NC - Already abuse suspect, mom caught injecting liquid into sick baby's IV, LE says

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Mother suspected of child abuse 'is caught on hospital security camera injecting liquid into her sick baby's IV' (Daily Mail)
A mother has allegedly been caught on camera tampering with her five-month-old baby's IV in hospital after doctors suspected child abuse.

Ladonna Parlier, 26, was filmed injecting an 'unknown substance' into her daughter Naomi's intravenous tube in North Carolina, according to police.
---
Hoping a close investigation is made of all the children in the household:
Detectives and doctors are now taking a close look at the baby's patient history.

The mother-of-four from Conover has been charged with five counts each of felony child abuse and misdemeanor child neglect after police were called to the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte on Wednesday night.
Am wondering what clued them in in the first place; the mind reels at the possiblities:
Police told WSOCTV.com that doctors had been suspicious of Parlier for some time and had just moved Naomi into a room equipped with a surveillance camera earlier that day.
At least some good news:
The baby remains in hospital and is in a stable condition, police told WBTV.
---
more, with pictures of tiny baby Naomi and her mother, at DM link above

Could this qualify as something along the lines of Munchausen by proxy? I'm never too clear on that whole thing.

'She'd get better, then go downhill, get better, then go downhill,' Timonthy Parlier, Naomi's father said in the report. It is to early to say whether the allegations could be attributed to Münchausen syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which a parent abuses a child, in order to seek attention or sympathy.

Poor little punkin. So young and already been through so much. I wonder if mom came to enjoy all the attention that was a side affect of the needed operations for cleft palate and so began meddling with baby's care to garner more.

'She'd get better, then go downhill, get better, then go downhill,' Timonthy Parlier, Naomi's father said in the report. It is to early to say whether the allegations could be attributed to Münchausen syndrome by proxy, a disorder in which a parent abuses a child, in order to seek attention or sympathy.
I wasn't clear on whether Mbp included actually physically harming a child or just inventing an illness or exaggerating existing symptoms. (And too lazy to google it right now!)

poor baby - 8 pounds at 5 months! My little pumpkin was 13 pounds at 2 months (and was born at 8 lbs). I just can't imagine a mother harming their child like that :(

I hope she comes out on the other side healthy and happy.

Mel

http://wap.wsoctv.com/wap/news/text...1&ith=0&title=Local+News&headtitle=Local+News

mother charged with abusing and neglecting her infant daughter may be suffering from post-partum depression.

Timothy Parlier told Eyewintess News on Friday that his wife had been on anti-depressant medication since Naomi Parlier was born.

Fwiw, I think MBP can involve either but usually escalates to include real life threatening injuries/ailments being inflicted. Like a drug, you need to escalate just to maintain the "high"

Also wondering why, if they had reason to suspect prior abuse of this child and/or other children, they would leave the mother alone in a room with the baby - even in a room with a camera to record what might happen. That strikes me as playing a bit fast and loose with Naomi's life as God knows what might be injected into an IV in the blinking of an eye.

Parlier's brother, Timothy Justice, is stunned by the trouble his sister now faces.

"Right now we're confused, because we thought she would not do anything of this nature," he said. "I don't think there's anything in the world that she loved more than that baby."

Family members are trying to learn what may have happened to Parlier's daughter five month old Naomi who is at Carolinas Medical Center.

"She's a good woman, I don't understand why she done what she done," Justice said. "Well the evidence says she did. I guess you can't fight evidence."

Parlier is expected to make her first court appearance of Friday afternoon.

The assistance from CMC staff was critical in this investigation, police told WBTV.

http://www.wistv.com/story/16664433...fant-daughter-police-say?clienttype=printable

the charges should be attempted murder AFAIC

I'm so tired of the 'labels' that intimate the person has a disease & therefore is less responsible or less evil (not directed at anyone here - I'm just so angry at the 'mother' right now)

I don't care if 'mother dearest' is depressed, esp. when I see the photo of tiny, helpless Naomi being held by the person who is supposed to protect her ... IMO Naomi felt something was horribly wrong deep in her vulnerable soul and it makes me cry real tears for a little baby I don't even know

I wish these women could recognize this illness in themselves and get help before they've harmed their child. The picture of Naomi with her mother is heartbreaking. She looks so tiny and frail. I see from the article Naomi has a history of health problems. I hope the medical staff can differentiate those that were likely caused by her mother.

Prayers for this angel. I suspect we will see her gain weight and out of the hospital now that she's way from her mother. What a sad statement to have to make.

ETA: I hope authorities check on her three other children. Be sure they're healthy before going forward with charges only relating to Naomi.

There are some people who will swear up and down that this is a mental disorder. I don't know. They always have a desired outcome for their behavior, which indicates to me that they are in control of themselves. It is not all that easy to harm a baby in the middle of a hospital. It takes planning. No doubt this is Munchausen by proxy, but I have my doubts as to whether this is a viable mental condition or a just a very selfish mother looking to get something for herself.

I wasn't clear on whether Mbp included actually physically harming a child or just inventing an illness or exaggerating existing symptoms. (And too lazy to google it right now!)

It can include both.

Also wondering why, if they had reason to suspect prior abuse of this child and/or other children, they would leave the mother alone in a room with the baby - even in a room with a camera to record what might happen. That strikes me as playing a bit fast and loose with Naomi's life as God knows what might be injected into an IV in the blinking of an eye.

Unless they catch her in the act, they can't prosecute or likely even remove the child from her care. What would you have them do?

It's a particularly difficult type of abuse to prove. That's why they started setting up video rooms. They can suspect all they want, but unless they can prove it, no dice. It's often hard to get CPS to act when there is clear proof of abuse.

Like Munchausen syndrome itself, it can be either. MBP isn't a disorder however, it's an act. The former is more like suicide; the latter is more like murder.

Right from wrong. Knowing that. Maybe that's just too simple. Poor baby. The scary thing to me is how pleased she looks while holding what appears to me to be a half dead baby! Gaahhhhhh!!!!!!

The doctors do not usually order a patient into a room with surveillance cameras unless they are pretty sure something weird is going on. And, yes, Mbp actually involves making your child sick so they can be admitted to the hospital. These days with the strict admission criteria, you have to be more sick than ever to be admitted. Just telling a physician anecdotally about a symptom won't work much anymore. This is incredibly rare. More common, but still rare, is plain Munchasen' s. The patient may let food spoil and then inject themselves with it, inject feces or urine under their skin to cause infections. Some swallow non-food items to get surgeries performed. It is appallingly fascinating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back