905 users online (176 members and 729 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stolen Babies

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/adopti...ry?id=15484447

This is such a sad story. While I have empathy for the natural mother from Guatamala and understand her wanting her son, the boy is now 5 yr old, cannot speak her language, knows only US culture, and has two loving parents who in good faith adopted him. My guess is the courts are going to return this child to her, and he, along with the mother, will be returned to Guatamala.

There are 5100 children in 22 states that could be in such adoption limbo.

are you a parent? I could not imagine my kids being taken from me and adopted out to someone, while I feel for the adoptive parents, he is not their son. It wasn't like she gave him up on her own accord.

IN THE INTEREST OF THIS CHILD - the ideal situation would be for both, the adoptive parents and natural mother to be actively involved in the continued parenting of this child. I pray they can all work something out for the best benefit of this child. JMO~

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    I don't think it's fair that her rights as a parent were terminated. I don't understand how her child can be taken from her and this is considered legal.

However, in the best interest of the child, I don't think he should be removed from the home he has grown up in and with the people he considers his parents. It would detrimental to him and could have serious repurcussions. That is something he may never recover from emotionally. The feeling of abandonment can change a child forever, even if the parents didn't do it of their own free will.

Maybe his biological mother shouldn't have come here illegally, then this never would have happened. When you're a parent, you need to put your children first. If you commit a crime, you have to suffer the consequences. I do feel for her but she put herself in this position.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

but how do we know it will be detrimental?

I think they both should be involved and over time, then be back with his bio mother.

but I am guessing, if they have the means to adopt and since she came here illegally, who will have the better lawyer....

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
    but how do we know it will be detrimental?

I think they both should be involved and over time, then be back with his bio mother.
    You don't think that taking a child away from his parents, the ones who have raised him for five years, could scar a child?? Seriously??

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

but I am guessing, if they have the means to adopt and since she came here illegally, who will have the better lawyer....
    RBBM

And thank God for that.

Justice for Travis

I'm not sure I understand all the details of this story, so maybe I'm misinterpreting.

It sounds like the identity theft charges stem from the illegal immigrant thing, like she used someone's SS# or something to work. Why would our government, who is supposed to be getting rid of the illegal immigrants, want to lock them up and support them in prison over something this stupid? Mother and son should have been immediately deported back to their home country.

But what's done is done, and IMO the only way to work this out for the best interest of the child is to grant the mother legal status and give joint custody to her and the adopted parents. Fair or not, it is not in the best interest of the child to take him from the only family he has ever really known and give him to what to him is essentially a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
    You don't think that taking a child away from his parents, the ones who have raised him for five years, could scar a child?? Seriously??
    seriously? if you rip him from their arms - of course, but if it was something gradual that happened over time with both parties being involved......

now it seems there is much more to this story - the media seemed to gloss over all the gory details.

seriously? if you rip him from their arms - of course, but if it was something gradual that happened over time with both parties being involved......

now it seems there is much more to this story - the media seemed to gloss over all the gory details.
    But why should the adoptive parents have to suffer because of the criminal act the bio mom committed? If she wouldn't have done what she did, she wouldn't be dealing with any of this right now.

ETA: If you commit a crime, you run the risk of losing your children. She should have considered that fact.

Justice for Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
    RBBM

And thank God for that.
    Why? Can you explain this remark a little more?
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

There is a lot of not so subtle racism and classism in that article. Insinuations that the child would automatically be better off here in the US than in Guatemala, etc.

Being undocumented doesn't make one an unfit parent. This woman was working what sounds like a not very pleasant job, to provide for herself and her child, when she was arrested. Then separated from that child by an unmerciful government for no good reason at all.

I don't know how to solve a mess like this. This child is now bonded with the adoptive parents, but that should not mean that his mother has no rights at all, but what will happen to him if he is taken from the only family he has ever known? A gradual turnover to the mother seems the best way to handle it. What a horrendous thing done to this poor woman and child.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Why? Can you explain this remark a little more?
    I would be glad if they had the better lawyer because then they would be more likely to win. I feel that the child should stay with the adoptive parents.

Justice for Travis

I really wish that both the adoptive parents and the biological mother could work something out that would be best for the little boy? Like him staying with the adoptive parents here in the United States with the promise that the adoptive parents would bring the boy to Guatamala to see his family and connect with his culture?

If that cannot be done, I don't really believe that there is any question? The boy should be given back to the biological mother? I don't care if the mother was here illegally, you cannot just take someones child from them like that? I cannot believe it is even legal? Why weren't family in Guatamala not called in to take the child while they detained the mother? They just stripped her of all her parental rights and placed the boy up for adoption? Horrible!

I feel awful for the adoptive parents, but unless they can work something out, the boy should be given back to his biological mother and returned to Guatamala. No question.
    Justice for Trayvon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast