658 users online (69 members and 589 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 430
  1. #1

    Upcoming Trial - 2012

    This is a continuation of this thread that is now closed: Trial Delayed until at least January - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community


    Please read these forum guidelines and THANK THE POST so I know you've read them. Yes, I can tell who has visited this thread and so need to know who stopped long enough to read this post.

    There will be zero tolerance to anyone posting negatively about another member on Websleuths. You will lose your posting privileges for the time deemed fit by the moderators. This has been requested time and time again in every nice way possible and yet, the issue continues.

    If there is another poster who just drives you nuts, run to this link and read about what you can do about the problem: Best Practices Dealing with your fellow posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community


    We have many members who use the Ignore Feature and the feedback has been wonderful! Try it and if you don't like it, you can always put your settings right back where they were in the first place.

    and don't forget to thank the post!
    Last edited by KateB; 06-21-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Madeleine74's Avatar
    Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,272
    Continuing from the prior thread...

    My Belle: What the jurors did hear was descriptions of him as a good, caring father. No evidence he inflicted child abuse or that he wanted his child dead.
    He didn't hate his child, and he didn't want his child dead. If he did, he would have killed her. Had CY been older and more verbal, given the same circumstances of the crime, she may well have been murdered too (a la Jeffrey MacDonald).

    What the jurors did hear were descriptions of him as a selfish, cheating, jackarse husband, son in law, friend, fiance, etc.

    As a father he was an arse. He kept his daughter from seeing her maternal aunt and grandmother --people she dearly loved. He didn't bother to do anything to retain custody of his daughter. He testified he couldn't afford the fight the WDS and that's why he never responded to the subpoena. But we know that's not true as his mom very easily and quickly came up with $900K to get him out of jail, so like all things with him and his family, it came down to priorities. It was more important for him to keep quiet and not ever be questioned until he had to, than to fight for his daughter. And why did he lie about the money being the reason he couldn't respond to the WDS? It wasn't the reason at all.

    As for his attack on GC, a 'spat' doesn't leave a woman with bruises. A 'spat' is not a man attacking a woman or hurting her. That is an insult to what CG experienced. JY was abusive and that's in evidence. Whether CG was immature or mature is not relevent. JY physically attacked CG. That is in evidence and does demonstrate some of what JY is capable of.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    116
    I thought his mom came up with property deeds to secure the bond. Pledging property, because you believe the accused will show up for trial, is very different from coming up with cash to defend a civil suit (with the probability of a criminal trial just behind it).

    If I were in trouble, I wouldn't feel bad asking my loved ones to put up property for my bond - i know I would never make a run for it so they'd never be at risk of losing their property. But, I would never ask them to liquidate the only assets they have to pay for my defense - money they'd likely never see again.

    Please know I'm not taking a stand on his failure to try to defend himself in the civil suit, but I've seen comments about the bond "money" a couple of times. If I'm wrong, and mom had the cash for the bond, then I apologize in advance! But, if it was property/deeds, it seems as if it's being mischaracterized.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl48 View Post
    I thought his mom came up with property deeds to secure the bond. Pledging property, because you believe the accused will show up for trial, is very different from coming up with cash to defend a civil suit (with the probability of a criminal trial just behind it).

    If I were in trouble, I wouldn't feel bad asking my loved ones to put up property for my bond - i know I would never make a run for it so they'd never be at risk of losing their property. But, I would never ask them to liquidate the only assets they have to pay for my defense - money they'd likely never see again.

    Please know I'm not taking a stand on his failure to try to defend himself in the civil suit, but I've seen comments about the bond "money" a couple of times. If I'm wrong, and mom had the cash for the bond, then I apologize in advance! But, if it was property/deeds, it seems as if it's being mischaracterized.
    I think you misunderstood.
    The bond was $900,000.

    We are talking about paying a domestic lawyer to respond to a custody case. The Fisher's never asked for full custody, only visitation. What did he do, he just signed her over. It was not about money...the lawyer would have cost $5000. It was about giving a deposition to answer the complaint.

    As for the WD suit, the cost to answer and show up in civil court was not going to break the bank. He traded not being deposed about the murder for a $15,500,000 civil judgement and being tagged for life, the slayer.

    Tell me, would you have done that?

  5. #5
    Madeleine74's Avatar
    Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,272
    If I were innocent, nothing would stop me from showing up and telling my story, which would be the truth and you're right--it costs very little to show up and take a deposition. He absolutely had enough money.

    However....if I were guilty of brutally murdering my spouse and I was trying to CYA any which way I could think of, I would have done the same thing to try and prevent an arrest and would keep my mouth shut and allow a suit to default.

    He had (and has) no intention of paying one cent towards it anyway, so that fact that he gets a slayer label and is $15.5M in the hole is of no real consequence to him because he cares about neither.

    And let's be clear about something else. He also never attempted to collect on that $1M life insurance policy. And that would have cost him $0 to file. Maybe it would be $.40, the cost of a stamp at that time. What innocent spouse does not bother to file for their rightful, legal insurance claim? All it would take would be him giving a deposition for the insurance company.... oh... whooops. No, can't do that! A deposition would legally expose him and he couldn't take that chance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,911
    Jury selection complete in Jason Young retrial

    eight women and four men

    http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...tory/10676540/
    Last edited by Just the Fax; 02-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the Fax View Post
    Jury selection complete in Jason Young retrial

    eight women and four men

    http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...tory/10676540/

    I could not get the link to work, will try again in a moment.
    Do you recall the gender make-up of the last jury, male vs female?
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
    I could not get the link to work, will try again in a moment.
    Do you recall the gender make-up of the last jury, male vs female?
    http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...tory/10676540/


    7 women / 5 men last time

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the Fax View Post
    I think you misunderstood.
    The bond was $900,000.

