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back