GUILTY TX - Dana Edwards, 32, murdered in her Alamo Heights home, 1 Jan 2009

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Alamo Heights TX is an affluent, incorporated town within the city of San Antonio.

Defendant's tears called no match for science
Jon Thomas Ford appeared distraught, occasionally crying, as he told a detective three years ago that he didn't know why anybody would target his ex-girlfriend, found brutally murdered in her home just outside Alamo Heights two days earlier.

Dana Clair Edwards, 32, was “a wonderful girl, full of energy, always there for others,” jurors heard Ford say Wednesday as the videotaped interview was played by prosecutors at the outset of his high-profile murder trial.

But underneath the tears, Ford was spinning very calculated lies about his activities and whereabouts that morning, which security footage and cellphone records would unravel, prosecutor Kathy Cunningham said in an opening statement.
---
Another wince-worthy fact of the matter:
Her Jack Russell terrier, Grit, was found dead a week later, thrown over Olmos Dam.
the story, with pictures, at San Antonio Express-News link above

Alamo Heights fun facts: the predominant grocery chain in S.A. is H.E.B. The ritzy one near Alamo Heights is nicknamed "the Gucci B.," and features valet service. Mark of prestige in S.A.: to be "an '09er" - which refers to zip code 78209, which includes Alamo Heights. S.A.'s "Golden Triangle," all incorporated, posh towns within the city: Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, Alamo Heights.

Alamo Heights murder suspect's attorney: Investigation sloppy (kens5.com) w/video

Dana Clair Edwards obituary (legacy.com)

If ever there were a case where an accused murderer could go free based on bad policework and good lawyering, this is that case.

Cell phone ping evidence promises to be very interesting due to defense expert claims.

Excellent job being done at Twitter following the play-by-play of the trial by SA Express-News courthouse beat reporter Craig Kapitan, @HearsaySA

Craig Kapitan @HearsaySA
Prosecutors pass witness. Defense asks if they can "start fresh in the morning." Jury sent home. Testimony resumes at 9:30 Fri. in 186th.
Off to an exciting start.

San Antonio Express-News summary of the day's court proceedings:

Witnesses: Victim noted ex's odd behavior before slaying
One week before Dana Clair Edwards' battered body was found strangled inside her townhome near Alamo Heights, she confided to a friend that ex-boyfriend Jon Thomas Ford had recently spent five hours with her, possibly drunk and at times crying.

“She turned to me and looked me directly in the face and said, ‘I'm concerned how Thomas is doing,'” Melissa Federspill recalled at the second day of testimony in Ford's murder trial.
---
It wouldn't be the last odd encounter involving Ford in days before and after Edwards' death, the witness said.
---
more at link above

wfgodotThanks for all info, very interesting!
You're welcome! Glad you find it so. It's interesting to me because I lived in an adjacent (but totally not affluent) neighborhood in S.A. for eight years. The murder was the last big news story before I moved.

DeGuerin excellent in cross-ex (of course; he's a fine attorney) of Ms. Federspill. Witness rehabilitated well by prosecution. On stand now: Ken Doll. (Can't make this stuff up.) Later: Barbie?? (Also works as in-joke re: Alamo Heights types.)

If ever there were a case where an accused murderer could go free based on bad policework and good lawyering, this is that case.

Cell phone ping evidence promises to be very interesting due to defense expert claims.

Excellent job being done at Twitter following the play-by-play of the trial by SA Express-News courthouse beat reporter Craig Kapitan, @HearsaySA

bbm, another example would be the Gabriel Johnson case, his mother will never pay fully because of SAPD. jmo

bbm, another example would be the Gabriel Johnson case, his mother will never pay fully because of SAPD. jmo
Not sure exactly when SAPD joined this case and whose screw-ups are going to be revealed by the defense; Alamo Heights has its own police force, and at least at the beginning would have been - I think - the lead department investigating the murder. Depends on at what point they called in SAPD for help - as it took a long time for an arrest to be made.

Expect a firm cross-ex by DeGuerin over this point, plus the defense will have its own expert(s) to rebut the matter; one of key points in prosecution case:
Craig Kapitan @HearsaySA
Doll's most important testimony for prosecutors: The cell tower associated with Edwards' home wouldn't have pinged if Ford was at his home.

More pings, key evidence (considering this is at or near the spot where Grit the Jack Russell terrier was tossed away like trash):
Craig Kapitan @HearsaySA
Prosecutor: "At 1:32, if..Ford claims...he is in bed at home asleep, is there any reason why his phone is pinging near the Olmos Dam?" No.

Possible preview of key defense contention:
Craig Kapitan @HearsaySA
DeGuerin keeps asking Doll if he's aware of a problem in Alamo Heights w/misdirected 911 calls. Doll says he knows nothing about it.
Or, possibly just something to implant in jurors' heads to scramble attempts to sort the factual.

ETA:
And so week one ends - three excellent court days for those following. Very interesting case; verdict could go either way, it seems. Well-prepared, forceful prosecution, albeit one expected soon to have to battle flaws in building the case. Defense lawyer one of the finest in Texas and has already shown flashes of ability to go for the jugular. (Even so, a plea bargain at some point next week would not totally surprise me.)
Craig Kapitan @HearsaySA
AT&T phone expert Ken Doll is done testifying. Jury has Monday off so Judge Herr can work her docket. Testimony resumes at 9:30 Tuesday

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back