UT UT - Mary Katherine Miller, 47, Provo, 20 June 1979

fourboys

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelsmissing.com
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...ear-old-cold-case/d64vXFTY4ES7kOuCJX98CA.cspx

30 year old cold case

Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 1/06 9:12 am
11N.gif
12S.gif
14N.gif
16N.gif

Print Story | ShareThis

UTAH COUNTY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Kelly Miller last saw her mother Mary Katherine Miller 30 years ago. On June 20, 1979 they had dinner together a Price's Ice Cream Shop in Provo.

They'd recently learned that Kelly's father -- Mary Katherine's ex-husband -- had died the previous year. Kelly said he mother was upset that no one had bothered to notify them and that she wanted to go find the grave in the American Fork City Cemetery.

When her mother left that evening, Kelly believes she first went to the cemetery and then headed up American Fork Canyon for a drive along the Alpine Loop.

Nearly three weeks later, authorities found her car -- a 1978 brown Honda Civic -- beyond the Timpooneke campground on the back side of Mount Timpanogos. It was actually hidden near a sheep herder's camp. One of the men in that camp is now considered a "person of interest."

That man allegedly told his boss the car belonged to a woman who got it stuck on a rough, rocky dirt road. He allegedly told a friend that the woman had loaned him the car and he was going to drive it down to the Navajo Reservation in the four corners area. And when investigators tracked him down years later, during a polygraph test he told them the woman walked away from the car in a red robe. But that robe was found by investigators in the back seat of the car. Lt. Dennis Harris of the Utah County Sheriff's office said, "My question is ... did she take the red robe off and put it in the car and then walk out?" Along with the robe, investigators also found in the car her purse, wallet and keys.

Lt. Harris believes Mary Katherine Miller met with foul play. Not only did a two day search by the Sheriff's Jeep Patrol fail to turn up any trace, but 30 years of hunters, campers and hikers in the popular recreation area failed to turn up anything. "In my heart I hope we will be able to find something," he said.

He will not be alone. Since the Sheriff reopened the cold case in 2003, the Attorney General's office has also agreed to help.

The stories about Susan Powell, a missing mother from West Valley, have stirred up emotions in Kelly Miller. She said, "I am praying for the people who are waiting to find her because I know sometimes it can be a lifetime."

30 years seems like a lifetime to Kelly who still has no idea what became of her mother. "This was a wonderful woman, a very intelligent woman who put herself through nursing school at BYU and worked as a registered nurse for 20 years," she remembered through tears. "And she just vanished. And I'm sorry, but it is still hard. Even after 30 years, it is still hard."

This spring Lt. Harris plans to organize still more searches of the area where Mary Katherine Miller's car was found. He also hopes to administer another polygraph test to his person of interest. The first test was inconclusive.

If you have any information on the disappearance of Mary Katherine Miller, call the Utah County Sheriff's Office: (801) 404-1919.

Wow, 30 years of not knowing....... that's heartwrenching.

I wish all the missing would be found and their loved ones minds at least put to rest knowing at least their fate. I can't begin to imagine the torment this would bring to ones life.

With no bodies being located around the area, sounds as if she vanished. Makes you wonder, since there has been no other articles since 2006 there must be nothing new.

I went thru lists of unidentifieds and found some that could be but location and dates don't work. I'll have to call the Sheriff's office and see what information they will tell.

First I am going to cross reference what I found with the Namus data base.

Mary Miller
Age went missing: 47
Missing since: June 20, 1979
Last known location: Mount Timpanogos
Miller’s case has baffled Harris. For more than 30 years, Miller has been missing. Harris said his last goal as an officer is to bring peace to Miller’s family.

“I can’t think of a night where I didn’t think of Miller before I went to bed,” he said.

Harris said he’s certain Miller has since passed away, but he would like to bring some closure to the family.

55666ccfae894.image.jpg

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...ion_0a6d0214-b31f-5704-bdb8-d7f1e5d7bf67.html

an article from 2004:

Miller is one of four women who have been reported missing from Utah County communities since 1979, and whose disappearances remain unexplained. They are the kinds of cases that keep detectives awake at night.

Pamela Page of Springville vanished while jogging in April 1984; Peggy Sue Case of Spanish Fork disappeared in July 1988; and Kiplyn Davis of Spanish Fork never came home from school on May 2, 1995.

Of the three cases, only Page's body has been found.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/sti...cle_d452ddb8-da7e-53dd-b4b9-0106bf4405b4.html

Demographics
Missing Age46 Years
Current Age87 Years
First NameMary
Middle NameKatherine
Last NameMiller
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 5" - 5' 7" (65 - 67 Inches)
Weight140 - 150 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactJune 20, 1979
NamUs Case CreatedApril 14, 2009
Last Known Location Map
LocationPROVO, Utah
CountyUtah County

Circumstances of DisappearanceMARY MILLER WAS REPORTED MISSING ON JUNE 20, 1979. on July 16, a man and his wife riding a motorcycle came across her mother's late-model Honda Civic on a remote dirt road leading from the Timpooneke Trail Head on Mount Timpanogos. They found her purse, keys and identification in the car.
Physical Description
Hair ColorGray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorHazel
Right Eye ColorHazel

C/O

upload_2019-11-20_9-12-51.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

July 18, 1979, The Daily Herald (Provo, UT), pg 2
1678911229303.png

July 19, 1979, The Daily Herald (Provo, UT), pg 1
1678911298974.png

22 July 1979, The Daily Herald (Provo, UT), pg 4
1678911337654.png

14 November 2004, The Daily Herald (Provo, UT), pg 1 and 7
1678911527538.png
1678911507479.png

Mary was mentioned as a possible match to UP355 in 2011, but I'm unsure if she was ever submitted. She's not on either rule out list.

1678912626246.png1678912643917.png

They also have similar dentals.

Mary: bridge on her upper front teeth.

Doe: Maxillary partial denture-cast gold. Replace 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12. Precision attachments placed for intercoronal attachments to #4, 11, 14 crowns. Mandibular partial denture-cast gold. Replace 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31. Precision intercoronal attachments for bicuspid position on right & left. Abutment attachment to partial teeth #21, 22, 27, 28.

June 26, 2002

sbm, I bolded a few interesting things

<<Her car wasn't in the driveway. Her purse wasn't anywhere in the house. All her clothes were gone. And so was Mary Kathryn Miller.

"In her crockpot, she had lentils cooking," Sally Harding said.

Harding went to check on her lifelong friend after noticing broken window glass on the Provo woman's front porch hadn't been removed for several days. She suggested the family call the authorities.

Kelly Miller reported her 46-year-old mother missing July 5, 1979. She told Provo police she hadn't seen her for about two weeks, according to a police report. Several telephone calls and visits going back to about June 20 had gone unanswered. Checks with known friends yielded nothing.

Though Mary Miller, a public health nurse, had a history of psychological problems, her daughter told police it was unlike her to run off. Kelly Miller's roommates at Brigham Young University received phone calls from someone they thought was Mary Miller but weren't able to get the caller to identify herself.

Mary Miller's brown Honda CVCC was discovered in American Fork Canyon on the back side of Mount Timpanogos, but not in the place she apparently left it. A couple of sheepherders admitted to driving the car. They told police they did see a woman dancing nude in a meadow.

That, apparently, was the last time anyone saw Mary Kathryn Miller.>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back