    We are talking about paying a domestic lawyer to respond to a custody case. The Fisher's never asked for full custody, only visitation. What did he do, he just signed her over. It was not about money...the lawyer would have cost $5000. It was about giving a deposition to answer the complaint.

    As for the WD suit, the cost to answer and show up in civil court was not going to break the bank. He traded not being deposed about the murder for a $15,500,000 civil judgement and being tagged for life, the slayer.

    Tell me, would you have done that?
    I don't think I misunderstood, but I do think my post was misunderstood!

    I completely agree that his motivations for not participating in the civil trial were pretty transparent ... Same for not filing the insurance claim.

    Im just trying to say that it's not really fair to assume his parents had the money to foot an expensive defense just because he made bond. You can get 5 (or 100) people to pledge property to secure a bond - it doesn't cost them a penny if the defendant shows up as required. That's very different from coming up with cash .... As many people who have tried to sell property in the last few years have learned.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl48 View Post
    I don't think I misunderstood, but I do think my post was misunderstood!

    I completely agree that his motivations for not participating in the civil trial were pretty transparent ... Same for not filing the insurance claim.

    Im just trying to say that it's not really fair to assume his parents had the money to foot an expensive defense just because he made bond. You can get 5 (or 100) people to pledge property to secure a bond - it doesn't cost them a penny if the defendant shows up as required. That's very different from coming up with cash .... As many people who have tried to sell property in the last few years have learned.
    Jay had more than enough money to hire a lawyer to keep his daughter and avoid a $15.5MM judgement.
    He had at least $40,000 in a 401-k.

    What would you do?
    Pay the penalty and tax, or just ignore - give away your only daughter and owe $15,500,000


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the Fax View Post
    Thank you. Pretty much the same as last time. Again, my memory is failing me but wasn't the jury foreperson a male in the first trial?
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
    Thank you. Pretty much the same as last time. Again, my memory is failing me but wasn't the jury foreperson a male in the first trial?
    Yes, the foreman was male - George DeMartz (name published in news)

    http://www.premiere-inc.com/our-staff/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the Fax View Post
    Jay had more than enough money to hire a lawyer to keep his daughter and avoid a $15.5MM judgement.
    He had at least $40,000 in a 401-k.

    What would you do?
    Pay the penalty and tax, or just ignore - give away your only daughter and owe $15,500,000
    When JY moved back to Brevard after the murder, there was plenty enough money for his mom, CY, and him to take several expensive trips.
    When JY lost his jobs and was expelled from nursing school, who do you think supported him when he had no money coming in? The man was completely unhirable.

    I'm still appalled at the fact the JY's family defended him from day one, and they were very vocal about his innocence. However, when it came time to pay a lawyer, his family didn't put their money where their mouths were because they let the NC taxpayers foot that bill, and we still are.

    JY's mother owned over 1MM dollars worth of land outright, but she couldn't find it in her greedy heart to pay for son's defense. It makes me sick to think my tax money could be going towards his defense.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,098
    His mother wouldn't have had to sell any property, merely take out a loan on a portion of it's value. That being said, JLY wasn't a pauper himself. He certainly could have footed the retainer for a custody lawyer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    Continuing from the prior thread...

    He didn't hate his child, and he didn't want his child dead. If he did, he would have killed her. Had CY been older and more verbal, given the same circumstances of the crime, she may well have been murdered too (a la Jeffrey MacDonald).

    What the jurors did hear were descriptions of him as a selfish, cheating, jackarse husband, son in law, friend, fiance, etc.

    As a father he was an arse. He kept his daughter from seeing her maternal aunt and grandmother --people she dearly loved. He didn't bother to do anything to retain custody of his daughter. He testified he couldn't afford the fight the WDS and that's why he never responded to the subpoena. But we know that's not true as his mom very easily and quickly came up with $900K to get him out of jail, so like all things with him and his family, it came down to priorities. It was more important for him to keep quiet and not ever be questioned until he had to, than to fight for his daughter. And why did he lie about the money being the reason he couldn't respond to the WDS? It wasn't the reason at all.

    As for his attack on GC, a 'spat' doesn't leave a woman with bruises. A 'spat' is not a man attacking a woman or hurting her. That is an insult to what CG experienced. JY was abusive and that's in evidence. Whether CG was immature or mature is not relevent. JY physically attacked CG. That is in evidence and does demonstrate some of what JY is capable of.
    I have to disagree regarding Jason's financial situation. His grandmother passed away after his wife was murdered and that may have altered his mother's financial assets. We don't know if that was before or after the custody hearing. Also, it seems to me that various properties were used for bail. I don't believe that it is reasonable to expect a suspect's mother and stepfather to liquidate their assets because of a child. In fact, it is recommended that parents do not hand money over to children in financial difficulties as it doesn't solve the problem.

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. trial thread: 4/30/2012
    By nursebeeme in forum Gabriel Johnson
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
  2. Trial Thread 4/11/2012
    By nursebeeme in forum Victoria Stafford
    Replies: 544
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:09 AM
  3. Trial Thread 4/10/2012
    By nursebeeme in forum Victoria Stafford
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
  4. Trial Thread 4/4/2012
    By nursebeeme in forum Victoria Stafford
    Replies: 600
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 04:03 AM

Tags for this Thread