742 users online (83 members and 659 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Pines
    Posts
    2,904

    Man Adopts Adult Girlfriend as Daughter

    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...odman-adoption

    He obviously has a reason and not a good reason.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,036
    It seems to me that the new code of ethics is superiority of legal maneuvering rather than moral imperative or obligation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by JBounds View Post
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...odman-adoption

    He obviously has a reason and not a good reason.
    I'm confused by the article. It quotes the plaintiffs (Wilson's parents) as claiming the adoption is an attempt to protect the trust fund, but it also says the judge had previously ruled the trust fund could not be considered as part of the defendant's estate.

    But here's my question: if you adopt your girlfriend, don't any future sexual relations with her become incest, which is illegal?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    No, since it's not a blood relation, plus mutual consent amongst adults.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    No, since it's not a blood relation, plus mutual consent amongst adults.
    So adopting parents can have sex with their children once those children reach the age of consent? I assume it rarely happens, but I find the idea that it's legal very disturbing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63 22'N 32 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,712
    The kids are NOT all right: Teen children of polo millionaire fighting his adoption of girlfriend, 42, to 'protect fortune'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-fortune.html

    His children are not too happy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,766
    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    The kids are NOT all right: Teen children of polo millionaire fighting his adoption of girlfriend, 42, to 'protect fortune'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-fortune.html

    His children are not too happy.
    A good way for his children to get cut from his will or trust also. I can't see the courts allowing him to protect all his assets without trying to pull one over on the court by shielding his assets with his girlfriends adoption.

    The man who was killed. Scott Wilson was a University of Central Florida graduate and was working as a civil engineer and 25 years old. So for a wrongful death, how much would Wilson be expected to earn over the course of his life? Will there be punitive as well as compensatory damages?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    So adopting parents can have sex with their children once those children reach the age of consent? I assume it rarely happens, but I find the idea that it's legal very disturbing.
    Woody Allen did it.

  9. #9
    Etilema's Avatar
    Etilema is offline Being kind to the cruel results in being cruel to the kind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    Woody Allen did it.
    Actually, he did not adopt Soon-Yi. She was Mia Farrow's adopted daughter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Etilema View Post
    Actually, he did not adopt Soon-Yi. She was Mia Farrow's adopted daughter.
    I stand corrected. Actually, he was never married to MF.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I stand corrected. Actually, he was never married to MF.
    As a stepparent myself, I promise you that while I understood his actions were not illegal, they scored very high on my "ick" meter. (I understand that Allen wasn't technically Soon-Yi's stepparent, since he and Farrow weren't married. But he was close enough in my book.)

    Rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly, I wasn't able to enjoy his movies again until he stopped starring in them. Since he always paired himself with a much younger girl/woman, it was just too close to real life.



Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY UT - Michael Bowden for starving 5yo disabled girl, West Valley City, 2006
    By Marie in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM
  2. GUILTY MA - Bryan James & Jessica Silveria for child abuse, New Bedford, 2007
    By sherri79 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 02:37 AM
  3. FL - Man made girlfriend watch attack on daughter
    By GetSmart in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 05:09 AM