820 users online (131 members and 689 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Lance Armstrong Doping Scandal

http://centurylink.net/news/read.php...&cps=0&lang=en

LOS ANGELES (AP) The case against Lance Armstrong is closed. His legacy as a seven-time Tour de France champion endures.

Federal prosecutors dropped their investigation of Armstrong on Friday, ending a nearly two-year effort aimed at determining whether the world's most famous cyclist and his teammates joined in a doping program during his greatest years.
    ------

U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. announced in a press release that his office "is closing an investigation into allegations of federal criminal conduct by members and associates of a professional bicycle racing team owned in part by Lance Armstrong."

He didn't disclose the reason for the decision, though Birotte has used discretion in pursing high-profile criminal cases before. Last February, his office closed an investigation of mortgage giant Countrywide Financial Corp.

The pronouncement comes after a pair of less-than-successful cases against top sports figures accused of doping. Home run king Barry Bonds was found guilty of obstruction of justice and sentenced in December to 30 days' home detention a conviction he's appealing but prosecutors were unable to convince a jury he lied about using steroids. Roger Clemens' steroid trial is slated for April 17 after a judge declared a mistrial last summer when prosecutors showed jurors inadmissible evidence.

More at link....

No charges does not mean innocence.

No, but then again it doesn't need to. Everybody is innocent till proven guilty in any democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    No, but then again it doesn't need to. Everybody is innocent till proven guilty in any democracy.
    Legal definition between: Innocent and Not Guilty

Persons are not found Innocent by a jury. They are found to be Not Guilty. Armstrong was not charged, so we'll never know if he was innocent, but prosecutors were presuming a not guilty verdict.

I understand that, but I'm just pointing out that nobody has any need to be found innocent by a jury. Everybody is already innocent by default in a democracy, unless proven guilty of something. Its only police states that force people to prove innocence.

USADA to ban Lance Armstrong for life, strip him of all seven Tour de France wins

USADA to ban Armstrong for life, strip all 7 Tour de France titles

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Thursday night it will strip Lance Armstrong of his unprecedented seven Tour de France titles after he declared he was finished fighting the drug charges that threaten his legacy as one of the greatest cyclists of all time.
    ---
    Travis Tygart, USADA's chief executive, said Armstrong would also be hit with a lifetime ban on Friday.
    ---
    Armstrong, who retired last year, declined to enter USADA's arbitration process - his last option - because he said he was weary of fighting accusations that have dogged him for years. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he has passed as proof of his innocence during his extraordinary run of Tour titles stretching from1999-2005.
    ---
    "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes," Tygart said. "It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win."
    ---
    much more at link above

I'm in the haystack looking for that needle

I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I don't get it. He passed all his drug tests, and these are allegations he is tired of fighting? I am not a fan of Lance Armstrong, but this is just so wrong on so many levels.
    This makes me wonder at the motivation of Travis Tygart.

Is the Tour de France part of the Olympics?
    Last edited by EXIA15145; 08-24-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: I put my comment in wfgodot's quote, sorry wfgodot!

Us ada

Here's the website:
    http://www.usantidoping.org/

Here's info at their site:
    http://www.usada.org/media/statement8202012

Created in 2000, USADA is recognized by Congress as the official anti-doping agency for Olympic sports in the United States. Its investigators joined U.S. agents during the federal probe, and Tygart had dismissed Armstrong's lawsuit as an attempt at "concealing the truth." He said the agency is motivated by one goal - exposing cheaters in sport.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Tygart"]Travis Tygart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Last edited by EXIA15145; 08-24-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: deleted repeated line

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/sport/...html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...iolating-rule/

So, according to what I'm reading, Lance Armstrong has not been found guilty, but he's tired of the toll this is taking on his family, so he's quitting. That makes Travis Tygart say Lance is guilty. WTH?

This is starting to sound familiar. It's wrong, but it is familiar.
    Last edited by EXIA15145; 08-24-2012 at 01:44 AM.

I don't get a warm feel when I see Lance, he does nothing for me but
    when a man passes the tests given, he should get a clean bill. I'm tired
    of them pushing him around. Someone feels they have something to gain
    with this fight.

I agree with Lance. It is not a fight worth fighting anymore. He knows who
    he is and is satisfied with his accomplishments.

goz

I'm feeling bad for Lance

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    I don't get a warm feel when I see Lance, he does nothing for me but
    when a man passes the tests given, he should get a clean bill. I'm tired
    of them pushing him around. Someone feels they have something to gain
    with this fight.

I agree with Lance. It is not a fight worth fighting anymore. He knows who
    he is and is satisfied with his accomplishments.

goz
    [[B]][/ I'm getting the impression someone wants to make a name for himself in a high profile case, IMHEO. Read the wiki link for the guy behind all this. Lance Armstrong? From what I'm getting, he's put out a huge chunk of money on his defense. The other guy should have to pay Lance's attorneys bills. I think Lance dropped the fight for the reason that the time, energy and monetary value are messing with his family life, and after all these years he just wants his family life back to normal.

To add to the story:

http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/news/...umentID=303025

Within the sensenbrenner letter there is a link to a response from USADA which is all gobbledygoob, IMO.

I am neither a Lance Armstrong fan, nor a Sensenbrenner fan, but it does appear that USADA (using 9 Million dollars of taxpayer funding) is running a witch hunting club.

I think that the USADA, needs to be investigated by the DOJ. IMO.

I know Travis Tygart, the guy who prosecuted Lance, and I can guarantee that he is a straight shooter and believes to his very core in clean sport free from corruption. Two years ago he was given a detailed confession about what went on in Lance's former team (US Postal, yes, sponsored by the Post Office) and he did what any prosecutor would do...he started an investigation. There was also a federal government investigation into possible racketeering opened up at the time too Eventually more than 10 cyclists and multiple team staff came forward and gave Travis and USADA detailed information. They were all prepared to testify against Lance at an arbitration hearing. Travis had no choice but to prosecute this, it's his job and there was overwhelming evidence against Lance.

This is not just about Lance using performance enhancing drugs to win bike races. It's about:

- Lance and team management pressuring other team members into using drugs. This happened many, many times over the years and it's a horrible thing to do.

- Lance and team management acquiring drugs and selling them to team members...trafficking drugs. This included extremely unsafe experimental drugs like Hemassist that were never even approved for human use.

- Lance paid large amounts of money (bribes) to the governing body of the sport, the UCI, to have them look the other way and cover up his doping. The real injustice here is that the UCI management has not been held accountable. The top of the sport is extremely corrupt and Lance was able to use his fame and large amounts of cash to basically join in cahoots with the UCI Presidents.

As for Lance and cancer. I think the inspiration he has provided is terrific. But sadly, his accomplishments came while using some of the same dangerous drugs that doctors only prescribe to cancer patients with serious anemia. Many here have probably had loved ones, or even themselves, take erythropoietin and know how that drug should only be taken with great care.

So Lance did all he could...he gave in to USADA and is doing his best to win the PR war. But don't be fooled into thinking he's a victim of the system...far from it. When you play the system like he did there's going to be some pushback from the true watchdogs.

im totally confused by this,how can they say accuse him of being on drugs when he passed all the tests given?

just because hes tired of the strain that its putting on his family and giving up doesnt make him guilty.

im not a fan of the guy or cycling but this is bull crap.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast