1063 users online (220 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Gary Mathias, 25, Oroville, 24 Feb 1978

Missing since February 24, 1978 from Yuba County, California
    Classification: Endangered Missing

• Date Of Birth: October 15, 1952
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 170 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
    • Clothing: Street clothes and low cut shoes.
    • Medical: Suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
    • Dentals: Available

Gary was last seen on February 24, 1978. He, along with four others, became lost in a snow storm in the mountains east of Oroville, California.
    The men were part of a program for the mentally challenged and all lived with their families. They were last seen after a Chico State University basketball game, buying snacks at a nearby grocery store. Their car was later located abandoned on a Plumas National Forest road, closed by snow. The car had plenty of gas, but the keys were gone.

The bodies of the other four were located during the search following the disappearance. But Gary was never found.

Gary was discharged from the Army for medical reasons. He had joined the group on their outings just a few months before the disappearance.

Doe Network - http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3509dmca.html

Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mathias_gary.html

cannot find on namus under mathias or matthias.

This is a weird case. Check out what Meghan at The Charley Project has learned

https://charleyross.wordpress.com/20...-four-friends/

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mathias_gary.html

So bizarre that 5 guys would go missing in the snow with 4 found after the thaw in an area with plenty of food and ways to stay warm. Only Gary Mathias was never found.

This is what I get out of this bizarre case:
    1) 5 disabled men get lost and seek shelter in the trailer, one of them gets seriously ill and the ones with military training try to nurse him back to health (why he was found in bed and there was evidence of military tools opening food cans) when he dies the others try to seek help and surcome to the elements; maybe they made plans to celebrate/party and got lost. "Let's go to that spot where I go hunting/fishing with my dad" or maybe they were invited somewhere by someone at the game. Where ever they were heading I think it was last minute plans.

2)Someone took advantage of their vulnerabilities. I'm seeing 5 disabled men being tricked and pranked by some jerk. Maybe they lead them to the trailer in the rouse of being invited to a party and they ditched them there as a joke not realizing the fatality of their action. Could they have walked the 20 miles to the trailer (hours walk) in just their street clothes? Or did someone take them there? Maybe the frostbitten feet occurred by walking around the trailer trying to find help. There was an unknown watch found at the scene and there was a sighting of them with an unknown woman. Could the women been in on it? I see 5 disabled men being extra vulnerable to a woman. Maybe they were following someone else in another vehicle that lead them to that area.

I'm questioning outside involvement or was it just a case of getting lost and surcoming to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    This is what I get out of this bizarre case:
    1) 5 disabled men get lost and seek shelter in the trailer, one of them gets seriously ill and the ones with military training try to nurse him back to health (why he was found in bed and there was evidence of military tools opening food cans) when he dies the others try to seek help and surcome to the elements; maybe they made plans to celebrate/party and got lost. "Let's go to that spot where I go hunting/fishing with my dad" or maybe they were invited somewhere by someone at the game. Where ever they were heading I think it was last minute plans.

2)Someone took advantage of their vulnerabilities. I'm seeing 5 disabled men being tricked and pranked by some jerk. Maybe they lead them to the trailer in the rouse of being invited to a party and they ditched them there as a joke not realizing the fatality of their action. Could they have walked the 20 miles to the trailer (hours walk) in just their street clothes? Or did someone take them there? Maybe the frostbitten feet occurred by walking around the trailer trying to find help. There was an unknown watch found at the scene and there was a sighting of them with an unknown woman. Could the women been in on it? I see 5 disabled men being extra vulnerable to a woman. Maybe they were following someone else in another vehicle that lead them to that area.

I'm questioning outside involvement or was it just a case of getting lost and surcoming to the elements.
    I was under the impression the men were not that disabled. The group they were apart of was for men having trouble with employment of I remember correctly. All of them graduated high school and had jobs or were in the military at some point which I would think indicates they were somewhat high functioning. Mathias mental disability was schizophrenia and he was medicated and had not had an incident in over two years according to his dad and doctor. I think they were probably not obviously disabled