AZ - Lawrence, 79, & Glenna Shapiro, 77, murdered, Paradise Valley, 30 Jan 2012

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
(snip)
Lawrence and Glenna celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2010, the same year they founded a charitable organization, the Lawrence and Glenna Shapiro Family Foundation.
They have three children: Susan, of Los Angeles, and twin sons David and Steven, of Salt Lake City.

Police went to the Shapiro home Monday morning after Phoenix police alerted them that a burning vehicle near Seventh Street and Union Hills Drive was found registered to the Shapiros' address. An officer saw smoke coming from the home and called the fire department. Phoenix firefighters entered the home and found the bodies of two people.
Paradise Valley police were still at the scene Tuesday, blocking De Los Circle with a squad car. Police tape surrounded the house, as police officers went in and out.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/...hocked-saddened-by-tragedy.html#ixzz1lEYDNvA1

This is so odd. This is the third wealthy, older couple that have both been found murdered around the country in recent months, or weeks? One couple in Massachusetts and one in Florida. What the heck is going on?

I'm sure they're not related in any way, but such a creepy coincidence. :(

JMHO
fran

Who hated these people so much?

Omg, someone really had it out for this poor couple. How horrible for their family.

Photo captures burned car of murdered PV couple
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Photo-...urdered-Paradise-Valley-couple-138541504.html

(snip)
They're searching for an arsonist and a killer who bound Glenna and Lawrence Shapiro, set them on fire and left them for dead. Today we learned he fire was set in two bedrooms on opposite sides of their home.

"The crime scene investigation revealed both victims were found on the master bedroom and had been bound. It appears the fire was started in two areas of the home, including the master bedroom," Bennett said.

I'm not sure why the secret service is involved. But this doctor's clinics served medical needs for 45% of medicare or medical patient's needs in their service area (not sure of the %, but somewhat. it's in at least one of the provided links). So, he MAY have some powerful connections.

Anyway, by all accounts from what I'd read earlier, this couple was well loved and respected by many people. It's really frightening to see how someone can have everything, and in an instant it's gone, because you've met an untimely death. :(

My deepest condolences to the Shapiro family and friends. They all must be in total disbelief.

JMHO
fran

Slain Arizona couple were parents to Salt Lake defense attorneys
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53432730-78/shapiro-family-couple-parents.html.csp

(snip)
The Shapiros are the parents of David and Steven Shapiro, who have practiced law in Utah for nearly two decades.
Steven Shapiro said the family was first notified by some of his parents’ neighbors about what had happened.
"We were frequently together," Steven Shapiro said of his parents during a phone interview. "They had a home in Salt Lake and were frequently in town to visit their grandchildren. We were in touch often."

Random pondering: What did someone have to gain for this aweful crime? The binding and burning makes it seem personal. Was it a robbery? Did the fire destroy the home to the point of destroying all evidence? I wonder whether they had valuable art, collectables or jewelry at the home? Wonder whether they had received any threats? Any patient of the Doc lose a civil suit or family member and want to "get even"? Any angry former business partner? Sure hope the investigators can determine the why and who and bring justice for this couple.

I just read about this crime today - and WOW! What a horrible, horrible crime. I hope that they can find out who did this quickly. I cannot imagine why.

My guess is a robbery. Probably someone known to the victims, but not someone close. Wanted to get rid of evidence and witnesses at the same time.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...aradise-valley-couple-killed-arrests-brk.html

Arrests have been made but they're not releasing any information.

Not all crimes affect me, but this one did. What a beautiful, elegant couple.

Isn't it true that some cases affect us. Bless you BrownRice.

From your link:

"In order to protect the integrity of the investigation, we have not made any further press releases. When the time is appropriate, a press briefing or press release will be made available to all media members. The time frame at the moment is unknown,'' police Cmdr. Alan Laitsch told The Republic.

LeMarr said, "Absolutely astronomical strides have been made since Monday."

I'm surprised yet pleased that LE MAY have solved this case.

This seemed like a lovely couple who were a great asset to their community and loved by many. I doubt that anyone who knew even the slightest detail that could assist LE in solving this crime, held anything back even for a second. Whoever did this was most likely not prepared for the dogged determination this LE and community embarked on to bring justice for these fine people, ASAP.

Although I'm interested in the motive and WHO, I'll patiently wait until LE has all their i's dotted and t's crossed.

Congrats to this LE organization! Their citizens must be very proud. :clap:

Good job!

fran

Arrests made in killings of couple in Paradise Valley

Arrests have been made in the slayings of two well-known philanthropists earlier this week, sources close to the investigation said Friday.

Officially, authorities were more reticent. Paradise Valley Mayor Scott LeMarr would only say that “significant progress” has been made in the case. And town police officials declined to confirm whether they have anyone is in custody.

more at link ....................http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-ne...ade-in-killings-of-couple-in-paradise-valley/

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Source...-Paradise-Valley-double-murder-138667084.html

(snip)
Neighbors say police told them at least two suspects have been arrested in connection with a double murder in Paradise Valley.

Unnamed sources told 3TV reporter Mike Watkiss that Lawrence and Glenna Shapiro had been shot and stolen evidence from the scene helped investigators trace the suspects to the murders.

The Paradise Valley Police Department has not confirmed that information with 3TV. Police officials said they will not be releasing any further information at this time.

Good news that law enforcement has suspects in custody. I heard on the news report last night that there were security cams where the car was abandonded and hoped they recorded clearly so useful evidence could be obtained.

You know, what happened to just robbing a house when the owners aren't home? Why was murder necessary? With all the charity events this couple were involved in, I'm sure there was plenty of opportunity.

Like the missionary couple in Mexico - people on Earth who apparently focus most of their lives helping others and they end like this.

3 Arrests Made in Shapiro Homicide Case

PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. - Sources tell us police have arrested three people in one of the valley's most shocking crimes: the murder of a Paradise Valley couple in their home.

Two independent sources close to the investigation say that three arrests have been made in connection to the murder of Lawrence and Glenna Shapiro. They were found dead from gunshot wounds in their burning home earlier this week.

The arrests bring relief to those in the community. Residents say they've been taking extra precautions ever since the crime occurred.

"He said we heard there have been three arrested and we know who the rest are," says Carolyn Sorenson, Shapiro family friend. "I am going to sleep tonight because I do feel like they're on top of it."

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/shapiro-homicide-case-02032012

So are they saying that more are going to be arrested? Is this another kind of Billings case?

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back